"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #3451
Executive Chef

Yes, I guess that's true. I was always taught if I can't say something nice, don't say anything. I will voice my opinion, but try not to do it in such a way that I'm putting the other person down.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #3452
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Chief, I believe your son changed and became a protector because that was "the real him" all along. I guess the reason I mentioned cyber bullying because many people who would not say or do something mean in person find it very easy to do online, when they are either anonymous, or just not having to be face to face with that person. I know it's a big issue with teens on social media, but I also see it many times among adults on message boards. They will make nasty comments that they would never think of making to their neighbors, co-workers, or church members. In person they put on a facade.
CaroPA, you are right. It was the real him. Sometime he just needed to be pointed in the right direction, after the world tried so hard to lead him in the wrong direction. But it was rare. Of course the other kids were the same. You know Sprout and PAG from their posts on DC. As parents, it was our job to guide. But the kids made the choices that made them who they are today. Kudos to all of them.

It's good to be on this board, with a whole host of people who make the same kind of good choices.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #3453
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Maybe I'm wrong, but I see this as the epitome of gall. DH and I are flying out East for a niece's (second) wedding, and it ain't cheap. We come back on a Sunday. The SIL just sent DH an email stating she was planning a surprise birthday party lunch on Sunday for DH's brother and requested we stay another day longer, as it would be the first time the brothers would all be together in awhile. My take on it is she should have told us about the party before we booked the non-refundable plane tickets. Plus, we'll all be together the whole weekend anyway. And our plane leaves Sunday afternoon, and we're staying with them the last two days.

I was so mad I could've spit about the lack of consideration, but I told her that maybe they could move the party to Saturday. The majority of DH's family lives out east, we're the only ones having to fly in.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #3454
Chef Extraordinaire

You're not wrong, Dawg. It's ridiculous that she didn't tell you and DH about this as soon as she had the idea. That really is inconsiderate.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #3455
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Wow, what an oblivitron. Your DH works, doesn't he? She expects you to re-book your flight and take an extra day off work on short notice? I think it's just lack of thinking and not actually evil.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #3456
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thank you both. I thought so too. And poor Beagle has to stay home with the boarder. I figured we'd all be sick of each other by Sunday anyway! Thankfully, DH agreed to let me handle it, as he was willing to stay the extra day at double the expense.

I'm still mad
Old 09-22-2014, 01:17 AM   #3457
Chef Extraordinaire

Dawg, just let her know that DH has to be at work and you can't stay the extra day. Let her know that had you prior knowledge, DH would have made arrangements for another employee to swap with him. This may be a small fib, not a lie, and it saves you and DH money, and hurt feelings on the in-laws side. Hopefully all will understand and SIL will learn that not everyone can just drop what they are doing, then respond to her bidding and last minute plans. (That is something that needs not to be said.) Just let DH know what you are going to say so he won't act surprised. Good Luck!
Old 09-22-2014, 01:31 AM   #3458
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks Addie. As it's a surprise birthday party, DH's brother apparently miscommunicated the leaving date to SIL, at least according to her. I'm sticking to my guns. We leave when the plane leaves. It was a real pain to get the flight booked in the first place, and I am not going to change it.

I'm still mad, but I feel better now
Old 09-22-2014, 01:38 AM   #3459
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Thanks Addie. As it's a surprise birthday party, DH's brother apparently miscommunicated the leaving date to SIL, at least according to her. I'm sticking to my guns. We leave when the plane leaves. It was a real pain to get the flight booked in the first place, and I am not going to change it.

I'm still mad, but I feel better now
Good for you. It doesn't matter who said what. Just that you and DH (and Beagle) are not taken advantage of and you make that plane. Bring a present so he can know you were thinking of him and am sorry that you couldn't make the party. This is one time a handwritten note with the present would be appreciated. Make sure DH signs it also.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:56 AM   #3460
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Good for you. It doesn't matter who said what. Just that you and DH (and Beagle) are not taken advantage of and you make that plane. Bring a present so he can know you were thinking of him and am sorry that you couldn't make the party. This is one time a handwritten note with the present would be appreciated. Make sure DH signs it also.
Don't get me wrong, DH's brother and SIL are wonderful people, and we always have a great time with them. Their humor is almost as corrupted as mine is. Not quite. But they have done stuff like this several times before, and we have just put up with it. I finally decided we won't be taken advantage of anymore.