"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-30-2014, 01:41 AM   #3621
Master Chef

When it comes to grits, we have all kinds in our local stores. I guess it helps when there is a high concentration of Hispanic people in the area. Works for me! Cheesy grits, creamy grits, fry-a-slab type grits. We eat them all.

Has anyone tried the bake-in-the-oven preparation method for grits? I've read that they turn out great and you don't have to stir or dodge splatters. Just wondering if anyone has first-hand experience. Thanks.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:17 AM   #3622
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
As much as I hate to admit it Addie, shopping carts are needed for those of us (like me) who need "some" assistance that hand baskets just don't provide. Thankfully, I need no other mobility assistance at this point, and I'll deal with that when I must. For now, I expect shopping carts!
I have those days too!

I use the carts to do my shopping aerobics, my memory is so bad somtimes I have to do 3 or 4 laps around the store before I find everything I need!

The main thing is to keep truckin'!

Old 10-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #3623
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
When it comes to grits, we have all kinds in our local stores. I guess it helps when there is a high concentration of Hispanic people in the area. Works for me! Cheesy grits, creamy grits, fry-a-slab type grits. We eat them all.

Has anyone tried the bake-in-the-oven preparation method for grits? I've read that they turn out great and you don't have to stir or dodge splatters. Just wondering if anyone has first-hand experience. Thanks.
Actually, CG, we do have a very large Hispanic community and, in fact, it's pretty easy to buy goat for cooking in our community than in many regions.

All the grits I found in any of the markets I visited were of the instant/quick variety, which is not what I wanted.

Yep, we love grits any way they can be prepared and I discovered a foolproof way of making them, minus splatters, etc., in the October issue of Southern Living magazine. They were the creamiest and most delicious grits I'd ever tasted, much less cooked. Glenn loved them, too.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #3624
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
LOL! Something about the squeaky (shopping cart) wheel getting the grease...

Way to go, K!

The squeaky wheel carts are reserved for me. I always get a cart with a squeak. DH said he can always find me in the store. Squeak, squeak, squeak. Or, I get the cart that always wants to pull to one side.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #3625
Executive Chef

I have never tried grits. I think one restaurant has them on their breakfast buffet. I've never seen them on any other menus. Probably at Cracker Barrel, but we don't go there. I've seen them in stores, but never bought them.

I also use a shopping cart as a walker. One time I tried one of their scooters and I was crashing into everything including another shopper. That was one clue that I'd better keep my mobility up. LOL I was almost run down by someone else in a scooter. I told him, "Handicapped or not, you should show some respect for the other shoppers."
Old 10-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #3626
Executive Chef

My stretchy shoe laces came today. Can't wait to put them in my shoes.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:08 PM   #3627
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
The squeaky wheel carts are reserved for me. I always get a cart with a squeak. DH said he can always find me in the store. Squeak, squeak, squeak. Or, I get the cart that always wants to pull to one side.
You forgot the cart with the square wheels. I always got that one. The electric carts do have a beeper on them. Because I have my own scooter, I am a whiz on the store ones. They go snail pace compared to mine. I back up, turn around in the middle of an aisle, and race around like a maniac. But then I am at the store at seven in the morning and a lot of times it is only me and my son along with the help stocking the shelves.

Today I made a run up to Rite Aid. I was thinking of Kayelle. Sure enough I needed something on the upper level. I called for help. They are doing a major construction job on the sidewalk. I had to go out into the street. Two cops looked at me and I whizzed by them. They were all set to stop traffic for me. It dawned on them I was doing just fine on my own. But I did say thank you.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #3628
Executive Chef

DH took some of my stretchy laces so I had to order more! LOL
Old 10-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #3629
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
DH took some of my stretchy laces so I had to order more! LOL
You should have hidden them. It is time for him to learn how to tie his own shoes.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #3630
Chef Extraordinaire

A couple of days ago there were a couple of illegal posts for sneakers from China. I had to open them in order to report them. Now I have these banners across and on the side of my screen. Too bad I can't read them. But they are so annoying.