"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #351
Head Chef

It's a pet peeve of mine that flood insurance is not covered under homeowner's insurance. That big storm up the east coast is sure to cause water damage and it just seems ridiculous that you have to buy separate insurance for it. Why is it any more likely for wind damage (which is covered) to occur than flood damage (which is not)? I bought flood insurance for years because it was required by the mortgage on the house and its location in a flood plain. But really, isn't any place it rains subject to getting excess water? Come to think of it, I don't think flood insurance is available if you're not in a flood plain - can't recall if that's true or not.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #352
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
It's a pet peeve of mine that flood insurance is not covered under homeowner's insurance. That big storm up the east coast is sure to cause water damage and it just seems ridiculous that you have to buy separate insurance for it. Why is it any more likely for wind damage (which is covered) to occur than flood damage (which is not)? I bought flood insurance for years because it was required by the mortgage on the house and its location in a flood plain. But really, isn't any place it rains subject to getting excess water? Come to think of it, I don't think flood insurance is available if you're not in a flood plain - can't recall if that's true or not.
Sometimes I think insurance companies are idiots. You can't get earthquake insurance unless you live in an area with dangerous earthquakes. Hunh? Why won't they take my money for something low risk? Same stupidity as the flood plain thing.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #353
Master Chef

Just spent 2 hours washing dishes after dinner. Psoriasis is acting up from all the chemicals, my poor hands look like lizzard scales "rolling my eyes" lol! How can 8 people dirty 5 basins full of dishes? I washed everything I used while cooking too and the men drank beer in bottles. My house looks like we had a frat party, getting stuck to my dining room table as I type. It must be beer and I didn't even have any. Think I'm going to bed now since it's 11:25 pm.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:52 AM   #354
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
It's a pet peeve of mine that flood insurance is not covered under home owner's insurance. That big storm up the east coast is sure to cause water damage and it just seems ridiculous that you have to buy separate insurance for it. Why is it any more likely for wind damage (which is covered) to occur than flood damage (which is not)? I bought flood insurance for years because it was required by the mortgage on the house and its location in a flood plain. But really, isn't any place it rains subject to getting excess water? Come to think of it, I don't think flood insurance is available if you're not in a flood plain - can't recall if that's true or not.
I am trying to jog my memory. Back in the 50's there was a major BIG flood from the Mississippi River. I remember seeing pictures in Life magazine taken from the air. Not only homes were lost, but crops, animals, etc. The water went inland on both sides of the river for miles. And because the Mississippi was so polluted at the time, it left the land unfit for growing crops. The insurance companies took a beating. Not just for covering the homes but also the crops. After that, they refused to give you flood insurance unless you moved and gave up your land and way of life. Very few folks were willing to do that. So when the next flood came, the government stepped in. That is when you got your insurance through the government. But they also had restrictions. So you can blame the government for the rules.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #355
Certified Pretend Chef

I have these silicone pot holders that work great. They allow you to hold the hottest cookware for a good bit of time with no heat transfer. I love them. I also have a 'seeing eye' thumb that can find the tiny little hole in the edge of the pot holder for hanging it on a hook. As a result, I now have a 'pot holder hole' sized blister on the tip of my thumb.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #356
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have these silicone pot holders that work great. They allow you to hold the hottest cookware for a good bit of time with no heat transfer. I love them. I also have a 'seeing eye' thumb that can find the tiny little hole in the edge of the pot holder for hanging it on a hook. As a result, I now have a 'pot holder hole' sized blister on the tip of my thumb.
Ouch! Time to fix that hole...
Old 10-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #357
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You can file that with my putting out a cigarette with the tip of my finger. Not the smartest thing I have ever done.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #358
Master Chef

Wanted to upload a few recent pics of my kids onto my profile then it hit me, I've never done it myself! Timothy used to move my FB photo's onto DC for me.
I've never missed a friend this much.
I don't cry, why in heck am I crying?!

Old 10-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #359
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Wanted to upload a few recent pics of my kids onto my profile then it hit me, I've never done it myself! Timothy used to move my FB photo's onto DC for me.
I've never missed a friend this much.
I don't cry, why in heck am I crying?!

hugs, snippers. best friends are missed most tenderly well....
Old 10-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #360
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
hugs, snippers. best friends are missed most tenderly well....
Thank you V Just feel stupid sometimes for caring so much about a friend that I never met in person. Will always regret that we never met, we would have as soon as either of us could afford a plane ticket. Can't explain it but I guess we all meet someone that we have a spiritual connection with, he was that friend to me.
The only other person I've ever felt like that about was my Gran.
He really was a great friend.
I haven't lost many people I was close to, just my Gran really. My other family members and friends that passed were not a big part of my life and the loss was easier to deal with. Feel like I've lost a family member.

I'll get a grip now, just have moments when I allow myself to think too much.