Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had to change my phone settings because my SIL's name is Sean but my phone wouldn't let me type it. It kept changing it to Dean. Even if I went back and corrected it, it still changed it to Dean. Is there any way to override it?

I had to change my phone settings because my SIL's name is Sean but my phone wouldn't let me type it. It kept changing it to Dean. Even if I went back and corrected it, it still changed it to Dean. Is there any way to override it?
What kind of phone? iPhone, Android, Windows, Blackberry, ...?

Addie, ever since my heart surgery DH has been doing the vacuuming even though I CAN do it now. If he leaves this earth before I do I am getting a Roomba. And a 4-door car. And I'm going to turn the setting down on the air condition so I can wear summer clothes in the summer. And turn the heat down in the winter so I can wear winter clothes in the winter. I'm sure I could think of a few other things.

Just use the initials SIL. :angel:

I have deleted some of those types of words from my phone's history. I also purchased an inexpensive app that learns my typing patterns so the prediction improves over time.

GG, where did you find the app that learns your typing pattern? I could use that myself.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

We came back from our very nice visit with our kids back in Ohio and found a central air conditioning system that didn't want to cool. :( Since we've had to have tiny leaks fixed and a freon charge done three years ago we weren't surprised. Just sad thinking it could cost a ton. Or three, since our system is a 3-ton. Turns out that our technician now had a new weapon to seal leaks, but the increase in cost for the no-longer-made older freon still made it cost $275. Basically the cost of 3 nights in a cool hotel room. :cool: With temps in the upper 80s yesterday, it was money well-spent.

AND, true to form, the weather has now taken a change. We'll be having moderating temps and dryer weather through the weekend. *sigh* At least we'll save on the electricity costs, only to start using the A/C again by Monday. At least it will work!

We're having our old central ac system replaced and our contractor insists on replacing them (2 sets of units) with ones which use the older r22 freon. I know they're getting phased out but he gave me a list of reasons why the old freon is better and many ac contractors prefer this.
By law, new units with r22 are no longer made but apparently new r22 units without freon are available for sale. According to my contractor, they're called dry units and r22 freon is pumped into the unit upon installation and this is legal.

So many rules and loopholes! :LOL: All we're interested in is limping the system on until we sell the house. Maybe next year. If a New England native buys it, there's a good chance they won't care if they have functioning A/C or not. These people come from tough stock! Me, I like to be comfortable. As Himself will attest, I have a "comfort zone" of about 2 degrees. And don't hand me a glass of iced beverage or an ice cream treat in the summer without expecting me to reach for the blanket. :ROFLMAO:

I'm so tired of being accosted by kids, begging for money for sports teams. They set up right outside the grocery store with their parents. At least the Girl Scouts sell something to earn money. It seems like these kids are being trained as the next generation of handout recipients and not trained that anything worthwhile is worth working for.:mad:

So many rules and loopholes! :LOL: All we're interested in is limping the system on until we sell the house. Maybe next year. If a New England native buys it, there's a good chance they won't care if they have functioning A/C or not. These people come from tough stock! Me, I like to be comfortable. As Himself will attest, I have a "comfort zone" of about 2 degrees. And don't hand me a glass of iced beverage or an ice cream treat in the summer without expecting me to reach for the blanket. :ROFLMAO:

I thank you for the compliment. But you folks from OH have nothing to be ashamed of. You have those winds and snows coming in off the lakes. :angel:

I'm so tired of being accosted by kids, begging for money for sports teams. They set up right outside the grocery store with their parents. At least the Girl Scouts sell something to earn money. It seems like these kids are being trained as the next generation of handout recipients and not trained that anything worthwhile is worth working for.:mad:

The ones that get me are those that stand on the median strip and when the light turns red, they all but throw themselves on top of your car. BTW my granddaughter told me a little secret. The never allow their can to get even half full. They will rattle the can with just a few coins in it so you will feel guilty thinking they are not doing to well and grab all that change you toss in that cup for tolls, etc. :angel:

I had the opportunity to make some sorority group earn their money. They were camped in front of one of our local supermarkets on a cold, January night, trying to raise money, as they do every year, for the 4th of July fireworks display. I told them that I would give them $10, but that they would have to earn it. They eyed me suspiciously, and rightly so. I proceeded to pull my blues harmonica from a pocket and play a little blues riff. You know the one - da daaa da dun, rest, rest, da daaa da dun. I then told them they would have to improvise blues lyrics on the spot to earn the $10 bucks. Of course there were young, universtiy age guys hanging around (where there's one, you always find the other) who loved the plan, and joined with me in getting them to improvise some lyrics. One of the girls, all red faced finally submitted to our request and gave it a valiant effort. Her blues lyrics include subject matter about how cold it was, that they were freezing, and being forced to sing in public. It was a hoot. Everyone was laughing when it was over. That was a good time.

Had DW been there, I never could have gotten away with such behavior. But when I told her about it, she laughed.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I managed to cut a small hunk out of my finger last night while chopping veggies, and the dang thing still hasn't stopped bleeding. In hindsight, I probably should have skipped the baby aspirin this morning. Thankfully I have a good supply of bandaids.

I managed to cut a small hunk out of my finger last night while chopping veggies, and the dang thing still hasn't stopped bleeding. In hindsight, I probably should have skipped the baby aspirin this morning. Thankfully I have a good supply of bandaids.

Super Glue is your friend. I've stopped bleeding more than once with the stuff.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom