Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sprout, you wrestled in HS? Good for you! Or was it with a boyfriend?

I was on the team. I was terrible at it, but I worked hard and enjoyed it. It really improved my soccer game, too. I just had to remember that there's a big difference in the amount of contact allowed on the field vs the mat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

I was on the team. I was terrible at it, but I worked hard and enjoyed it. It really improved my soccer game, too. I just had to remember that there's a big difference in the amount of contact allowed on the field vs the mat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Sprout, I am impressed! One of my female students that I worked with fought to be on the wrestling team, and was, and another was on the football team.

Kudos! :) (And sorry about your finger)

Is she going to be 13 Charlie? That indeed is a big day for her. More questions Charlie. Can the 13th birthday be celebrated a week or so later or does it have to be right on the day? I know it is a BIG day for the boys, but do most Jewish families celebrate it as much for the girls? I feel sorry for the families that have only girls. :angel:

Addi, she is only 12. The traditional way was always 12. Until feminism penetrated the religious life too. Not to get distracted by roll of feminism in the society, that is totally separate subject. But somehow even in religious life women decided to prove that they equal to men. If you ask me they are better and had nothing to prove. It's us men, that have to constantly prove our worthiness to G-d.
Anyways, we adhere to old tradition. 12 year old girls give a speech based on the Torah portion of the week. Reflecting how it relates to our everyday life. And it always does. It is not the size of the party that matters. Party you can have any day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Even after bathing, they don't go away! Isn't it something that there's no vaccine or preventative? And who wants to spend their time outside on a beautiful 76°F or higher day in a HazMat suit. :mad:

I'm sure Frontline makes a collar in DH's size...

Even after bathing, they don't go away! Isn't it something that there's no vaccine or preventative? And who wants to spend their time outside on a beautiful 76°F or higher day in a HazMat suit. :mad:
Well, that thing I quoted from the Public Health Agency of Canada said to use DEET based insect repellants.

Well, that thing I quoted from the Public Health Agency of Canada said to use DEET based insect repellants.

Sadly, Deet has never worked for anything but mosquitoes for me. I'm on my second shower.

Sadly, Deet has never worked for anything but mosquitoes for me. I'm on my second shower.
When I lived in the country we used to use a 94 or 96% DEET product (Muskol?). :ohmy: They don't sell that strength anymore.

It worked for everything except deer flies. It worked for 8 hours and then seemed to sound a silent alarm that black flies, mosquitoes, noseeyums, etc. could here.

What about the Icaridin? I've never heard about that one before.

I have a feeling that ticks don't care what you spray yourself with. Including showers.

Canadian deer flies are the worst! NOTHING repels them!

Cave just put some great info about ticks and Lyme disease in Off Topic.

I've never had a tick...be funny if I just jinxed myself and then needed a flea collar!!!

My school nurses had never seen a tick bite either, until one had to pull one out of the back of my neck, and another had to check the one DH helped me pull out of my side. They leave quite a wound for such a little bug. Like a big hole. And when they're embedded, you know, they hurt!

BTW, if some of the tick parts are still in there, no worries. They get absorbed. Everyone freaks about the mouth parts left. Unless they have Lyme disease.

Last edited:
Put vaseline over a tick and it will back out, you've cut off it's oxygen.

Pointy tweezers are the way to go, pull straight out, no twisting or squeezing. They're already in your flesh, so there's nothing to smother. Mom used to use a blown-out match, they'd back out for that, but there might be some collateral damage. I would then put them on a fireproof surface, or in an ashtray, and incinerate them with a lighter.

I've read that when you put a match to tickets they back out, but they vomit first.

Oh good gravy. Now I'm off to take another shower, with pumice stone, Beagle's last vial of Frontline, and bleach. And I'm bringing my pointy tip tweezers with me.

The dog ticks we'd get at the lake were nice and big, easy to see. These little deer ticks are the size of a pin head or smaller.

I'm a big garden person, we need a vaccine!

Always worked when Dad did it, he tried the match once on my sister and burned her, after that he did the vaseline. My sister is a tick and mosquito magnet.

Always worked when Dad did it, he tried the match once on my sister and burned her, after that he did the vaseline. My sister is a tick and mosquito magnet.

:LOL: Back in the day. Now we have Uuber ticks! And Lyme disease! I scratched what I thought was a tiny pin-sized scab off my chest yesterday, the scab had legs, and where I scratched bled enough that I had to put a bandaid on it. I incinerated that legged scab pronto.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom