"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #3591
Certified Pretend Chef

I was thinking about getting some stretch laces for a pair of casual shoes I wear in the winter. I like the idea of slipping into and out of them without the need to tie/untie the laces all the time.

My daughter buys them at a discount shoe store (Payless) for my grandson.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #3592
Executive Chef

I found some online at Target.com. Although I prefer not to order online, they are only $2.99 and free shipping. They come in every color you could possible want. I got 2 black and 1 white.

shark tank laces at Target

Old 10-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #3593
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I was thinking about getting some stretch laces for a pair of casual shoes I wear in the winter. I like the idea of slipping into and out of them without the need to tie/untie the laces all the time.

My daughter buys them at a discount shoe store (Payless) for my grandson.
we allowed our son to wear sneakers with a velcro strap for many years since he refused to learn how to tie his shoes. (notice he's "our son" and not "my boy"" when there's a problem? )

he could tie a trilene knot, a double half hitch, and a sheet bend from the time he was 6. but shoes? no way jose'.

he eventually capitulated but i'm not sure if it was worth the battle. ya gotta pick the ones that matter, or start 'em out right before they know there's an option.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #3594
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
we allowed our son to wear sneakers with a velcro strap for many years since he refused to learn how to tie his shoes. (notice he's "our son" and not "my boy"" when there's a problem? )

he could tie a trilene knot, a double half hitch, and a sheet bend from the time he was 6. but shoes? no way jose'.

he eventually capitulated but i'm not sure if it was worth the battle. ya gotta pick the ones that matter, or start 'em out right before they know there's an option.
My grandson had velcro sneakers when he was younger. I was all for them as I didn't have to tie his shoes all the time. It made him self-sufficient rather than relying on an adult to dress him. Now his footwear is a fashion statement so the closure method is secondary and he uses the stretch laces. He may never learn how to tie shoelaces. That's OK. he'll never learn how to use a dial type phone or a VCR either.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #3595
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Reminds me of the birthday when someone gave my nephew a digital watch. His disparaging remark, "They think I don't know how to tell time!"
Old 10-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #3596
Chef Extraordinaire

That day when they finally learn how to tie their shoes was always a big day in our house. I remember when my daughter learned, she kept untying and tying her shoes for anyone who would watch. Spike learned in school in the first grade. I guess the teacher was tired of tying shoes during her day, so she took the time to teach everyone how to do it. Bless her heart.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #3597
Chef Extraordinaire

i remember extorting my aunts and uncles when i learned.

my sisters taught me how to tie my shoes, but when my aunts and uncles would come to visit , i let each one "teach" me, then mention that another relative offered me a quarter if i tried really hard.
when i tied the laces successfully in front of them, cha-ching!!!

if i pretended to try all day then finally succeed just before they left, we were talking paper money.

true story.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #3598
Master Chef

This conversation made me think of the old shoes for boys called "mousetraps" or "grasshoppers". The shoes had a leather covered lever that you pulled up, put your foot in and then snapped the lever back down.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #3599
Certified Pretend Chef

Aunt Bea, I had a pair of those shoes!
Old 10-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #3600
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i remember extorting my aunts and uncles when i learned.

my sisters taught me how to tie my shoes, but when my aunts and uncles would come to visit , i let each one "teach" me, then mention that another relative offered me a quarter if i tried really hard.
when i tied the laces successfully in front of them, cha-ching!!!

if i pretended to try all day then finally succeed just before they left, we were talking paper money.

true story.
Extortion and bribery! I am impressed!