"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #3351
Chef Extraordinaire

Problem is--it is my business account. I can get in it using her password...just haven't figured out how to reset the password back to mine for my accounts. Good thing is that my "pile" of mail on the server hasn't been deleted. Grrrr....still grring...grrrrrrrr.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #3352
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Problem is--it is my business account. I can get in it using her password...just haven't figured out how to reset the password back to mine for my accounts. Good thing is that my "pile" of mail on the server hasn't been deleted. Grrrr....still grring...grrrrrrrr.
I realize it's your biz account and that your clients don't have that email addy. But, you should still have backup email, and preferably, more than one.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #3353
Chef Extraordinaire

I have owned my domain name since 1996 and use it for email forwarding only. I have it set to forward to a Gmail account and then I download it to my laptop because I like Outlook. This way, my email is always available from anywhere. With Gmail, you can set different return addresses, so I can make it look like it's coming from my domain, my Gmail account, or my Cox account. But it all ends up in the same place. As an added bonus, Gmail catches a whole lot of spam, so I never see it.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #3354
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I got my own domain in ~1998. I added the .ca version in 2004, when it became easier to get a .ca domain. I gave up the .com version a few years ago. All my email forwards to my Gmail account, just like GG. I usually access it on the web, but I also access it using Thunderbird using IMAP, which means it stays in Gmail, but I can look at it and reply to it. I can also delete or move it with IMAP.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #3355
Master Chef

Yesterday, when we came home there were two messages on the phone, from some “officer Brad Williams”, yeah right. Heavy accent. “You have a criminal case #... against you, I am with investigating office of … in Washington DC “I do not even remember what office, mostly because I could not understand, ”you have to call this number …... to talk about your problem”

My wife almost had a hardtack; I was calm enough to call my friend, lawyer, who of course told me not to call anybody or to talk to anybody. After I spoke to him, I Googled the number. I guess it was a scam of a sort, there were a whole bunch of messages on line of the same exact call, same exact message. I guess they are targeting venerable people who would be scared and called back and give up all kind of personal information. Bastards.

P.S. I was not as scared of the call, I knew I have not done anything, but my wife's reaction scared even more, She probably thought I was a KGB operative, of some sleeper sell.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #3356
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Yesterday, when we came home there were two messages on the phone, from some “officer Brad Williams”, yeah right. Heavy accent. “You have a criminal case #... against you, I am with investigating office of … in Washington DC “I do not even remember what office, mostly because I could not understand, ”you have to call this number …... to talk about your problem”

My wife almost had a hardtack; I was calm enough to call my friend, lawyer, who of course told me not to call anybody or to talk to anybody. After I spoke to him, I Googled the number. I guess it was a scam of a sort, there were a whole bunch of messages on line of the same exact call, same exact message. I guess they are targeting venerable people who would be scared and called back and give up all kind of personal information. Bastards.

P.S. I was not as scared of the call, I knew I have not done anything, but my wife's reaction scared even more, She probably thought I was a KGB operative, of some sleeper sell.
Charlie, they know you're trying to thrust your Russian Pancakes into the homes of innocent Americans. It's a well known conspiracy. Buddy, you can come to my house and we'll eat pancakes together, with real Michigan blueberries.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:43 AM   #3357
Master Chef

my petty vent is that some people think they're better than another, when they're not. they're people, too; sometimes i think that that gets to be somehow forgotten. to them. not to other folks. we've various personalities, & friends, & things we have in life & stuff we love.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #3358
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Charlie, they know you're trying to thrust your Russian Pancakes into the homes of innocent Americans. It's a well known conspiracy. ...

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I knew you are a good chef/cook Chef, but I did not know you are a stand up comedian on a side.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #3359
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I knew you are a good chef/cook Chef, but I did not know you are a stand up comedian on a side.
The Chief is a man of many talents.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #3360
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Why do people drive large vehicles with trailers so darned fast?

On our way back from the mountains a truck passed us (big dual tire tandem axle) hauling a trailer with a huge a/c unit, the type you would see on the side of an office building. I was going 75, he had to be going over 80. Not long after he passed us, we hear a loud BANG, see lots of black smoke and he starts swirving all over the road, steel belted rubber coming down like rain. How he managed not to hit the person in the other lane is beyond me, that SUV did some pretty fancy maneuvering as did the rest of us.

Either he was driving faster than those tires were rated or they were in poor condition. Either way he came really close to hurting a lot of people or even killing someone. That is a huge load to be driving that fast.
Most lorries/trucks over here seem to have speed limiters fitted. Not sure if it's the law or whether it is to stop driver's inadvertently (oh, yeah!) going over the speed limit for heavy goods vehicles, which is 60 MPH even on the motorways.

Over the last few years they have tightened up the "syllabus" for the driving test in the UK to include a written test as well as the driven one. It doesn't seem to have done any good. I was tailgated and horn-blasted last night for being so stupid as to drive at 39 MPH on a 40 MPH limited, very dangerous road. I wasn't aware that a 40 MPH speed limit meant you have to drive faster than 40 MPH (sarcasm off). The idiot doing the bullying (because that's what it amounted to) eventually overtook me on a double white line (ie "NO OVERTAKING") on a blind bend at about 60 MPH!!! Not a rare occurrence on that road.