"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #3531
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I'm guilty of commanding people to "Have a nice day!"

I have never thought of it as being anything other than polite.

What should a person say?
It's a perfectly acceptable thing to say. I command you to continue telling people to have a nice day

Old 10-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #3532
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We give shots to dogs in the event a person gets bitten and the dog may be rabid. Is there such a concern regarding horse bites?
Actually, we give dogs a rabies vaccine shot to prevent them from developing it.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #3533
Chef Extraordinaire

being bothered by the phrase "have a nice day" is a waste of things to be bothered by, imo.

and awfully cynical as you can never really know someone's intentions; good, bad, or indifferent. or cynical, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

With my kids, as they were growing up, occasionally, one of them would be sulking. I'd walk up to them and try to find out what was wrong. Often, even usually, it would be something inconsequential, and they were just in the mood to stew about it. I would say to them - Don't let me catch you smiling. Don't smile. Ah, I thought I caught you starting to smile. Don't you dare smile." By then they would burst out laughing, and the foul mood would be instantaneously gone. They would then complain that they hated that I could make them laugh so easily. But it would change their mood and allow them to have a good outlook for the remainder of the day.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
we really are alike, although my method is a bit more well intentioned teasing (in my mind, of course, in keeping with my earlier statement) than purely being a good guy.

when my boy is sulking, or angry, or just simply bothered by something, i order him to sulk, or be angry, or frustrated, then say "good boy. good boy. always doing what your father tells you to."

if that doesn't work, i start repeating everything he says including "stop it", or "dad, you're being a jerk."

if that still doesn't work, i start telling him jokes he's heard a thousand times.

and if that still doesn't work, i start to sing "oh, canada" in baritone falsetto at which time he's begging me to stop and has completely forgotten what bothered him in the first place.

fatherhood is great, ain't it?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #3534
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We give shots to dogs in the event a person gets bitten and the dog may be rabid. Is there such a concern regarding horse bites?
No. not really. Only general rules about washing a the wound if the teeth break the skin as with any cut . I don't think I've ever been intentionally bitten in anger by a horse before. Tetley nibbles my hand with his lips when taking a treat and has occasionally mistaken the feel of my fingers for a carrot and chomped down but has never done much harm. Like us they can't see what is touching their lips so go by feel.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #3535
Chef Extraordinaire

tetley probably feels very bad about biting you.

he walked into a bar and the bartender said, "why the long face?"

sorry, couldn't help it.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #3536
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I'm at home today, nursing a "war wound". Our horses (geldings and mares) live in an "American barn" set-up, with loose boxes, each with its own gate, on either side of an aisle. The doors don't have grills above them so the horses can look out to see what's going on and the loose boxes have windows to see outside onto the yard.

One of the loose boxes is occupied by a Welsh Section D cob, who shows at high levels. He's a stallion so can only go out to pasture once a week when there's an empty field. He gets no other exercise. He doesn't even go on the horsewalker. When the mares in the barn are in season or an "interesting" mare is passing outside across the yard he goes absolutely crazy and throws himself round his loose box kicking, rearing, screaming and snorting and recently got one of his legs stuck over the loosebox gate. He is also fed enormous amounts and is, not to put it too finely, seriously obese. He kicks his door incessantly to get attention but when anyone goes near he is in such a state that he tries to bite them.

He got me on Saturday. I was pushing the wheel barrow past his loose box
and thought I was well out of his range but he lunged over his door and bit my shoulder and wouldn't let go. He was off his front feet, leaning over the door and hanging on to my shoulder with a fair bit of his weight. Eventually my screams brought others running and he let go. I had a thick winter fleece and a woollen jumper on but he still left deep teeth marks on my shoulder which bled copiously. I reported the incident to the Yard Manageress who gave me the "Yeah, yeah" look until I showed her the damage at which she went quite pale and got out the accident book! She then telephoned the owners.

One of my rescuers is a Sister (senior nurse-in-charge) in the Accident and Emergency Unit at a big Manchester hospital and insisted on cleaning and dressing my wound after I'd spoken to the YM. No way was I going to sit in A&E at the hospital all afternoon!

A couple of inches over and he'd have got my neck and possibly I might not have been here today! And if he'd grabbed a child's shoulder or head I dread to think what the damage might have been.
Ohmygosh, I'm so sorry about your injury MC!! I've had a life long fear of horses since I was thrown off of one as a young child, and I've never gone near one again. I think they're beautiful and interesting and dangerous.
It never even occurred to me that they bite too!!
Hope you heal quick!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #3537
Chef Extraordinaire

Horses can be quirky animals. First there is their vision problems. Their eyes are on the side of their head so they don't see what is in front. That's why you see race horses with those fuzzy bands across their nose and blinders. It blocks what they can see on the ground and forces them to concentrate on their job of running. They have to place all their trust in the rider. Something they are not always wont to do. Yet they can be the sweetest, gentlest animal you could ever want.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #3538
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, i first thought you meant giving the shot to the dog or horse, as in euthanasia.

then i read it again, lol.
You are sick. You need some tender loving and care. Take two aspirins and call the doctor in the morning.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #3539
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I agree, I was told once by a customer, "Don't tell me what kind of day to have." It crushed me for the rest of the day.
Iv'e been told something similar by people who I wished a happy day to. When that happens, I tend to look at the a little sideways, and think - man, what a grouch. It may not be the most charitable reaction, but its kind of spontaneous. And I still say to them, "I hope your day gets better."

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the north

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #3540
Chef Extraordinaire

my response would be in song.
"the love you get is equal to the love you give."

my singing is punishment enough.