Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Be very careful with that. That could be someone else pretending to be PP trying to phish personal info from you. I never respond to those inquires.

No, it's them! They block my account every time I reach $2,000.00 in purchases. Then I have to close the account and open a new one. They pestered me until I opened a credit card with them and then they told me I could not use it for my online purchases using PayPal. They keep trying to get my bank account information, they are just a pain to deal with. They are also the only company I have ever dealt with that it is impossible to eventually talk to a human being. Not a customer friendly company IMO.

Years ago when PP was still a new operation I withdrew my checking account info from them as I didn't feel comfortable with them having that info. But with CC info, no problem. I still use them today. In fact, I bought an Ebay item just last night and checked out using PP.

As far as having a high credit limit, take this extreme example. If you have a $100,000 credit limit with a current zero balance owed and you're applying for a home loan. That high credit limit equates to a potential monthly payment of $,1000 a month which gets factored into your debt to income ratio when applying for that loan. And that can mean getting your loan approved or not for some people regardless of a good credit score.

Yes, my DIL who used to work at a new car dealership told me about that, but it hasn't had that effect for me. I don't know all the criteria they take into consideration, but I would think my history would factor in. They would see that I have never carried more than a small balance on any of my credit cards and always paid them off quickly, paying way more than the minimum balance. Of course, at our age, we will not be applying for a mortgage, but so far have never had an issue with a car loan. But I do understand what you're saying. It might effect someone else in different circumstances.

i consider paypal to be the safest way to pay for my online purchases. i don't have any hard evidence to back up this confidence in paypal, other than they appear to be very security conscious in their operations.
i still use a cc for most purchases, though. for me, paypal has been good for only about 1/3 of my purchases.
I use PayPal whenever I can for online purchases. I don't like giving my CC info to more companies than I have to. When I use PayPal, the company gets paid; I have a copy of the receipt online at PayPal; and I haven't given out CC info to yet another company.

I use PayPal whenever I can for online purchases. I don't like giving my CC info to more companies than I have to. When I use PayPal, the company gets paid; I have a copy of the receipt online at PayPal; and I haven't given out CC info to yet another company.

Yes, it is a good concept. I have no way to prove that my CC leak was due to PayPal. At some point in time I might give PayPal another chance, if I happen to want something from Ebay. So far I haven't had any other issues with giving out my one credit card number online.

Yes, it is a good concept. I have no way to prove that my CC leak was due to PayPal. At some point in time I might give PayPal another chance, if I happen to want something from Ebay. So far I haven't had any other issues with giving out my one credit card number online.
So far, in many years of PayPal use, I haven't had an issue. I have a personal account and a merchant account with them. Once in a while it is the easiest way for a client to pay me. So, they have my biz account info or they wouldn't be able to deposit the money in my account.

Good grief. I brought a 4.6 lb. box of pictures and old newspaper articles to the post office to ship to a cousin in Canada. Shipping would be $42, and I would have to fill out a Customs form. I said, no thanks, it would probably be cheaper to drive them up and deliver them myself! No wonder the postal service is in trouble! :mad: Will have to check out UPS and FedEx rates. The very nice lady at the PO did say it would be cheaper to break up the shipment and send the stuff in several padded envelopes.

Last edited:
So far, in many years of PayPal use, I haven't had an issue. I have a personal account and a merchant account with them. Once in a while it is the easiest way for a client to pay me. So, they have my biz account info or they wouldn't be able to deposit the money in my account.

TL, how does PP make their money. As far as I know I have never had to pay a fee for using them. :angel:

Addie, I believe that the merchant/seller pays the fees. I have a merchant account with them, I haven't used it yet
(I set it up so I could sell on eBay). My daughter is a merchant and she pays fees to PayPal.

Last edited:
Part of the reason why I stopped selling on Ebay years ago.......the combined Ebay and PP fees became a bit too expensive for small private sellers like myself.
Today, Ebay is made up of mostly merchants.

Part of the reason why I stopped selling on Ebay years ago.......the combined Ebay and PP fees became a bit too expensive for small private sellers like myself.
Today, Ebay is made up of mostly merchants.
Stirling sold a bunch of old comics and dragon magazines on Ebay years ago. After the shipping and all those fees, it really wasn't worth the effort. Sure, the buyer paid for shipping, but Stirling had to spend time buying all those envelopes, envelope padding, etc. and take it all to the post office and get tracking receipts.

Good grief. I brought a 4.6 lb. box of pictures and old newspaper articles to the post office to ship to a cousin in Canada. Shipping would be $42, and I would have to fill out a Customs form. I said, no thanks, it would probably be cheaper to drive them up and deliver them myself! No wonder the postal service is in trouble! :mad: Will have to check out UPS and FedEx rates. The very nice lady at the PO did say it would be cheaper to break up the shipment and send the stuff in several padded envelopes.

I have seen an advertisement on TV for one-price boxes, but I don't remember if it was FedEx or UPS. It's priced by the size of the box, not the weight.

Addie, I believe that the merchant/seller pays the fees. I have a merchant account with them, I haven't used it yet
(I set it up so I could sell on eBay). My daughter is a merchant and she pays fees to PayPal.

It's the same with credit cards. Merchants pay a fee to the credit card company. Accepting credit cards allows them to sell a lot more merchandise so it's worth it to them to pay the fee.

My neighbor was a stay-at-home mom and she had a business going selling on Ebay. She bought things at flea markets and thrift shops and sold them on Ebay. She did her postage online and scheduled the mailman to pick up the packages. You have to know what items will sell quickly and how much you can expect to get for them.

I've actually had better luck selling on my local Craigslist. Of course, you've got your share of shady "buyers" to deal with too but I've learned to weed them out before they got to my doorstep. ::))

I have seen an advertisement on TV for one-price boxes, but I don't remember if it was FedEx or UPS. It's priced by the size of the box, not the weight.

Thanks, Carol, I forgot about those. "If it fits, it ships." Wonder if they ship to Canada.

:LOL:

I checked, it's even more than the quote I got at the PO yesterday. Ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom