"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-15-2014, 11:47 PM   #3431
Master Chef

My grandson was being bullied in his photo class today. The boy was kicking and shovlng him. He didn't know that one of their classmates was using a video camera and was filming what was happening. They took the film to the the office to show them what had happened. The bully was put on immediate detention and will be there all week and if anything else happens there will be more punishment. I am so glad it was on film. Un believeable.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:49 PM   #3432
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
My grandson was being bullied in his photo class today. The boy was kicking and shovlng him. He didn't know that one of their classmates was using a video camera and was filming what was happening. They took the film to the the office to show them what had happened. The bully was put on immediate detention and will be there all week and if anything else happens there will be more punishment. I am so glad it was on film. Un believeable.
Poor kid, but, yay for video.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:58 PM   #3433
Chef Extraordinaire

Glad to hear it was taken care of, JoAnn.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:00 AM   #3434
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am sorry it happened but glad there was proof it happened.

It took 4 months to prove and get action when my nephew was being bullied.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:21 AM   #3435
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I am sorry it happened but glad there was proof it happened.

It took 4 months to prove and get action when my nephew was being bullied.
It makes me sick to my stomach to think of all the kids that go through the pain of being bullied.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:28 AM   #3436
Chef Extraordinaire

try to get a copy of the recording, joanne. you never know if or when it might be needed again, if nothing more than to prove a point.

more evidence that bullies aren't too bright. in photo class?
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:35 AM   #3437
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
try to get a copy of the recording, joanne. you never know if or when it might be needed again, if nothing more than to prove a point.

more evidence that bullies aren't too bright. in photo class?
Good advice, I will call his mother and see if she can get a copy.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:39 AM   #3438
Chef Extraordinaire

what you make of discovery is 9/10's of the case, my old law professor used to say.
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #3439
Master Chef

Ya know, if it weren't for the bullies, I might be more self assured. But, that being said, being bullied as a very small for my age child, inspired me to leave my home town at 18 years of age and find out who I was. I found that I still attracted bullies, got into judo, and found my first real successes. Those bullies helped me find strengths of character that I didn't know I possessed.

Bullies are a problem, and will probably never go away. But the paths we choose in life, the choices, can make all the difference in who we end up being. A person can withdraw, and let bullies rule them, and their lives, or do something to strengthen themselves against the harsh people of the world.

Being bullied also helped me to know that I need to treat people well, and gave me both sympathy, and empathy for the plight of others.

The lesson here is that we need to teach and build our children so that they learn coping strategies in life, and become sensitive to other people's welfare and happiness.

Of course when bullying happens, we need to make the bully accountable for his/her actions, through whatever legal means is available, be it teachers, school officials, parents, or even the police. I think the described situation worked out well for the victim, and may teach the bully something too, I hope.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #3440
Chef Extraordinaire

Petty Vent #1
Well, they finally straightened out my food stamps. I got the full amount. Since I already did a cash shopping, I was planning on going for a stock up shopping trip. Spike's sister-in-law has two of her cousins kids she is raising. And she has her father living with her, along with two of her own kids and husband. She ran out of money and food at the same time. Spike called me and asked me if he could use $100 of my food stamps to put some food in her house. What can you say? Let them starve? There goes my shopping trip.

Petty Vent #2
They are required to change by law, the HVAC system over to the heating by September 15th. Well, there has been a lot of controversy over that law. And it all was started by me. Come the first week of October we will most likely have an Indian Summer and the temperatures will be back in the 80's and 90's. And there is no AC. So I fought City Hall and they are allowing us to make our own choice of when to put the heat on. This morning temperatures were in the 40's. Some places in the state even had frost warnings. It is going to be cold all week. If just one resident complains about how cold they are, they will have to turn the heat on. That's fine with me. I have a nice floor fan and can open my windows wide. Most of the tenants have nothing and can't open their windows even a little bit. This morning I had on a flannel nightgown, my housecoat and my heavy sweater. Plus I was under the blanket. Do I really want the heat turned on or not? I know we will have our Indian Summer. I am in a quandary.

Petty Vent #3
Last night at 12:50 a.m., my next door neighbor had a humdinger fight with her daughter. It seems the daughter came in drunk. I know the daughter is stay there and that is not allowed. This is not the first fight those two have had. But I am getting concerned about elderly abuse. The way the daughter was screaming at her mother, is definitely abusive. So I did what I thought I had to do. I reported it to the management. She also has been hearing stories about the fighting. But now it is affecting other tenants (me).

I can understand how my neighbor feels. Her daughter is homeless along with being unemployed and it is difficult to tell her child to get out. But all in good conscience I can't just stand by and do nothing.