"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #3361
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It's been about a month since my neighbour sprayed her anti-critter, garlic concoction in my yard and on Shreddy's grave. It worked. No more signs of skunk digging.

Well, today, it had stopped working. I guess all that rain we had washed it away. I found a biggish hole at the edge of the patio stone that covers Shreddy's grave. There were bits of Shreddy fur. I'm not a happy camper.
It's probably shutting the door after the horse has bolted but some years ago we had problems with a fox digging in Mum's garden where my cat had been buried. We settled its hash by getting some thin dowelling about the thickness of a pencil, cutting it down to a bout 12 inches and sticking it in the ground so that it stood about an inch above ground level all over and round the grave. It did the trick. Wouldn't help the smelliness though

Old 08-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #3362
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
It's probably shutting the door after the horse has bolted but some years ago we had problems with a fox digging in Mum's garden where my cat had been buried. We settled its hash by getting some thin dowelling about the thickness of a pencil, cutting it down to a bout 12 inches and sticking it in the ground so that it stood about an inch above ground level all over and round the grave. It did the trick. Wouldn't help the smelliness though
We haven't had any skunk smell issues. I wonder if that would work for a skunk. Skunks are awfully good diggers.

I think it was back last night, but it couldn't get very far with the heavy stones I piled around the edges.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #3363
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
... I was tailgated and horn-blasted last night for being so stupid as to drive at 39 MPH on a 40 MPH limited, very dangerous road. I wasn't aware that a 40 MPH speed limit meant you have to drive faster than 40 MPH...
Huh, that sort of thing happens around here in the 40 zone...if you're doing 45! I swear the idiot drivers around here think that the speed limit posted indicates the SLOWEST speed you are to maintain.

When I get a tailgater and I feel I'm speeding enough, I usually slow down to the speed limit - or an MPH or two slower yet. Usually gets them to back off after a minute. Meanwhile, I'm busy scanning the side of the road to see if there is a wide enough strip of land I can pull off onto safely enough and let the jerk pass me.

I swear I'm going to print up and sell bumper stickers that say "I refuse to get a speeding ticket because you want to go faster". After all, the lead driver is the one who's going to get dinged.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:07 PM   #3364
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When someone tailgates me, I get nervous. When I get nervous, I drive slower. I often tap my brakes to signal that I don't want to be tailgaited. It even works more often than not.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #3365
Master Chef

Quote:
When someone tailgates me, I get nervous. When I get nervous, I drive slower. I often tap my brakes to signal that I don't want to be tailgaited. It even works more often than not.
I do that on two lane country roads and sometimes put my turning signal on as I pull towards the side of the road. It amazes me how many people refuse to pass me until I'm almost at a complete stop. As they drive by they always look at me as though I'm completely nuts, how do they know?
Old 08-23-2014, 07:41 AM   #3366
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I do that on two lane country roads and sometimes put my turning signal on as I pull towards the side of the road. It amazes me how many people refuse to pass me until I'm almost at a complete stop. As they drive by they always look at me as though I'm completely nuts, how do they know?
More than once I have signaled and turned into the next street -- meaning to let the tail-gater past -- only to have him/her turn into that street behind me. Phooey.

I'm more and more apprehensive about other drivers texting, especially when the car in my rear view mirror is still coming up pretty fast as I wait for a light to change. Are they paying attention to their driving or not?
Old 08-23-2014, 08:18 AM   #3367
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
More than once I have signaled and turned into the next street -- meaning to let the tail-gater past -- only to have him/her turn into that street behind me. Phooey.

I'm more and more apprehensive about other drivers texting, especially when the car in my rear view mirror is still coming up pretty fast as I wait for a light to change. Are they paying attention to their driving or not?
The older I get the more convinced I become that I'm the only good driver on the road!

How is your hand doing!
Old 08-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #3368
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Huh, that sort of thing happens around here in the 40 zone...if you're doing 45! I swear the idiot drivers around here think that the speed limit posted indicates the SLOWEST speed you are to maintain.

When I get a tailgater and I feel I'm speeding enough, I usually slow down to the speed limit - or an MPH or two slower yet. Usually gets them to back off after a minute. Meanwhile, I'm busy scanning the side of the road to see if there is a wide enough strip of land I can pull off onto safely enough and let the jerk pass me.

I swear I'm going to print up and sell bumper stickers that say "I refuse to get a speeding ticket because you want to go faster". After all, the lead driver is the one who's going to get dinged.
I'm thinking of "I don't have to drive dangerously just because you're an idiot"
Old 08-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #3369
Executive Chef

Quote:
I put my hazard warning flashers on. That works too.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #3370
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post

It's illegal here to operate a cell phone while driving unless it's hands-free. It doesn't stop them and there seems to be no enforcement of the law.

There was a piece on the radio the other day about arrests for dangerous driving in the UK and one of the examples was a guy doing the crossword in his newspaper while driving at 80mph in the fast lane of the motorway!

Reading newspapers while coasting along the motorway seems quite common

Quite terrifying really.