"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-31-2014, 10:21 PM   #3271
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
That's likely what happened. The whole upgrade thing was ridiculous, why do they put people on phones that have ZERO idea what they are talking about.

We had an all day event with Rob's gaming group. The local tower must have been on the fritz, because all day nobody on Verizon could get data to work well at all. Either it would be painfully slow or not work at all. Around 5 that evening, everything started working again. Enough people must have called and had them reset the tower. This is the first time that I'd had this happen. As expensive and slimy as Verizon is, I have to hand it to them for coverage and pretty good reliability.

AhHA! Mine started working again about the same time. And yes, I agree with the expensive and slimy Verizon descriptor.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:19 PM   #3272
Master Chef

"Expensive and slimy" pretty much sums up why we left! Fortunately, we had other options. I must say after being at our daughter's in the sticks and Himself using 3/4G just as often as he uses the WiFi at home (to listen to his precious NPR ), our latest cell phone bill wasn't anywhere near what I thought it would be - and about 1/3 our old monthly Verizon bill.

I am annoyed all over again because of the Family Feud going on with my (and Addie's) favorite grocery store chain. Long pent-up anger and jealousy have crippled the 71-store chain, is wreaking havoc with 25,000 employees, is inconveniencing who knows how many shoppers (has to be well over a million), and is financially crippling all the farms who were promised their product would be sold in the chain's stores. Hopefully, the farmers all had contracts with the store so that they still see some monies even though the store isn't accepting deliveries. It's like War of the Roses, except one of the Arties is looking more like a stinkweed.

If you are at all interested in a story that Hollywood would reject because it was too outlandish, this is about the best article I've seen so far that describes much of what has led up to this stalemate without being too confusing: The Last Stand for the Middle Class Is Taking Place in a Parking Lot in Massachusetts - Esquire

Old 08-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #3273
Master Chef

it has been barely a year since the announcement came that our company got sold/bought. After, oh, about 370 employees got canned during this year, today we had e-mail seating in our e-mail boxes that this new (for us) company just got sold/bought.
What now? Who are they going to get rid of now? How more people are going to loose their jobs? Their lovely hood for the sake of a president who is going to walk out with millions? I am very much pro capitalism, but it is not capitalism any more. I do not know what it is.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #3274
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
"Expensive and slimy" pretty much sums up why we left! Fortunately, we had other options. I must say after being at our daughter's in the sticks and Himself using 3/4G just as often as he uses the WiFi at home (to listen to his precious NPR ), our latest cell phone bill wasn't anywhere near what I thought it would be - and about 1/3 our old monthly Verizon bill.

I am annoyed all over again because of the Family Feud going on with my (and Addie's) favorite grocery store chain. Long pent-up anger and jealousy have crippled the 71-store chain, is wreaking havoc with 25,000 employees, is inconveniencing who knows how many shoppers (has to be well over a million), and is financially crippling all the farms who were promised their product would be sold in the chain's stores. Hopefully, the farmers all had contracts with the store so that they still see some monies even though the store isn't accepting deliveries. It's like War of the Roses, except one of the Arties is looking more like a stinkweed.

If you are at all interested in a story that Hollywood would reject because it was too outlandish, this is about the best article I've seen so far that describes much of what has led up to this stalemate without being too confusing: The Last Stand for the Middle Class Is Taking Place in a Parking Lot in Massachusetts - Esquire
Wow. Corporate greed and that mind set has gotten so entrenched that they don't even see that paying the workers well, at least in this case, has been giving really good profit.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #3275
Executive Chef

Well, now I'm not getting any DC notifications at all. Not in mail, not in Spam, not in my DC folder.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #3276
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Wow. Corporate greed and that mind set has gotten so entrenched that they don't even see that paying the workers well, at least in this case, has been giving really good profit.
The corporate revolution (that's what I call this) has been going on for longer than I've been alive. That's why unions were started a century back. The business owners, and boards of directors were getting more and more wealthy, while the working class became closer to slave labor, with minimum pay. When things got bad enough, the workers rose up, united, and formed unions.

Then the unions became a problem, allowing poor work ethic to become normal, with workers getting too much for too little. And now, the pendulum is swinging back to the owner's side, rather than the worker's side.

It's a sure bet that corporations will give the workers the minimum that they can get away with to maximize profits, which puts money in their own pockets.

This pendulum swing has been going on for a long time. It's time again for workers to rebel against overbearing corporate executives, and for consumers to start demanding fair prices for goods. Do I see it happening in the near future, probably not.

We've created a society, and government that just doesn't function well. The breakdown of nuclear families, and strong moral ethics has made money and personal wealth more important than values that support strong communities, more important that integrity, more important than doing the right thing, simply because it's the right thing. Personally, to me, the right thing is that which lifts oneself, one's family, and one's community to a more ethical, and better life.

Ok, 'nuff said. That's where I stand.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:41 AM   #3277
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Decades ago, that grocery chain was split between two cousins with differing opinions of what made a business successful. The stores ran very well under the CEO cousin who felt you had a successful chain by offering value to shoppers and rewarding your employees who made the stores successful. The other cousin managed to get the advantage on the board a year ago and replace his cousin with two CEOs with a record of killing companies off. It seems that the swing vote holder is tired of being in the family business and just wants to take her chips, cash out, and go do whatever rich people do. It's sad that ONE pouty, self-entitled rich witch can mess with the lives and livelihoods of 25,000 employees plus all the suppliers.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #3278
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
...It's sad that ONE pouty, self-entitled rich witch can mess with the lives and livelihoods of 25,000 employees plus all the suppliers.

I think this is an unfair characterization.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #3279
Master Chef

You're right Andy, that was too harsh. It's stubbornness on both sides wanting what they want and not willing to compromise that is really messing with workers and shoppers alike.

I especially feel bad for those workers and suppliers who need this to be resolved quickly for the sake of their financial stability. It would be interesting to see what the board would do IF everyone was able to call off work on Monday. What would they do if the only people reporting to work were the store managers, there only to unlock the doors? WooWee would that be fun!
Old 08-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #3280
Master Chef

There are just some days that I'd rather be a mattress tester, or fishing lure tester, than a telecommunication technician, especially when I have to deal with AT&T!

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote