"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #3331
Master Chef

Mad Cook, I feel your pain. I hate this incompetence. But in all honesty I think England been hit by the same bug that bit America in the last 20 years or so. It is not about private or state company. It is complete careless attitude. Nobody caress, nobody pays attention. The customer service runs from service when they see customer.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #3332
Chef Extraordinaire

Pride in one's work no longer exists. Too bad.

When I was doing Temp work, you would be surprised how many call backs I got from customers because of the quality of my work. At one company I did a job for was to catch up on the filing that the secretary seemed to never have time to do. Every time someone was looking for a piece of paper, they always had to go through piles of papers that had not made it to the file cabinets. One by one, folder by folder I got four filing cabinets in a neat order. Papers were sticking out or just jammed into a folder without ever taking the folder out to put the paper in it.

It took me two weeks to get those four filing cabinets in order. And I filed the piles of papers the secretary never seemed to have the time for. The head boss came out to take a look at the cabinets when I was finished. He was astounded by the neatness. What a dressing down he gave the secretary. What it came down to was it would cost her the job if she found filing so beneath her. She made the mistake of telling him that she hated filing. That she had more important things to do. Wrong thing to say. About a month later I got a call back. The secretary was gone and I was to sit at her desk until they hired a new secretary. They offered me the job, but I turned it down. I loved doing Temp Work and didn't want to be tied down to just one job.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #3333
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Oh, my, Mad Cook. DH would be livid. He would still be out there screaming at everyone!! That's terrible. I hope you aren't inconvenienced too long.
The plot thickens. What I didn't say was that the gas has been off all day. Before I went out at 3pm I was given a number to ring when I got home and "they" would come and turn the gas back on no matter what time it was even (and I quote) "in the middle of the night". I got a lift home and as we turned into the road at 9pm the the gasmen I'd spoken to earier were standing chatting by their van. We stopped and I got out of my friend's car and said "Hello, I'm here now. Are you coming to do my purge and relight?" And the reply? "No, We finished at 8pm. Ring the office".

When I got in I rang the number I'd been given. "Oh yes, madam, the duty engineer will be round within a couple of hours". 3/4 of an hour later I was rung up by the engineer to say he was too busy and wouldn't be coming. Several phone calls later I was getting crosser and crosser. I decided it was time to play my trump cards - "I am an old age pensioner and I haven't had a hot drink or a meal all day" and "I used to work for the Gas emergency services and I know the score. And I also know your boss". Engineer was ringing my doorbell within the hour. I don't know which worked but one of them did.

I'm not a great shouter. I usually find that firm insisting does it but needs must and there was a fair bit of shouting going on tonight.

Still got the hole at the bottom of the drive and it'll still be there next week. But we'll worry about that then.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #3334
Master Chef

Good for you, MC! Sometimes you have to pull out every card you can to get results. I sure hope it's all done soon and you can return back to your normal routine.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #3335
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

Yes, good for you, MC! I hear you about shouting, the one time I had to resort to it was when Yosemite Sam was supposed to install our DirecTV system but didn't feel like it and was perfectly content just to leave the equipment for us to install it ourselves, as he'd forgotten his ladder. We found him a ladder. Much merriment ensued (not). I should have reported him.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #3336
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Mad Cook, I feel your pain. I hate this incompetence. But in all honesty I think England been hit by the same bug that bit America in the last 20 years or so. It is not about private or state company. It is complete careless attitude. Nobody caress, nobody pays attention. The customer service runs from service when they see customer.
I think a lot of it comes down to the person answering the phone not being allowed to own his or her own calls anymore. When I first worked at British Gas a customer would ring up with a problem and I had to sort it out. If I didn't know the answer I had to promise to find out and ring her back. Which I did. But latterly the "customer service agents" dealt with an enquiry by filling in a form and putting it in a tray on the desk where it was collected by a floor walker who handed it on to someone else and eventually it got to the person who could give the information. This could result in the customer finally getting a result a week after the initial contact whereas if the agent had been allowed to follow it up herself it would have been dealt with in 10 minutes.

This is all supposed to be more efficient.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #3337
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
It's been about a month since my neighbour sprayed her anti-critter, garlic concoction in my yard and on Shreddy's grave. It worked. No more signs of skunk digging.

Well, today, it had stopped working. I guess all that rain we had washed it away. I found a biggish hole at the edge of the patio stone that covers Shreddy's grave. There were bits of Shreddy fur. I'm not a happy camper.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #3338
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It's been about a month since my neighbour sprayed her anti-critter, garlic concoction in my yard and on Shreddy's grave. It worked. No more signs of skunk digging.

Well, today, it had stopped working. I guess all that rain we had washed it away. I found a biggish hole at the edge of the patio stone that covers Shreddy's grave. There were bits of Shreddy fur. I'm not a happy camper.
Darn critters I'm sorry, taxy.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #3339
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

Oh no, that's not good. Poor Shreddy.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:06 PM   #3340
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Oh TL, I am so sorry. Will your neighbor give you the recipe so you can keep the grave sprayed?