Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
in the latest drive-by shooting in santa barbara, california, we have a case of afluenza, a well-off young college student, elliot rodgers, armed with a sporty late model beemer, three guns, and a mysogynistic and mentally disturbed mindset, killed six people and sent another half dozen to the hospital. despite posting violent, strange and threatening videos on the social media, elliot was able to legally purchase three guns, and shortly before the retribution shooting event, to convince the police that he was not a threat to himself or others.
I don't consider the misogynistic killing of women to be a petty vent. This is major. As I understand it, he didn't even know those women. He just didn't like that they would probably turn him down if he made an advance. :mad:

Given these circumstances and with these criteria, how can we ever stop -- or even reduce -- these tragedies? It's not just guns, either. He stabbed three of his victims to death. So sad, so useless.

I don't consider the misogynistic killing of women to be a petty vent. This is major. As I understand it, he didn't even know those women. He just didn't like that they would probably turn him down if he made an advance. :mad:
I read some more about this. He killed 2 women and 4 men. He knew 3 of the men. Were they trying to stop him?

There are so many things that can cause someone to "go off". An umbilical cord wrapped around an infant's neck at birth can do specific brain damage that makes them extremely spontaneous, with little control over the spontaneous action. There is a particular condition that causes some people to fight against any and all authority. There are conditions in which people feel no remorse. And then there are people who are just plain self-centered to the extent that they are willing to hurt others to get what they want.

Like someone here mentioned, some feel cheated if someone else doesn't give them a chance, especially if they've lived a life of being bullied, or shut out of various groups or situations.

There are so many reasons why people to very bad, evil things that there is no chance at stopping all violence. Taking guns away isn't the answer. If they can't get a gun, they'll grab a knife, or a pipe, or use their bare hands if need be. Of course, if they have a gun, it makes it easier for them to do more damage. I am not a gun-control advocate. I own various fire-arms and have used them safely since I was a child, starting with a bow, to a bb-gun, and on up. I've never hurt anyone with any weapon that I've owned, and there are millions like me. Unfortunately, that isn't true of some people.

Is there an answer to violence? I don't really think there is. The most we can hope for is that strong families, where parents take the time to teach strong moral principles, respect for others, and that there are consequences for bad behavior, and consequences for good behavior. They also need to teach children coping skills for bullies, and help them to fit in. Most of all, they need to truly love, and build up their children with positive life-styles.

I believe that the media, and anyone who glorifies ideas such as revenge, take care of yourself, because nobody else will, and portray strong people as violent people, are a big part of the problem as well.

I wish I had the answers that would teach everyone to behave in a civil, and helpful way. I just don't think that there are any single answers to that question. But I think we can make a difference by living in a way that is an example good, to others to emulate.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That won't get rid of all violence. But it will help.

I love warm weather except for all the noise. All the lawn mowers,weed trimmers and leaf blowers. All day every day and even late in the evening. One neighbor in the back even cuts in the dark. He turns on his small yard light. He will still be cutting at 9:30. He gets off work at 3 in the afternoon.

I love warm weather except for all the noise. All the lawn mowers,weed trimmers and leaf blowers. All day every day and even late in the evening. One neighbor in the back even cuts in the dark. He turns on his small yard light. He will still be cutting at 9:30. He gets off work at 3 in the afternoon.

Three sides of our building is surrounded by push thick green grass without even one dandelion. Every morning at five the sprinklers go off and soak the lawns really good before they shut off at 6:30 a.m. So the grass is growing all the time. Every day starting this week, two men on driven lawn mowers will start mowing for at least an hour and longer when they put the weed killer on. Considering this used to be a school building, the south end of the building is where the playground used to be. It is now where the plots for the residents gardens are and the rest is all lawn. With two mowers running together at the same time just doubles the noise. I hate to close my windows after a long cold winter. I am enjoying the fresh air coming in. :angel:

I'm sorry, but I just need to scream AAAAARRR. I worked on this program yesterday, whole day. I've been saving probably every 15 minutes, I know I did, AND TODAY THE DARN PROGRAM IS NOT THERE. GRRRRRRRRRRRR, expletives,expletives, expletives... grrrrrrrrrrr

I'm sorry, but I just need to scream AAAAARRR. I worked on this program yesterday, whole day. I've been saving probably every 15 minutes, I know I did, AND TODAY THE DARN PROGRAM IS NOT THERE. GRRRRRRRRRRRR, expletives,expletives, expletives... grrrrrrrrrrr
Bummer.

Are you sure where the program was saved? I have had something similar happen, but found the saved document in the wrong place.

I have checked the whole PC, any place I could have saved, the whole network, even my thumb drive, even though I know I would not save any program there. It is simply gone. The weird thing is, I've been working on this program for a while, changing, improving, etc. Yesterday was at least a third time. So you would think I would at least have the version I had before I started yesterday, the second version, guess again, I have only the first rough draft, so to speak, of it. Makes me crazy. I already thought I saved it under wrong name , so I went and open anything and everything that I saved yesterday, nothing, gone. Ok, fine, something wasn't working yesterday and it did not save. But how is it possible that the program I had yesterday is gone, it was saved a week ago or so? That I simply cannot understand.

I have checked the whole PC, any place I could have saved, the whole network, even my thumb drive, even though I know I would not save any program there. It is simply gone. The weird thing is, I've been working on this program for a while, changing, improving, etc. Yesterday was at least a third time. So you would think I would at least have the version I had before I started yesterday, the second version, guess again, I have only the first rough draft, so to speak, of it. Makes me crazy. I already thought I saved it under wrong name , so I went and open anything and everything that I saved yesterday, nothing, gone. Ok, fine, something wasn't working yesterday and it did not save. But how is it possible that the program I had yesterday is gone, it was saved a week ago or so? That I simply cannot understand.
That really stinks Charlie. Have you looked in the Recycle Bin?

When I lose a file and can't find it I do a search of the entire computer, using the file name or part of the file name as the search key. Then I go do something else, because it takes a while. I think you can specify the "modified date" to make the search faster.

We have a neighbor who works overnight. Sometimes he comes home and cuts the grass before he goes to bed. It's EARLY! LOL But when I think about it, I'm so much happier hearing the lawnmowers and weed whackers than I was hearing the snow blowers and snow plows.

The gnats are HORRID this year! Now the pesky Eye gnats have been joined by the Buffalo gnats, the ones that bite and leave big itchy welts. Absorbine Jr only works for a brief period of time. Does not make for fun gardening.

Dawglover, first it was ticks, now gnats! You sure are having issues with the insects! The only problem we have had is after DH tilled the garden behind the house we had an attack of ants. I think he disturbed their nest!

Life in the country! And mosquito season is just starting!

I found some Afterbite, it seems to help with the itchy welts. Picked a tick off Beagle the other day, thankfully haven't found any new ones on me lately.

Last edited:
Life in the country! And mosquito season is just starting!

I found some Afterbite, it seems to help with the itchy welts. Picked a tick off Beagle the other day, thankfully haven't found any new ones on me lately.

Dawg, when I was living in Hawaii, Poo got some nasty mosquito bites that became infected. I had a very large aloe plant growing outside my door. I pinched off a piece and squeezed out some of the gel. Instantly they stopped itching and showed improvement in just a couple of hours. The infection cleared up with just the aloe gel. Even when we came back stateside, I bought an aloe plant and used it every summer to take care of any insect bites. :angel:

Dawg, when I was living in Hawaii, Poo got some nasty mosquito bites that became infected. I had a very large aloe plant growing outside my door. I pinched off a piece and squeezed out some of the gel. Instantly they stopped itching and showed improvement in just a couple of hours. The infection cleared up with just the aloe gel. Even when we came back stateside, I bought an aloe plant and used it every summer to take care of any insect bites. :angel:

Aloe is amazing stuff, isn't it? Great for burns too. We always take a bottle with us when we head south for sun.

I'm impressed with Afterbite. It also stopped the itching immediately.

Aloe is amazing stuff, isn't it? Great for burns too. We always take a bottle with us when we head south for sun.

I'm impressed with Afterbite. It also stopped the itching immediately.

I have even put aloe on my sons shoulders when they got sunburned. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom