"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #3221
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That is called a dress......
No, not a dress. The issue is above the waist but below the chest.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #3222
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That's called an Empire waist...

Old 07-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #3223
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
That is called pregnancy. Ask any mother in her third month. Too small for maternity clothes, too big for her regular clothes.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:36 AM   #3224
Master Chef

Psst, Addie, do we need to take up a collection for a baby gift for Andy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
...My sleep problems are a combination of age, chronic insomnia for years and a restless ogre. I know the rubber mallet will take care of one of those problems
So will a spare bed. I love sleeping alone. After all, once our Other Half is asleep the party is over, so why not get a good night's rest?
Old 07-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #3225
Executive Chef

I woke up during the night and my Cpap had stopped working. I tried to get it going again, and then noticed that the clock was out....along with our electricity. I looked out to see if the nieghbors has lights, but from our battery clock I could see that it was 4AM. Everyone was still asleep! I called the electric company and reported it to a recorded message. Within 15 min the electric came back on. I looked out again and saw a light in the window of a neighbor who has an adult daughter with Systic Fibrosis....maybe she sleeps with electrical equipment that sets off an alarm when the power goes out and possibly they had called before me. The power had been out for an hour. I'm so glad it came back on because my grandson is coming for a visit today and no electricity with a 5 year old on a rainy day would not be fun.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #3226
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

So will a spare bed. I love sleeping alone. After all, once our Other Half is asleep the party is over, so why not get a good night's rest?
I really don't like sleeping alone, cats are fine but I want the ogre.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #3227
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

Looks like it. That third month is when you can't go anywhere because nothing fits you. But then all of a sudden when it is time to shop for maternity clothes, you can dress faster than your partner.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #3228
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Yes, that would help prevent insomnia. I was addressing how to stay energised once you hadn't slept well, i.e. during the day ....Vit B complex is a real boon for that.
Better to deal with the cause (ie sleeplessness) than treat the result ie the lack of energy.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #3229
Executive Chef

Quote:
BC, I feel your pain. I live with this too. L, XL, XXL can vary quite a bit from company to company. I try to stick to one or two vendors that I can depend on.
In women's clothing price often comes into it. Manufacturers of less expensive ranges tend to skimp on fabric and under-size their product and at the other end of the spectrum makers tend to be more generous. This isn't set in stone of course.

Really, "small", "medium" , "large", etc., doesn't mean anything unless you know what the manufacturer means by it.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #3230
Chef Extraordinaire

I too stick with names that I know will fit me properly. My biggest complaint is tops. I never buy front button tops. I get gapitis. If I buy a top that doesn't gap at the buttons, then the shoulders are too big. If I buy to fit my shoulders, I get the dreaded gapitis! And then being as tall as I am, EVERYTHING I buy has to be altered. It's a good thing I learned to sew as a kid. (My father taught me.) Of course there is a benefit to that problem. Because I am under 4'10" tall, I am considered a legal midget according to the rules of the IRS. It is a medical condition. Should I have to pay someone to alter my clothing, it is tax deductible as a medical expense. Only once did I ever have enough in medical expenses that I could list, was I able to take advantage of that little quirk.