"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #3581
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Well, I disagree with the cardiologist. Jerk!

What thinner are you taking, what dose and what dose of aspirin? You can PM me that info.

Stupid cardiologist, what a jerk!

Old 10-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #3582
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

There's a reason it's called "practicing" medicine....

Laurie, sure hope you can get this resolved!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #3583
Executive Chef

I would absolutely count them right in front of the pharmacy person before leaving. Once you step away they could say you took them.

I actually had this happen when I was charged with picking presecriptions for my late father in law. The first time we thought innocent mistake, 2nd time began to wonder, 3rd time .. no way. 4th time I opened the bottle right then and there and counted them out and sure enough .. short.

Better to assume an error but repetition is not a mistake.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #3584
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Cute, Barbara!

So, my GP talked to the cardiologist who said he put me on the aspirin and blood thinner for a reason and I should just suck it up and not worry about the bruising unless I have other bleeding as PF said.

My doctor is fuming! She didn't send me to this guy, the hospital did and while she isn't a cardiologist she said my tests don't seem so bad - that the angiogram is just to be safe and with my other conditions she is worried more about the drugs and the bruising than me having a heart attack. She is going to get me in to see a new cardiologist ASAP. She won't change the medication until she can get the second opinion but if I have other symptoms I am to go off the aspirin first and then contact her office ASAP.

My doctor is really good (she actually phoned me today twice and the cardiologist on her day off because the receptionist thought it was serious enough to contact her). She wants us to photograph the bruising and I need to phone in the morning for an emergency appointment to see her as she is fully booked. They know I will be calling but they have to follow procedure.

This is the second time a doctor has told me to "suck it up". The first one was an orthopedic surgeon who said that no one would touch my knee for 10 years and I would just have to suck it up with the pain and inability to walk. I had the replacement surgery 6 months later by another doctor who when it was done said I couldn't have waited one year let alone 10!
If you and I weren't nice Christian ladies, I would suggest that you wave your fist in that cardiologist's face and say, "Oh yeah?! Suck THIS up!"
Old 10-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #3585
Certified Pretend Chef

Laurie your GP sounds great and your cardiologist is an ass. If it was me, I'd change cardiologists.

I hope you and the GP can get your stuff straight ASAP. Take care.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #3586
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That cardiologist sounds like one of the doctors I dealt with in the ER a couple of years ago. I had fallen on the sidewalk and my knee hurt like the dickens. I had broken my kneecap 10 years previously, so I had a brace for that. I was wearing it at the ER.

Doctor, "Why are you wearing that?" points at the brace.
Me, "Because it hurts when I don't."
Doctor, "Quit being such a big baby."
Me, "But what if the kneecap is broken."
Doctor, "Don't be silly. It isn't broken."
Me, "Then why does it hurt like a broken bone."
Doctor, "It's arthritis."

No, I don't have arthritis; yes, it was broken.

Someone should teach those doctors that the body doesn't make pain to be mean, it makes pain to tell you to change something or stop doing something.

If I had listened to that doctor walked around without the brace, I would probably have needed surgery and staples in the kneecap. That's what the other doctor told me.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #3587
Executive Chef

pf and mrslmb, thank you both for your sound and sensible advice.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #3588
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
let me add a bit more information to the above scenario: you are short 10 vicoden pills and 10 of another drug that same day. the second drug has no apparent street value to your knowledge. how would you handle this situation?
You could go back to the pharmacy and complain, if it was a mistake they can pick it up on their stockfile every pill and capsule is captured on the system when they receive it.
It may have been an honest mistake, sometimes patient are prescribed less than a full package of medication. From personal experience I know that mistakes can be made. Pharmacist mark opened boxes to prevent other pharmacist from dispensing them by accident but sometimes people forget to mark them.
Even if someone did take the meds it doesn't mean it was the Pharmacist than dispensed it to you. It could have been an assistant or intern.
Medication should be checked infront of patients and if not you should check before you pay for meds.
Mistakes happen, pharmacies get busy. I know on my worst day as a pharmacist I dispensed over 1000 prescriptions in one day.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #3589
Executive Chef

1000 rxes in one day is an enormous amount! how could you not make mistakes at such a pace? i didn't understand what you were saying regarding the stockfile, snip, and how that would be a way of checking a mistake in an rx count? what exactly is a stockfile, and how would it work? are the pills counted or weighed on scales? it would be good to get to the bottom of this rather sizable irregularity.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:38 AM   #3590
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
1000 rxes in one day is an enormous amount! how could you not make mistakes at such a pace? i didn't understand what you were saying regarding the stockfile, snip, and how that would be a way of checking a mistake in an rx count? what exactly is a stockfile, and how would it work? are the pills counted or weighed on scales? it would be good to get to the bottom of this rather sizable irregularity.

Vicoden is a narcotic medication, their stock has to match the amount dispensed by federal law. If they have 100 tabs at opening, they must have 50 left if they dispensed 50 to a customer. The beginning and ending numbers MUST match.