"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #3511
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
I know this is a small vent but it bugs me, I hate it when a checker or clerk in a store calls me dear, honey or sweetheart.
I agree!

It also bugs me when the clerk starts commenting on my purchases!

Old 10-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #3512
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I agree!

It also bugs me when the clerk starts commenting on my purchases!
Oh my gosh, they do that here all the time. I want to say, please just ring me up and let me get out of here.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:41 AM   #3513
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
I know this is a small vent but it bugs me, I hate it when a checker or clerk in a store calls me dear, honey or sweetheart.
One of the check out assistants in a big DIY store in a nearby town has adopted the American (I think ) habit of commanding her customers to "Have a nice day". I have stopped shopping there as I fear that, should I be having a bad day when she says this to me, I might just tear her throat out!!!!

If she gave any hint that she actually gave a damn it might be slightly bearable but....
Old 10-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #3514
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I think I am suffering from post menopausal PMS. (Is there even such a thing?) I really do not want to go to Winthrop today. Every morning when I wake up it is still dark out and we haven't even turned the clocks back. If God is playing games with me, then he is winning. Isn't there a disorder regarding not getting enough light? Maybe that is what is wrong with me today.

As much as I love the ocean, it is this time of year I begin to wonder why. Sunday, sitting there on my scooter with just a light sweater on, we were only a half block from the water. The breeze was coming in from the ocean. The air temp said it was reasonably warm, the breeze gave me a different message. Today it is going to be the same thing. The building in Winthrop is just a couple of buildings from the ocean. I like to go out and sit there every so often to get away from all the folks inside. I will have to dress for that and not the real weather.

Anybody have a PMS pill for a crazy old lady?
Addie, there is a condition called Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D) - at least that's what it's called over here. The following link might be helpful. As it's a UK government National Health site it has no financial axes to grind

Seasonal affective disorder - NHS Choices

There's also this American site but I'm not sure how independent it is

http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor...-disorder.html

I hope one of them helps.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #3515
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
What a brilliant idea. I must look for them over here. I used to have a pair of trainers with Velcro (hook and loop) fastenings and when they gave up the ghost I couldn't find anymore and I hate laces. If I can find Hickies I can have trainers again.

(Actually "Hickies" would be an unfortunate brand name in the UK. Over here a "hickie" is a slang term for one of those red and inflamed spots with a white "head" that you get on your face when you're a teenager !)
Old 10-20-2014, 08:33 AM   #3516
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
*sigh* Once again, our internet went down. This has been a recurring problem late at night. We figured they were doing some sort of updates on the line - probably because they figure everyone is sleeping in the wee hours. Well we showed them! Tonight was the final straw. Himself called to see what was going on. So, of course, I went into the room to kibitz. When she asked it there was anything else as they were wrapping up the call, I queried about a credit. Didn't expect much because we aren't out for that long (I think the longest was 1 1/2 hours) but it doesn't hurt to ask. We have $10 coming off our next bill! Better than nothing! The good news is, they are almost done with all of their updates and this should be ending soon.
Good for you. It pays to register your displeasure when "they" let you down.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #3517
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
One of the check out assistants in a big DIY store in a nearby town has adopted the American (I think ) habit of commanding her customers to "Have a nice day". I have stopped shopping there as I fear that, should I be having a bad day when she says this to me, I might just tear her throat out!!!!

If she gave any hint that she actually gave a damn it might be slightly bearable but....
The standard answer to that is "Don't tell me what to do!" It tends to bring folks up short and think before they ever say it again.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:37 AM   #3518
Executive Chef

I'm at home today, nursing a "war wound". Our horses (geldings and mares) live in an "American barn" set-up, with loose boxes, each with its own gate, on either side of an aisle. The doors don't have grills above them so the horses can look out to see what's going on and the loose boxes have windows to see outside onto the yard.

One of the loose boxes is occupied by a Welsh Section D cob, who shows at high levels. He's a stallion so can only go out to pasture once a week when there's an empty field. He gets no other exercise. He doesn't even go on the horsewalker. When the mares in the barn are in season or an "interesting" mare is passing outside across the yard he goes absolutely crazy and throws himself round his loose box kicking, rearing, screaming and snorting and recently got one of his legs stuck over the loosebox gate. He is also fed enormous amounts and is, not to put it too finely, seriously obese. He kicks his door incessantly to get attention but when anyone goes near he is in such a state that he tries to bite them.

He got me on Saturday. I was pushing the wheel barrow past his loose box
and thought I was well out of his range but he lunged over his door and bit my shoulder and wouldn't let go. He was off his front feet, leaning over the door and hanging on to my shoulder with a fair bit of his weight. Eventually my screams brought others running and he let go. I had a thick winter fleece and a woollen jumper on but he still left deep teeth marks on my shoulder which bled copiously. I reported the incident to the Yard Manageress who gave me the "Yeah, yeah" look until I showed her the damage at which she went quite pale and got out the accident book! She then telephoned the owners.

One of my rescuers is a Sister (senior nurse-in-charge) in the Accident and Emergency Unit at a big Manchester hospital and insisted on cleaning and dressing my wound after I'd spoken to the YM. No way was I going to sit in A&E at the hospital all afternoon!

A couple of inches over and he'd have got my neck and possibly I might not have been here today! And if he'd grabbed a child's shoulder or head I dread to think what the damage might have been.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:52 AM   #3519
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sounds like a dangerous horse, sorry you got hurt!
Old 10-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #3520
Certified Pretend Chef

MC that must have been very painful. Glad it wasn't worse.