"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #3401
Master Chef

Here in MN you have a better chance to pass somebody on the right. In left lane everybody is a volunteer highway patrol. Making sure nobody drives over 54.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Old 09-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #3402
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I use Lastpass, it generates passwords that I'd never be able to remember. Hopefully I never forget my Lastpass password...
Roboform does that, too. It also stores personal information like addresses and credit card numbers so it can fill in Web forms for you automagically.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:09 PM   #3403
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Here in MN you have a better chance to pass somebody on the right. In left lane everybody is a volunteer highway patrol. Making sure nobody drives over 54.
On many freeways in CA, the far left lane is the 'diamond lane', reserved for carpooling and busses. Carpooling is only defined by 2 or more people in a vehicle though, so not sure how well that cuts down on the congested freeways.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #3404
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I finally made a complete list of all of my login id's, passwords etc...

I put a copy in my things you need to know when I croak folder.
I have a hurricane suitcase, containing stuff I can't do without if/when a big blow comes. Yesterday I shredded a bunch of old outdated, no longer useful insurance papers, etc. That's where I keep proof of purchase for the big stuff like my cherished Jenn Air fridge as well as the TV & player, laptop, printer and such for submitting insurance claims. This is also where I have several hen-scratch handwritten pages of user names and passwords.

If I have any sense at all (arguable), I'll make a complete list like you did and use an off-site place such as the ones Taxy and others have listed.

Man, I would so much rather go out and weed the flower bed.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #3405
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I have a hurricane suitcase, containing stuff I can't do without if/when a big blow comes. Yesterday I shredded a bunch of old outdated, no longer useful insurance papers, etc. That's where I keep proof of purchase for the big stuff like my cherished Jenn Air fridge as well as the TV & player, laptop, printer and such for submitting insurance claims. This is also where I have several hen-scratch handwritten pages of user names and passwords.

If I have any sense at all (arguable), I'll make a complete list like you did and use an off-site place such as the ones Taxy and others have listed.

Man, I would so much rather go out and weed the flower bed.
I like the idea of a hurricane suitcase, sort of like Dorothy in the wizard of Oz, grab the suitcase and run!.

I fuss about my little folder and try to keep it up to date for the folks that will have to come in and sift through my things someday. I think all they are really concerned about is how big a dumpster they will need and who will pay for it!
Old 09-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #3406
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Call me silly, but I use the same password or one variant for everything. No one has access to my computer, so I've had no problems. Occasionally I've had to ask them to email me my password, but it has never been a problem.
I am intensely secretive about my passwords and have different ones for every site I access and change them regularly. When I buy anything on-line I NEVER decline the seller's offer to hold my account and card details on the site and I change my password to the seller's site every time I purchase anything.

Despite having a 14 random character password for my bank account and no-one supposedly having access to it my account was hacked a couple of years ago. Fortunately, my bank believed me when I told them I had no use for 5 tickets to a heavy metal concert in Australia and refunded my money and the overdraft fees they'd charged. They did say, however, that had my bank account had the same p/w as anything else on my PC they would not have done so.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #3407
Chef Extraordinaire

When I make a major purchase, I tape the receipt on the back or bottom of the item. When I got rid of my last TV, the receipt was still there. But very yellow with age and the ink had faded. So now I wrap the receipt in plastic wrap first.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #3408
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I keep all my receipts, but they do fade. Does the plastic wrap keep that from happening?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #3409
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I scan important receipts. When they are printed using heat instead of ink, they always fade.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #3410
Head Chef

What's the deal with re-releasing old movies to mainstream theaters? Last week it was GhostBusters, this week Forrest Gump is opening. I tell ya what, with all the stinkers being made now, Hollywood is trying to salvage anything they can I suppose.

Rotten Tomatoes: Movies | TV Shows | Movie Trailers | Reviews