"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #3361
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It's been about a month since my neighbour sprayed her anti-critter, garlic concoction in my yard and on Shreddy's grave. It worked. No more signs of skunk digging.

Well, today, it had stopped working. I guess all that rain we had washed it away. I found a biggish hole at the edge of the patio stone that covers Shreddy's grave. There were bits of Shreddy fur. I'm not a happy camper.
It's probably shutting the door after the horse has bolted but some years ago we had problems with a fox digging in Mum's garden where my cat had been buried. We settled its hash by getting some thin dowelling about the thickness of a pencil, cutting it down to a bout 12 inches and sticking it in the ground so that it stood about an inch above ground level all over and round the grave. It did the trick. Wouldn't help the smelliness though
__________________

__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #3362
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,873
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
It's probably shutting the door after the horse has bolted but some years ago we had problems with a fox digging in Mum's garden where my cat had been buried. We settled its hash by getting some thin dowelling about the thickness of a pencil, cutting it down to a bout 12 inches and sticking it in the ground so that it stood about an inch above ground level all over and round the grave. It did the trick. Wouldn't help the smelliness though
We haven't had any skunk smell issues. I wonder if that would work for a skunk. Skunks are awfully good diggers.

I think it was back last night, but it couldn't get very far with the heavy stones I piled around the edges.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #3363
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
... I was tailgated and horn-blasted last night for being so stupid as to drive at 39 MPH on a 40 MPH limited, very dangerous road. I wasn't aware that a 40 MPH speed limit meant you have to drive faster than 40 MPH...
Huh, that sort of thing happens around here in the 40 zone...if you're doing 45! I swear the idiot drivers around here think that the speed limit posted indicates the SLOWEST speed you are to maintain.

When I get a tailgater and I feel I'm speeding enough, I usually slow down to the speed limit - or an MPH or two slower yet. Usually gets them to back off after a minute. Meanwhile, I'm busy scanning the side of the road to see if there is a wide enough strip of land I can pull off onto safely enough and let the jerk pass me.

I swear I'm going to print up and sell bumper stickers that say "I refuse to get a speeding ticket because you want to go faster". After all, the lead driver is the one who's going to get dinged.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:07 PM   #3364
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,873
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When someone tailgates me, I get nervous. When I get nervous, I drive slower. I often tap my brakes to signal that I don't want to be tailgaited. It even works more often than not.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #3365
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
When someone tailgates me, I get nervous. When I get nervous, I drive slower. I often tap my brakes to signal that I don't want to be tailgaited. It even works more often than not.
I do that on two lane country roads and sometimes put my turning signal on as I pull towards the side of the road. It amazes me how many people refuse to pass me until I'm almost at a complete stop. As they drive by they always look at me as though I'm completely nuts, how do they know?
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:41 AM   #3366
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I do that on two lane country roads and sometimes put my turning signal on as I pull towards the side of the road. It amazes me how many people refuse to pass me until I'm almost at a complete stop. As they drive by they always look at me as though I'm completely nuts, how do they know?
More than once I have signaled and turned into the next street -- meaning to let the tail-gater past -- only to have him/her turn into that street behind me. Phooey.

I'm more and more apprehensive about other drivers texting, especially when the car in my rear view mirror is still coming up pretty fast as I wait for a light to change. Are they paying attention to their driving or not?
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:18 AM   #3367
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
More than once I have signaled and turned into the next street -- meaning to let the tail-gater past -- only to have him/her turn into that street behind me. Phooey.

I'm more and more apprehensive about other drivers texting, especially when the car in my rear view mirror is still coming up pretty fast as I wait for a light to change. Are they paying attention to their driving or not?
The older I get the more convinced I become that I'm the only good driver on the road!

How is your hand doing!
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #3368
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Huh, that sort of thing happens around here in the 40 zone...if you're doing 45! I swear the idiot drivers around here think that the speed limit posted indicates the SLOWEST speed you are to maintain.

When I get a tailgater and I feel I'm speeding enough, I usually slow down to the speed limit - or an MPH or two slower yet. Usually gets them to back off after a minute. Meanwhile, I'm busy scanning the side of the road to see if there is a wide enough strip of land I can pull off onto safely enough and let the jerk pass me.

I swear I'm going to print up and sell bumper stickers that say "I refuse to get a speeding ticket because you want to go faster". After all, the lead driver is the one who's going to get dinged.
I'm thinking of "I don't have to drive dangerously just because you're an idiot"
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #3369
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
When someone tailgates me, I get nervous. When I get nervous, I drive slower. I often tap my brakes to signal that I don't want to be tailgaited. It even works more often than not.
I put my hazard warning flashers on. That works too.
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #3370
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
More than once I have signaled and turned into the next street -- meaning to let the tail-gater past -- only to have him/her turn into that street behind me. Phooey.

I'm more and more apprehensive about other drivers texting, especially when the car in my rear view mirror is still coming up pretty fast as I wait for a light to change. Are they paying attention to their driving or not?
It's illegal here to operate a cell phone while driving unless it's hands-free. It doesn't stop them and there seems to be no enforcement of the law.

There was a piece on the radio the other day about arrests for dangerous driving in the UK and one of the examples was a guy doing the crossword in his newspaper while driving at 80mph in the fast lane of the motorway!

Reading newspapers while coasting along the motorway seems quite common

Quite terrifying really.
__________________

__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.