"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-21-2014, 05:49 AM   #3551
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I was witness to a shopper doing some massive shoplifting. When the cops came, they asked me if I was a witness. I gave a polite answer of "Yes." The cop asked my name and I told him Mrs. So and So. Well, in a very nasty voice he asked me my first name and I gave it to him. He then began to call me by my first name. I asked the cop what his first name was. He thought I was being a smartass. Since he didn't want to give it to me, I ask him what his title was. "Officer." "Well, officer I will call you by your title and you in return will properly call me by mine. "Mrs.!" He got the hint. Unless I know you for a long time and consider a friend, I expect you to call me Mrs. I in return will do the same for you. When I introduce myself as Mrs., I expect you to address me as such. It is called very simply, Respect! Specially for an elderly person.
Way to go! Good for you, Addie.

It annoys the hell out of my when I ring the power company or the insurance company and they address me by my first name without asking first. I didn't complete a substantial on-line order with a supermarket because their website called me by my Christian name!

However, I was filling in my details on line for something last week and there was a question I'd never come across before - " How would you like us to address you when we contact you?". Someone seems to be getting the message.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:06 AM   #3552
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
I would never call an adult a name like honey, or sweetie, or for a guy, bro, chief, or boss.

you can never go wrong with ma'am or sir.

unless you mix them up because they are nj state troopers.
What I really hate is when I say ma'am or sir, I get the response "Don't call me ma'am, it makes me feel old." or "Don't call me sir, I'm not my Dad or an officer."

I'm only trying to be as polite as possible, just the way I learned while growing up.

It's a slap in the face.

I wouldn't ever come back with a rude attitude to someone who's just being polite, no matter if it's a simple "Have a nice day." I just answer, "You too."

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:53 AM   #3553
Chef Extraordinaire

again with the objectivity of perception.

i would call a younger female stranger "miss".

for most young men, it's anywhere from dude, to buddy, to man, to " pull your pants up, straighten out your baseball cap, and don't use "yo" in most sentences.

i must be getting old.

btw, isn't funny that we agree on cops?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #3554
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
again with the objectivity of perception.

i would call a younger female stranger "miss".

for most young men, it's anywhere from dude, to buddy, to man, to " pull your pants up, straighten out your baseball cap, and don't use "yo" in most sentences.

i must be getting old.

btw, isn't funny that we agree on cops?
My g'daughter's husband is a cop. I saw him on the street one day in uniform and he stopped and said hi. There were other folks around us, so I returned with "Good Morning Officer." When someone I know is working at that moment, I never approach them except to say Good Morning. I would never put their job in jeopardy. That is not the place to be personal with them.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:06 PM   #3555
Chef Extraordinaire

It is 10 p.m. I decide to do a load of laundry. I put the clothes in and four quarters. The machine won't take the last quarter and yet it won't release it back to me. So after trying every quarter in my possession, I remove the clothes, soap pods and put them in the machine next to it. In frustration I shook the coin box violently. The last quarter decides to drop in and the machine starts. So I take out all the clothes from the second machine and put them back in the first one.

I hate coin operated washing and clothes drying machines!
Old 10-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #3556
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm lucky. Our laundry uses a coded card you just push into a slot. There's a machine for adding $5, $10, or $20.

It's so much easier than having to maintain a supply of quarters.

I still have had some of the same problems of having to move my laundry. I always wait until my clothes are in with the detergent, but sometimes the machine is out of order. It doesn't take my money, though.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:50 AM   #3557
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I'm lucky. Our laundry uses a coded card you just push into a slot. There's a machine for adding $5, $10, or $20.

It's so much easier than having to maintain a supply of quarters.

I still have had some of the same problems of having to move my laundry. I always wait until my clothes are in with the detergent, but sometimes the machine is out of order. It doesn't take my money, though.
Spike goes to a commercial laundry that has the card system. I wish we did. I did the colors last night. Now if I can get my hands on three more quarters, I can do the whites. Building maintenance is supposed to keep the machines clean. That is our joke of the week. Each load cost $1.25 per load and another $1.25 for the dryer. They do hold a double load. And we have one front loader. But the clothes come out wetter than the top loaders.

I have an illegal washing machine in my apartment. But it beginning to get to me. Having to drag it out to the kitchen faucet, hook it up and then reverse the procedure when I am done. I have had it for more than ten years and it is beginning to show its age.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #3558
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Gee Madcook, that must have been intense! Hope you heal quickly.

I grew up with horses and thought how much it would hurt to be bitten by those big teeth. We were lucky though, our Appaloosa horse named BoJangles was basically a huge dog, faithful, gentle, just a love bug. He would often find a dead spot in his electric fence and come to the house looking for an apple, if there wasn't anyone home, he would visit the neighbors. They would give him an apple then would follow them back to his barn. He also had this irresistible urge to swim, so if my sister wwas riding anywhere near the lake, she would go bareback, because he would "insist" on going for a swim at the beach, everyone got such a kick out of seeing my sister ride a swimming horse!

Our other was a mare, a retired race horse, she was a sweetie, but we had to keep a close eye on her, because if she got away, she would run like the wind!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #3559
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Spike goes to a commercial laundry that has the card system. I wish we did. I did the colors last night. Now if I can get my hands on three more quarters, I can do the whites. Building maintenance is supposed to keep the machines clean. That is our joke of the week. Each load cost $1.25 per load and another $1.25 for the dryer. They do hold a double load. And we have one front loader. But the clothes come out wetter than the top loaders.

I have an illegal washing machine in my apartment. But it beginning to get to me. Having to drag it out to the kitchen faucet, hook it up and then reverse the procedure when I am done. I have had it for more than ten years and it is beginning to show its age.
It's been about 10 years since I had to use a laundromat regularly. I went about a year ago to ash a big comforter and it cost me like $6 to wash and dry! Back when I used to go there regularly it was around $10 a week for my weekly laundry.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #3560
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Addie, I only pay $1 to wash and to dry, but there's only one top loader working. There ar two other top loaders that aren't working.

I have a tall net bag that holds one load, so when it's full, I often have to make several trips to get my turn on it. There are a bunch of front loaders, but they will only hold about a half a load and they involve bending over in such a way that they set my back pains off and the pain can last for days.

I tried using a front loader just once. When it was done, some of the clothes weren't even wet! They still cost $1 to run, too.