"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-26-2012, 02:40 AM   #331
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
your description of the work you did as a pharmacist's aide(?) was interesting to read. i can see how the heavy responsibilities together with the speed and accuracy demands of such work would turn many workers away, particularly the sensitive or highly nervous types.

it's good to know that there is a way to catch mistakes such as the one i experienced with the pharmacist and the vicodin. in this instance it is just as important to me that the pharmacist can be made to see that i, the patient, am not just trying to score some extra vicodins.
It is a huge responsibilty but I resigned because I worked so much that I hardly ever saw my daughter. I'd leave the house before she woke up and sometimes come home to find her sleeping. I missed my baby, she was only a few months old.
I would really go back if I was you. In most cases they would only be too happy to fix the mistake.
Best thing to do is always go to the same pharmacy, once they know you well you won't have problems.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:01 AM   #332
Certified Cake Maniac

I grew up in my Dad's pharmacy. I started cleaning and stocking shelves on Sundays when I was 14 and when I got my Social Insurance Number at 15 started working for real at 15. I helped out counting pills as well as being responsible for the greeting cards and the magazine racks for my Mom who was the front store manager. I got to know a lot about medications at an early age, which is good because I am on so many now.

My grandfather was also a pharmacist and worked the odd day in Dad's store to give him a break. He always wanted me to become the third generation but even though I found it very interesting work, chemistry, physics and math were not my strong suits. I felt pressured but my parents said they did not want me to go into it and I could be whatever I wanted to be. It took me over 30 years to figure that out, but I had a lot of interesting jobs in the meantime!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:09 AM   #333
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
if you were shorted on a prescription drug, and if that drug was vicoden, would you think it was a deliberate steal, or an honest mistake? then, if you were shorted on another prescription medication in the same exact way, what would be your thinking then? if you knew it was the pharmacist himself/herself that filled both rxes, would that change your perspective? if changing drug stores was not an option, what if anything would you do in order to make sure of a correct count in your future prescriptions?
Count them every time you get a refill. Specially if it is a pain med or narcotic. Then bring it to the attention of the head pharmacist. Find enough errors and by the same person filling the prescription, and let it be known you will no longer accept any script filled by that person in the future. You can always report it to the State License Board if it is the head pharmacist or if no action is taken at the pharamcy level.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #334
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
I would absolutely count them right in front of the pharmacy person before leaving. Once you step away they could say you took them.
Here's another mark in the "sad state of affairs" column when you have to question the number of pills. I get my prescriptions filled at the local Publix grocery, and there's nearly always several people in line. It would be more than awkward to have to count out a handful of little round pills while standing there, or even a few steps away. (17, or was that 18, oh, wait. 1, 2, 3..) Maybe that's what the person (if guilty) counts on -- that and the embarrassment of your having to challenge the total. And if that's where you always go, you risk getting the reputation of trouble-maker or some such. What a crummy deal all around. Wish I had a solution to add for this -- but I don't; can't improve on Mrs. LMB's.

Just a sympatico petty vent. Hope the situation improves, Vit.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #335
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Here's another mark in the "sad state of affairs" column when you have to question the number of pills. I get my prescriptions filled at the local Publix grocery, and there's nearly always several people in line. It would be more than awkward to have to count out a handful of little round pills while standing there, or even a few steps away. (17, or was that 18, oh, wait. 1, 2, 3..) Maybe that's what the person (if guilty) counts on -- that and the embarrassment of your having to challenge the total. And if that's where you always go, you risk getting the reputation of trouble-maker or some such. What a crummy deal all around. Wish I had a solution to add for this -- but I don't; can't improve on Mrs. LMB's.

Just a sympatico petty vent. Hope the situation improves, Vit.
Two examples why you should count them before you leave the building and report any wrongdoing.

I always got a 14 day supply of Vicodin. When it came time to call in for a new prescription, I began to notice that I was missing that last days supply before I could call in again. Sure enough. The delivery man was lifting my meds for his son who was a drug addict. They now put all their pain meds in bubble packs. If your prescription calls for a 30 day supply, each pill is in an individual bubble and you can count them very quickly on the card right there.

I am supposed to get gabapentin for the pain and neuropathy in my leg. Sure enough, the Pharmacist Aide that was working on my meds, substituded a very similar pill in color and markings. I didn't think much of it until about three days later when I couldn't stop vomiting. Had I continued to take these pills for another day, I would have been dead. They were capsules for advanced Alzheimer's Disease. That Aide was also lifting some of them for a drug habit of her own. On that one I reported it to the State Department that regulates pharmacies. They completely changed their whole system of how the scripts are filled. Each patient is now coded. If the code of the medication doesn't match up with what is in the computer for the patient, the machine will not release the pills.

I don't care if I am branded a troublemaker. It is a better title than "DEAD."

My very life is dependent on those medications. I am dependent on the pharmacy getting it right the first time.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #336
Master Chef

People are not all that bad. If you don't go into the Pharmacy with a nasty attitude or bite someone's head off they will more than likely help with a smile. I'm always kind and polite regardless of where I shop and I never assume that something was done on purpose until I know for sure. When staff treat me well I make a point of telling the manager how polite and friendly they are.
In return shops assistants treat me very well and even go beyond the call of duty when they see me. I get discounts and free samples and every time I go do my monthly shop they give me a free slab of chocolate.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #337
Executive Chef

right at this time, i am recovering from a compression fracture in my back, and having my meds delivered to me. hence the need for the pain pills in the first place, and the necessity for a pharmacy that can deliver. i cannot easily switch drug stores. i can count the pills in the presence of the delivery person, however, and in the privacy of my home.

the pharmacist, asked me in a real snide manner if i always count my pills. and actually, i don't--never even had a reason to question an rx before. but these vicodin are some HUGe horse pills. i had been getting a short squat pill bottle of 100 pills that filled the container. this time, the level looked noticably lower to me. even so, i was still surprised at the shortage--and even more so of my discovery of the second one.

i hate so much having to depend on other people anyway, especially for the most basic of services like this. i am soo ready to put an end to this latest, most disagreeable chapter of my so-called life....
Old 10-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #338
Master Chef

Quote:
right at this time, i am recovering from a compression fracture in my back, and having my meds delivered to me. hence the need for the pain pills in the first place, and the necessity for a pharmacy that can deliver. i cannot easily switch drug stores. i can count the pills in the presence of the delivery person, however, and in the privacy of my home.

the pharmacist, asked me in a real snide manner if i always count my pills. and actually, i don't--never even had a reason to question an rx before. but these vicodin are some HUGe horse pills. i had been getting a short squat pill bottle of 100 pills that filled the container. this time, the level looked noticably lower to me. even so, i was still surprised at the shortage--and even more so of my discovery of the second one.

i hate so much having to depend on other people anyway, especially for the most basic of services like this. i am soo ready to put an end to this latest, most disagreeable chapter of my so-called life....
Hope you feel better soon V! Back pain is horrible

Old 10-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #339
Executive Chef

thanks, snip. i'm working on it.:) i am lucky in that i have a great gp who has been making house calls--can you believe that in today's world?! also, i've had plenty of time to read to my heart's content....:)
Old 10-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #340
Master Chef

Quote:
thanks, snip. i'm working on it.:) i am lucky in that i have a great gp who has been making house calls--can you believe that in today's world?! also, i've had plenty of time to read to my heart's content....:)
Glad you are being looked after
I know this is a terrible thing to say but I sometimes wish I get injured so I can go and rest in hospital I need a break and my family don't let me rest even when I'm ill. The only time someone in my home helps out is when it's Dr's orders! It's been 4 years? I think since my heart attack and that was the last time I rested! 27 plus 4 is 31 that's about right
Wish I could come take care of you, it would be a holiday compared to this!