Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The gnats are HORRID this year! Now the pesky Eye gnats have been joined by the Buffalo gnats, the ones that bite and leave big itchy welts. Absorbine Jr only works for a brief period of time. Does not make for fun gardening.

When we were in Spain for several years we had man-eating mosquitos. We found oil of citronella was the best repellent. The mozzies hated it and it didn't smell vile like a lot of the proprietary products.

As for Beagle (is he a dog?), will he eat food with garlic in it? I add 100% garlic powder (sold for horses) to Horse's food 365 days a year. It builds up in the system and he is free of fly bites all summer. It also worked on my old mare who was a martyr to sweet itch (caused by the culcoides midge) despite having her mane hogged and the only thing which worked was the garlic. It doesn't work immediately and it needs to be fed all year round to be effective.

When we were in Spain for several years we had man-eating mosquitos. We found oil of citronella was the best repellent. The mozzies hated it and it didn't smell vile like a lot of the proprietary products.

As for Beagle (is he a dog?), will he eat food with garlic in it? I add 100% garlic powder (sold for horses) to Horse's food 365 days a year. It builds up in the system and he is free of fly bites all summer. It also worked on my old mare who was a martyr to sweet itch (caused by the culcoides midge) despite having her mane hogged and the only thing which worked was the garlic. It doesn't work immediately and it needs to be fed all year round to be effective.

We have a local company that makes a citronella based gnat spray, but it wears off in about 5 minutes. It does smell nice though.

Garlic isn't good for dogs. We do apply some gnat spray, or Absorbine Jr to her ears.

Mosquitos can smell. Who knew?

I forgot about the garlic. And old Italian remedy. How about just tying a couple of cloves of garlic in a small piece of netting to her collar? Or even rubbing some on her coat every day or two? :angel:

I wonder if that's why mosquitos never bite me. I eat garlic every day. They head straight for DH. He eats sweets all day.

I wonder if that's why mosquitos never bite me. I eat garlic every day. They head straight for DH. He eats sweets all day.

When I was eating a lot of garlic, they stayed away from me as well. My DW ate a lot of sweets (still does) and gets chewed on by every mosquito from three counties, or so it seems.

Eat more garlic everyone.!;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Mosquitoes love to bite me. I eat a fair amount of garlic and not a lot of sweets. I have tried making sure to eat plenty of garlic every day and it didn't help. Stirling is obese and doesn't eat a lot of sweets. He enjoys his garlic too and they bite him even more than they bite me.

Mosquitoes like me so much that friends like walking with me in mosquito areas because they get bitten less.

DH is the guy everyone likes to have at outdoor get togethers. He's a skeeter magnet, drawing them away from everyone else too. He's thin, eats no sweets, and enjoys a fair bit of garlic.

I should really have my daughter start eating garlic. Mosquitoes love her. Unfortunately her skin is so sensitive the bites get swollen up really bad.

Skeeter magnet is a great term. It's both me and Stirling. And yes, stand near Stirling when there are skeeters around. ;)

I should really have my daughter start eating garlic. Mosquitoes love her. Unfortunately her skin is so sensitive the bites get swollen up really bad.

Charlie, I had the same problem with Poo when he was small. Buy a bottle of Aloe Gel at your pharmacy and place a small dab on each bite. It stops the itching and helps prevents infection. :angel:

We don't have many skeeters here. It's too dry of a climate here to support them. But up at the river about an hour away, they are abundant. We have rattlesnakes and scorpions, though. :ohmy: I guess there are nuisance critters everywhere.

We don't have many skeeters here. It's too dry of a climate here to support them. But up at the river about an hour away, they are abundant. We have rattlesnakes and scorpions, though. :ohmy: I guess there are nuisance critters everywhere.
I would rather have rattlesnakes and scorpions. If you leave them alone, they leave you alone. Skeeters are the animal that kills the most humans. Just saw this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKyrVzvjHWw&feature=youtu.be

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom