"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-31-2014, 05:15 PM   #3261
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm ripping my hair out. Got up this morning, tried to log on to various iDevices, nothing. Nada. Played around with them, even taking them outside. My LTE didn't work. My WiFi didn't work. My 3G on my phone didn't work. I finally did get some sporadic service, but it is soooo slooowww, like dialup only worse. I could neither make nor take calls. I finally called Verizon on the landline, thinking there must have been an outage. No outage, the best they could offer is that I'm eligible for an upgrade. Then I was put on hold to wait for a technician forever. I finally hung up.

I am not happy.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:33 PM   #3262
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'm ripping my hair out. Got up this morning, tried to log on to various iDevices, nothing. Nada. Played around with them, even taking them outside. My LTE didn't work. My WiFi didn't work. My 3G on my phone didn't work. I finally did get some sporadic service, but it is soooo slooowww, like dialup only worse. I could neither make nor take calls. I finally called Verizon on the landline, thinking there must have been an outage. No outage, the best they could offer is that I'm eligible for an upgrade. Then I was put on hold to wait for a technician forever. I finally hung up.

I am not happy.
Well phooey on that. Is Verizon the only company you can use? What would an upgrade do?

Old 07-31-2014, 06:04 PM   #3263
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Well phooey on that. Is Verizon the only company you can use? What would an upgrade do?

Yes, Verizon is about it out here in the sticks. It's also the only system that will work with my particular iPad. A phone upgrade would apparently allow me to make and receive phone calls. I'll try tech support again after I'm done being PO'ed about being put on hold for so long.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:18 PM   #3264
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I know the frustration. I have been three days without my comcast conection. And it is comcast that is my provider. So I call them through Skype. The technician asked me to shut off my computer. If I did that, I would lose my connection to her. So I just told her my son was a computer geek and I will have his take care of it tonight. There better be a reduction in my computer bill.

I took two Vicodin this morning before I went to physical therapy. At least that was a success. Instead of the five minutes, I went on to ten and didn't even realize it. I also found the position that gives my legs the most workout. I could feel it in my thighs. Then I too a short nap when I got home. Woke up and those Vicodin really kicked in. Most folks get sleepy when they take a seditive. I get ambitious. So I started to clean! And clean! And clean some more. Then when those two wore off, I could feel the pain. So I took two more. Back to cleaning. Washed floors, cleaned the oven, all the counters, everything in the kitchen. Then I came out into the big room. Now that room is spotless. The only thing I forgot to clean was the coffee maker. Boy will I feel it tomorrow.

My order came today. I have been meaning to get me a garlic keeper for years. But everytime I placed an order anywhere that was kitchen stuff, I always forgot about it. So I finally ordered one. It came today and lo and behold, the lid was smashed into smithereens. I called the company right away and they are going to send one out for me immediately. They told me I could do what I wanted with the broken one. But the one item I am really happy about is my SS butter dish that has a lid and holds two sticks of butter. I also got a new kitchen scale. I looked at the digital ones, but then I would have to keep a supply of batteries on hand. And I guess the eyes are really getting old, because I always have a difficult time reading a digital readout. This one is a spring one and a knob for adjustment. The numbers are really big and very easy to read. But the best thing is it has a bowl on top and when I grind meat, it will go right into the bowl. No fuss, no mess. It is spring scale operated.

But I am really ticked off about the lid to the garlic keeper. After all these years of forgetting to order one.

But this month there will be no on line buying. I need to really stock up the pantry and freezer. Food stamps will help with the food, but it is the cleaning supplies that will kill me. I am out of everything.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:30 PM   #3265
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Yes, Verizon is about it out here in the sticks. It's also the only system that will work with my particular iPad. A phone upgrade would apparently allow me to make and receive phone calls. I'll try tech support again after I'm done being PO'ed about being put on hold for so long.

Now this is just bizarre. My systems seem to be restored, and the phone is working now. Devices are no longer on "extension" services. WiFi and LTE have been restored! After not working all day! I still think a local tower had an outage, or something got screwed up.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:16 PM   #3266
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Now this is just bizarre. My systems seem to be restored, and the phone is working now. Devices are no longer on "extension" services. WiFi and LTE have been restored! After not working all day! I still think a local tower had an outage, or something got screwed up.
Someone is just playing with your mind. Where is Rod Sterling when you need him?

do do do do
do do do do
do do do do

Old 07-31-2014, 07:21 PM   #3267
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Someone is just playing with your mind. Where is Rod Sterling when you need him?

do do do do
do do do do
do do do do

Yep, it was the Verizon gremlins!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:34 PM   #3268
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My order came today. I have been meaning to get me a garlic keeper for years. But everytime I placed an order anywhere that was kitchen stuff, I always forgot about it. So I finally ordered one. It came today and lo and behold, the lid was smashed into smithereens. I called the company right away and they are going to send one out for me immediately. They told me I could do what I wanted with the broken one. But the one item I am really happy about is my SS butter dish that has a lid and holds two sticks of butter. I also got a new kitchen scale. I looked at the digital ones, but then I would have to keep a supply of batteries on hand. And I guess the eyes are really getting old, because I always have a difficult time reading a digital readout. This one is a spring one and a knob for adjustment. The numbers are really big and very easy to read. But the best thing is it has a bowl on top and when I grind meat, it will go right into the bowl. No fuss, no mess. It is spring scale operated.

But I am really ticked off about the lid to the garlic keeper. After all these years of forgetting to order one.

But this month there will be no on line buying. I need to really stock up the pantry and freezer. Food stamps will help with the food, but it is the cleaning supplies that will kill me. I am out of everything.
My garlic keeper is a Mexican bowl I bought at the Mexican market in San Antonio.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:40 PM   #3269
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
My garlic keeper is a Mexican bowl I bought at the Mexican market in San Antonio.
My garlic presently sits in a basket on a small kitchen cart. That's fine as long as the bulb is big. The basket has large openings. So when I have broken off too much, I can't put them in the basket. They have to go in a zippy bag of some sort.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:00 PM   #3270
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
That's likely what happened. The whole upgrade thing was ridiculous, why do they put people on phones that have ZERO idea what they are talking about.

We had an all day event with Rob's gaming group. The local tower must have been on the fritz, because all day nobody on Verizon could get data to work well at all. Either it would be painfully slow or not work at all. Around 5 that evening, everything started working again. Enough people must have called and had them reset the tower. This is the first time that I'd had this happen. As expensive and slimy as Verizon is, I have to hand it to them for coverage and pretty good reliability.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote