Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What does this mean?

Same as what happened to your dad I'd guess.

The teachers will start voting next week to go out on a full strike. However, the government can deem them as an essential service which means they will fall under pre-existing laws stipulating that anyone classified as an essential service will be ordered back to work.

Parents today went on picket lines standing up for their kids; some were in favour of the teacher's demands and others were not.

While the union is pushing for the teachers to vote yes to the all out strike, they are also saying that their funds are low and will not cover much in the way of strike pay if it is passed. :wacko:

Support staff are also out as they will not cross the picket lines so they lose money. And graduation ceremonies (and dances) are having to be re-booked elsewhere as they can't use the schools. As well, striking teachers will not be allowed to see their students receive their diplomas.

This is just a total mess. One of the girls I mentor needs her provincial exams to get finalize an application for a very tough program (Vet technician) and if she doesn't get them in, will be forced to wait another whole year to see if she is even accepted.

I do not believe in Unions and will not work for a hospital or facility that requires me to join a Union. There are some workers who should never be "subject" to the decisions of a Union.

TB is in a union but it hasn't helped him the couple of times he needed it. They did stand up to the transit company regarding laying off drivers in favour of taxis but the taxi issue is still being tossed back and forth. Thankfully though TB now has enough seniority he is not in jeopardy of lay-off or being bumped to a different depot for the taxi issue anyway.

In many places, it's illegal for public employees to strike. It was in Michigan in the late '70s when my dad didn't get a raise for 5 years, during 20% per year inflation. So they went on strike. The school board went to court, which ordered them back to work. They refused. They were arrested for contempt of court and put in jail for 30 days, taken away IN CHAINS ON TV. My dad spent his 40th birthday in jail. He quit teaching not long after that.

A friend's husband lost his job as an air traffic controller when Reagan ordered them back to work and they didn't go. He was never allowed to work as an air traffic controller again. They have struggled financially ever since.

My marriage seems to be fine, but maybe my husband has some hidden anger toward me. Lately he has been hitting me in his sleep. At least he SAYS he was asleep and didn't know he did it. The first time was a couple weeks ago when he first tapped me on the back of the head and then punched me really hard, twice! I jumped out of bet yelling "What are you doing?" He said he was dreaming that he couldn't get the door open so he started to pound on it. Then last night he started beating me on the back. I yelled, and he said I was pulling on his toe. I was NOT. I was sound asleep! I always sleep with my back to him because if I face him the air from my Cpap mask hits him in the head and bothers him. I think maybe I should tell him that being used as a punching bag bothers ME!

My marriage seems to be fine, but maybe my husband has some hidden anger toward me. Lately he has been hitting me in his sleep. At least he SAYS he was asleep and didn't know he did it. The first time was a couple weeks ago when he first tapped me on the back of the head and then punched me really hard, twice! I jumped out of bet yelling "What are you doing?" He said he was dreaming that he couldn't get the door open so he started to pound on it. Then last night he started beating me on the back. I yelled, and he said I was pulling on his toe. I was NOT. I was sound asleep! I always sleep with my back to him because if I face him the air from my Cpap mask hits him in the head and bothers him. I think maybe I should tell him that being used as a punching bag bothers ME!

I'm thinking straight jacket? Maybe tie him to the bed? Or, he hits you, you wallop him.

On the other hand, maybe he just needs some TLC (that's what I'd give DW, though I've thought of the other solutions.;)). Stress could be causing him dreamland distress, which causes you night-time distress.

Stress can manifest itself in many ways. You might talk to him about anything bothering him at work, at home, with his friends, etc. Sometimes, all someone needs is a listening ear. Sometimes, they need the straight jacket.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm thinking straight jacket? Maybe tie him to the bed? Or, he hits you, you wallop him.

On the other hand, maybe he just needs some TLC (that's what I'd give DW, though I've thought of the other solutions.;)). Stress could be causing him dreamland distress, which causes you night-time distress.

Stress can manifest itself in many ways. You might talk to him about anything bothering him at work, at home, with his friends, etc. Sometimes, all someone needs is a listening ear. Sometimes, they need the straight jacket.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I was thinking, kick him to the guest room!

Is he on sleep meds, Carol? Or any other meds? Or as Chief asked, under stress? You might want to have him check with his Dr. if this continues. He's probably sound asleep too, and doesn't know what happened.

He has always been one to be talking or yelling in his sleep, but until now was never physical. Usually, it's funny. This is not funny, at least not to me! LOL

No sleep meds. Just BP pills. He is still having residual pain from the shingles and takes Advil for that.

Last edited:
Carol, I have panic attacks in my sleep where I hit myself, the bed or TB. I am totally unaware I am doing it and he has to wake me to make me stop, which he says is not always easy. I get very upset once I come to as I don't want to hurt him.

Your husband could be having similar attacks and not realize it. His seem a bit different, but it may be an explanation.

DH just looked over my shoulder and saw that I'm telling on him. He got mad! I told him I wanted to make sure if I'm found bludgeoned to death someone will be able to testify against him!

DH just looked over my shoulder and saw that I'm telling on him. He got mad! I told him I wanted to make sure if I'm found bludgeoned to death someone will be able to testify against him!

I understand his anger. He assumed this was a private matter between you and him.

I understand his anger. He assumed this was a private matter between you and him.

Now you've made me feel guilty....

He tells people things that I do, but he tells family members and friends! I just told a bunch of people who don't actually know him!

Last edited:
These ads are on both sides of the post and are covering up alot of the post. I can't see who is posting at all. I don't mind the ads at the top, but these interfere with reading the post.

I understand. Did you understand that you can use AdBlock to get rid of the ads?

What browser are you using? Did this annoyance just start or has it been on going?

Now you've made me feel guilty....

He tells people things that I do, but he tells family members and friends! I just told a bunch of people who don't actually know him!

CarolPa; we all slip up sometimes. We are mortals, perfectly capable of making mistakes. Just ask my wife. I have spoken of things that I shouldn't have. Fortunately, I don't do it nearly as often as I once might have. We all make mistakes. The trick is to learn from them.

Besides, you were doing this thing called venting. I once made the mistake about venting to my wonderful MIL (and she is really great:)) about something DW did to make me angry. Yeh, MIL thought our marriage was in trouble and called to talk to DW. That didn't go over well at all.

The point is, that though much of what I had said came from pure frustration, I said things that I wouldn't have said with a cooler head, and things that I didn't even mean or believe.

Stress, be it from anger, frustration, fear, or whatever can short-circuit our normal feelings, and our true thoughts, helping us to say things we shouldn't say, and probably don't even mean.

You didn't go so far as to say anything bad about your DH, just that you didnt' care to get punched while he was sleeping.

Learn from this experience, and let him know that you are sorry for breaking the privacy rules. You'll work it out.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom