Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Norovirus is one of the nastiest things around! I had it once, about 10 years ago and hope I never get it again. And I hope you don't get it, PF. Have you had the vaccine for it?

"Significant outbreaks occur in health care facilities, childcare centers and other places where people are in close quarters, including in the military and on cruise ships."

Norovirus vaccine reduces symptoms by half - Medical News Today

When an outbreak occurred in the city I was living in, I scrubbed my hands so often I almost took the skin off. And I wore a mask when going shopping.

It's one big mutthah of a disease!

It went through our facility a couple years ago, I was one of the least sick people and covered lots of shifts.

Clearly, customers who drive a van are your target audience for a Camaro.

What a tool!

I can just see me pulling into the Handicapped stall in front of the Michael's store in my shiny red Camaro, getting out with my cane and filling the trunk full of wool and crochet hooks! :cool:

There's no doubt that C. diff is a very serious problem. I hope your friend is o.k. now.
C. diff is a huge problem in hospitals, nursing homes, etc. That's probably the 'best' way to get it---- or go on a cruise ship. :(

But the notion that just 'over-use'of antibiotics is a crock which is the take-away-point of many articles about C. diff---- unless a person is in the hospital where nurses, doctors and other staff may be the people who help pass it along. Or on a cruise ship.:(

Door knobs are major offenders of C. diff and norovirus. Learn to use your elbows. :)

I took antibiotics for about 17 years with nary a C. diff problem. I'm not the only one---- go to any Lyme forum and just see how many cases of C. diff are reported---- all long time, heavy users of antibiotics. (Very rarely reported and usually after a hospital stay.)

The main difference between norovirus and C. diff is norovirus affects 'both ends' and C. diff is usually just the bottom end.

I'm not making light of C. diff because I know it's very serious.

Anyone with C.diffcile in our facility has been admitted with it. I have also had C. difficile caused by antibiotics, no fun at all!!!

Although I have never had a heart attack, I have heart disease and have had a lot of heart procedures...quadruple bypass surgery and several stents. My first problem presented as extreme fatigue. We went to the mall, and all I could do is slowly walk from one bench to the next. I was walking so slowly DH was embarassed! LOL From that point on, my problems have presented with pain in the left side of my jaw. As soon as I get that, I head for the ER. My friend lost her mother that way. They were going somewhere and her mother said she was staying home to lie down because her jaw hurt. When the family came home, she was dead. They never heard of the relationship between jaw pain and heart attacks.

I never had pain with mine, just strange feelings, I felt like I had to push my shoulders through the gurney to relieve the pressure. But there was no pain, that's why I was confused over it and didn't know I was having a heart attack.

I never had pain with mine, just strange feelings, I felt like I had to push my shoulders through the gurney to relieve the pressure. But there was no pain, that's why I was confused over it and didn't know I was having a heart attack.

I have yet to hear of a woman having the same symptoms as a man. Every woman has told of a different set of symptoms here in this forum. Yet men often tell the same list of symptoms. That is why it is so IMPORTANT for women to be educated in all the possible symptoms of a heart attack. Spike has had eight heart attacks and every single one of them start in the middle of his chest. He recognizes the very first symptom immediately and doesn't fool around or try to second guess it. He stops what he is doing instantly and heads for the hospital or our Relief Station that has an ER. I have had three heart attacks and the symptoms have been different each time. But each time I knew something was wrong and had the good sense to call 911. Who knows what symptoms I will have the next time. :angel:

I have yet to hear of a woman having the same symptoms as a man. Every woman has told of a different set of symptoms here in this forum. Yet men often tell the same list of symptoms. That is why it is so IMPORTANT for women to be educated in all the possible symptoms of a heart attack.

I've never had a heart attack and hope I never do!

But I do read this blog by Carolyn Thomas ----

Heart Sisters

---- and see that she reports on the difference between what women feel and those of men. It's amazing----- why would there be such a difference, but it exists.

I've never had a heart attack and hope I never do!

But I do read this blog by Carolyn Thomas ----

Heart Sisters

---- and see that she reports on the difference between what women feel and those of men. It's amazing----- why would there be such a difference, but it exists.

I love her blog and have gotten superb support.

When Poo was old enough as a teenager, he took the full course in CPR. Past the basics. That part was attended mostly by people in the medical field. One of the evenings in class during the second part of the course, the instructor covered the emotional part of a heart attack. She told the class that one of the first questions people ask after a HA was, "Can I still have sexual relations with my spouse?" Other questions were also covered. He never forgot what he learned in that class. That class was where he realized and found out about the difference between men and women having a HA.

Even today, when a woman comes into his ER with a HA, young women are worried about who is home taking care of her family. Even during the time their HA is happening, they are worried who is going to get the kids off to school in the morning. Thereby placing more stress on themselves. Very seldom does a man take a day off from work to stay home with a sick child. A lot of men never use up all their vacation time. So when they have a HA, they know they have the time to be sick.

Women have to be more active in their care when they have had a HA. We have to be taught to let go and allow others to take care of us. :angel:

When Poo was old enough as a teenager, he took the full course in CPR. Past the basics. That part was attended mostly by people in the medical field. One of the evenings in class during the second part of the course, the instructor covered the emotional part of a heart attack. She told the class that one of the first questions people ask after a HA was, "Can I still have sexual relations with my spouse?" Other questions were also covered. He never forgot what he learned in that class. That class was where he realized and found out about the difference between men and women having a HA.

Even today, when a woman comes into his ER with a HA, young women are worried about who is home taking care of her family. Even during the time their HA is happening, they are worried who is going to get the kids off to school in the morning. Thereby placing more stress on themselves. Very seldom does a man take a day off from work to stay home with a sick child. A lot of men never use up all their vacation time. So when they have a HA, they know they have the time to be sick.

Women have to be more active in their care when they have had a HA. We have to be taught to let go and allow others to take care of us. :angel:

So I am doubly cursed as a female and a nurse...whose going to take care of MY patients...

Addie, I think today, with most women working outside the home, child care and household chores are shared between the wife and husband. Women are insisting on it. Right this minute, I can't even think of anyone I know personally who is a stay-at-home mom. When we had to pick my grandson up from daycare, we saw many fathers dropping kids off and picking them up. It's becoming the norm.

Addie, I think today, with most women working outside the home, child care and household chores are shared between the wife and husband. Women are insisting on it. Right this minute, I can't even think of anyone I know personally who is a stay-at-home mom. When we had to pick my grandson up from daycare, we saw many fathers dropping kids off and picking them up. It's becoming the norm.

My wife has been a stay-at-home mom since the day we were married, even though we didn't have children until about ten months later. She is still a housewife though I do the cooking, the dishes, the snow shoveling, the gardening, any home fixes that have to be made, and I work 8 hours a day at work. Couple that with my projects, like church activities, novel writing, fly tying, chocolate bunny making, creating new recipes, and fixing the car when it brakes.

I have been doing this since long before husbands helped significantly around the house.

It's hard to find time to go fishing.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Boston is having a surge in mother's staying at home again. They are willing to do without all those doo dads that the neighbors have. They are lowering their standard of living in order to spend more time with their children. Instead of spending big bucks on that swing set in the back yard, they are taking their toddlers to the park and to the library for "kids hour." They have realized that they miss out on all those "firsts". First steps, first real words spoken, first tooth coming in, etc. The only time I went to work was when my husband was sick for an extended time. I made arrangements with my sister for child care and got any job I could find. But the day he returned to work, is the day I would quit.

There is a town right next to Cambridge called Arlington. When I worked there for the church, all year round you would see mothers galore pushing baby strollers and heading for the park or library. Sometimes there would two or three going together. Not since I was a young mother myself have I seen so many mothers pushing a stroller. No jumping in the car for them to make a quick run to the store. There was a sewing/knitting store just a couple of doors from the church. I used to go in there to get my threads. In the back, they had a playroom and caretaker for the mothers that would meet there everyday. Babies learned to socialize and mothers got a short break from childcare.

All my married life (especially since the kids were born in 1980) I' said I want a wife. I need a wife to pick up half the stuff I do. Today, I've changed my mind. Today I decided I want a "Chief" of my own...:wub:

... I do the cooking, the dishes, the snow shoveling, the gardening, any home fixes that have to be made, and I work 8 hours a day at work. Couple that with my projects, like church activities, novel writing, fly tying, chocolate bunny making, creating new recipes, and fixing the car when it brakes....

Don't you believe it. Fathers picking up children means very little when held against the no-go areas of housekeeping and childcare. Most of the women I know of all ages are the first in line of responsibility when it comes to the daily chores of life even when they work full time.

In the UK paternity leave is allowed when a baby is born. Statistically, very few fathers take it.

I was lucky, my dad helped out with all the housework because my mother worked and when he retired and mum was still working he took over the housekeeping completely. He cooked, washed up, vacuumed and dusted, cleaned the kitchen and bathroom. Loading the washing machine was not an alien concept to him and he even did the ironing. And in and between he made beer.

However, he was the exception which proves the rule.

I guess I must associate with a different breed of people, because most of the couples I know, especially the younger ones, share household and child care duties. The only ones I know who don't are the older ones, 60 and over who are holdovers from the 50's. My husband does more around the house than I do.

Don't you believe it. Fathers picking up children means very little when held against the no-go areas of housekeeping and childcare. Most of the women I know of all ages are the first in line of responsibility when it comes to the daily chores of life even when they work full time.

In the UK paternity leave is allowed when a baby is born. Statistically, very few fathers take it.

I was lucky, my dad helped out with all the housework because my mother worked and when he retired and mum was still working he took over the housekeeping completely. He cooked, washed up, vacuumed and dusted, cleaned the kitchen and bathroom. Loading the washing machine was not an alien concept to him and he even did the ironing. And in and between he made beer.

However, he was the exception which proves the rule.

I was waiting for someone else to speak up before I got brave enough to post because I truly didn't know if the new(er) generations have really broken the chain. :) I do see a lot of men wheeling strollers and having a baby clamped like limpets to their chest now----- where I never saw that in my child-bearing days.

But do the majority of men really 'share' in the housekeeping chores now (for working women)?

Last edited:
I guess I must associate with a different breed of people, because most of the couples I know, especially the younger ones, share household and child care duties. The only ones I know who don't are the older ones, 60 and over who are holdovers from the 50's. My husband does more around the house than I do.

We were both posting at the same time-----so you say that the majority of young(er) households (where both work full time away from home) do share the housework---- all of it? That would be fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom