Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, nobody has had to vent in awhile - that's great!

Unfortunately I have to break that streak. Our province is going through a tough time with teachers. The government and the union are not getting anywhere and there have been rotating lockouts and walkouts.

The ones who are really getting hurt in this whole thing are the high school students who want to get their grades so they can go on after graduation. So, yesterday, which was the only day of the week teachers weren't out somewhere, the students set up their own walk out via Facebook. They didn't go to school and instead picketed with signs saying "We matter too" and "where do we fit in all of this"?, etc.

Well the students are getting slammed for their actions. The press and much of the public are saying they just wanted another day off, they are making matters worse, if they are worried about the school they are missing why didn't they take advantage of the one day they could all be in class.

I agree with the students. All of the ones interviewed were very sincere and worried about their cause. Yes, I am sure there were many who just used it as an excuse not to go, but that's going to happen anyway.

Now there is talk of a full out strike next week, right when the high school students are writing finals.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the teacher's position here, but I am also on the side of the students.

Last edited:

Unfortunately I have to break that streak. Our province is going through a tough time with teachers. The government and the union are not getting anywhere and there have been rotating lockouts and walkouts.

The ones who are really getting hurt in this whole thing are the high school students who want to get their grades so they can go on after graduation. So, yesterday, which was the only day of the week teachers weren't out somewhere, the students set up their own walk out via Facebook. They didn't go to school and instead picketed with signs saying "We matter too" and "where do we fit in all of this"?, etc.

Well the students are getting slammed for their actions. The press and much of the public are saying they just wanted another day off, they are making matters worse, if they are worried about the school they are missing why didn't they take advantage of the one day they could all be in class.

I agree with the students. All of the ones interviewed were very sincere and worried about their cause. Yes, I am sure there were many who just used it as an excuse not to go, but that's going to happen anyway.

Now there is talk of a full out strike next week, right when the high school students are writing finals.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the teacher's position here, but I am also on the side of the students.

I am more and more becoming fed up with the whole "money rules everything" idea. I wish we could just abolish the stuff, and everyone put in an honest day's labor, then swap their produced goods for someone elses produced goods. To have to compete with every living soul on the planet just seems to me to be a ridiculous idea. How great would it be if we all decided to work together. How great would it be to be able to eliminate greed. Make no mistake about it; it's the desire to obtain an easy living that drives strikes and unrest. I'm not saying that the teachers are greedy, or that the government is in the wrong. I don't know who is the primary villain. I just know that someone wants more at the expense of the students.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I am more and more becoming fed up with the whole "money rules everything" idea. I wish we could just abolish the stuff, and everyone put in an honest day's labor, then swap their produced goods for someone elses produced goods. To have to compete with every living soul on the planet just seems to me to be a ridiculous idea. How great would it be if we all decided to work together. How great would it be to be able to eliminate greed. Make no mistake about it; it's the desire to obtain an easy living that drives strikes and unrest. I'm not saying that the teachers are greedy, or that the government is in the wrong. I don't know who is the primary villain. I just know that someone wants more at the expense of the students.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

What HAVE you been smoking???? :LOL::LOL:

I'm getting really annoyed at a neighbor's dogs, who bark incessantly. I'm seriously thinking of duct tape.

What better time to strike than when the future of the next generation is at stake. That sure will get someone's attention. I would rather see them strike at the beginning of the year. :angel:

I don't understand the teachers position.

I do understand people wanting to improve life for themselves and their families. I do not think simply demanding more is the correct way to go about it. What happened to improving your marketable skills and gaining experience so you have more to offer an employer and ultimately command a higher price for your time. I think it would be fairly easy to fill these positions with well educated people who would enjoy a position with decent pay and benefits.

If these teachers were in the same position as Oliver I might feel differently.

Oliver - please sir i want some more - YouTube

I don't think teachers should be allowed to strike. I am only brave enough to say that because no one here knows where to find me! LOL

What happened to improving your marketable skills and gaining experience so you have more to offer an employer and ultimately command a higher price for your time. I think it would be fairly easy to fill these positions with well educated people who would enjoy a position with decent pay and benefits.

I don't know the specifics of this situation, but 1) teachers are public employees so improving your education and skills doesn't have the same rewards as the private sector and 2) it takes more than being educated to walk into a classroom and teach effectively.

My dad used to be a teacher. The taxpayers wouldn't approve a tax increase to pay for teachers' raises - for five years. Is that fair? It doesn't matter if you got a master's degree during that time - no raise.

There are many school systems that will not hire without a masters degree. And also a lot of companies. So you may as well stay in school that extra year and get your masters. But then the cost of tuition becomes a factor. :angel:

Everyone should be paid fairly for their work. Considering how much responsibility we put on teachers, it's amazing they don't get paid better. That said, you also have to weigh the impact of their tactics to get the contract they want and the tactics of the opposition (city or town officials). Parents and other residents of the community get hyper over the topic because it's their money the teachers want and IT'S ALL ON TV.

There are many school systems that will not hire without a masters degree. And also a lot of companies. So you may as well stay in school that extra year and get your masters. But then the cost of tuition becomes a factor. :angel:

With the national shortage of science, technology, engineering and math teachers, I'm surprised there are very many districts that can be that selective.

With the national shortage of science, technology, engineering and math teachers, I'm surprised there are very many districts that can be that selective.

In this state, if you hold a license for any employment, you must keep up with your continuous education. And that goes for every teacher, nurse, doctor, lawyer, etc. in the state.

In this state, if you hold a license for any employment, you must keep up with your continuous education. And that goes for every teacher, nurse, doctor, lawyer, etc. in the state.

That's true in every state. Continuing education doesn't necessarily lead to a master's degree, though. It's often professional development, like the class DH and his two colleagues teach to teachers in their district.

Last edited:
Overpaid Teachers
TIRED OF THOSE HIGH PAID TEACHERS!

I, for one, am sick and tired of those high paid teachers. Their hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work nine or ten months a year!

It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do, babysit!. We can get that for less than minimum wage. That's right... I would give the $3.00 dollars an hour and only the hours they worked, not any of that silly planning time.

That would be 15 dollars a day. Each parent should pay 15 dollars a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now, how many do they teach in a day....maybe 25. Then that's 15 X 25=$375 a day. But remember they only work 180 days a year! I'm not going to pay them for any vacations.
Let's see... that's 375 x 180=$67,500.00 (Hold on, my calculator must need batteries!)

What about those special teachers or the ones with masters degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage just to be fair. Let's round it off to $6.00 an hour. That would be $6 times 5 hours times 25 children times 180 days= $135,000.00 per year. Wait a minute, there is something wrong here!!!

There sure is, huh????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from Overpaid Teachers

TL, I just read that to DH - he says he'll happily take that $135,000! :LOL:

Actually, he no longer teaches in the classroom - he became an administrator 10 years ago after 13 years of teaching and 4 years in the Navy and would *still* love to have that salary.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Last edited:
I don't think teachers should be allowed to strike. I am only brave enough to say that because no one here knows where to find me! LOL

In many places, it's illegal for public employees to strike. It was in Michigan in the late '70s when my dad didn't get a raise for 5 years, during 20% per year inflation. So they went on strike. The school board went to court, which ordered them back to work. They refused. They were arrested for contempt of court and put in jail for 30 days, taken away IN CHAINS ON TV. My dad spent his 40th birthday in jail. He quit teaching not long after that.

Last edited:
Money is definitely an issue for the teachers but so is class size and extra-curricular activities. Which can be taken many ways. 1)they are worried about not being able to teach effectively in larger class sizes, 2)more work, more marking, 3) less money for more work.

I just want it over for the sake of the students....and many of my friends are teachers and they hate the job action too. They just want to teach their kids but the union is pressing for more and more and more.....

The government is not budging, but are threatening to legislate them back on an essential services bill.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom