"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-30-2012, 03:17 AM   #3651
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Your Summers sound like ours here!

OMG...very hot in Botswana
Our weather here is almost identical to yours. Friend of mine that lives in Sydney says it feels just like here. She forgets sometimes she's not home until someone speaks and the accent reminds her
__________________

__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #3652
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,815
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Claire, there are times when I don't need my cane, but I have learned to take it with me when I am out, specially if there is a lot of walking and/or crowds involved. Often I just have it hang on my wrist by the strap, but more often I actually walk with it just so a) I have my balance and b) so people know why I am walking slowly across the street, or am needing a seat on transit (which I find difficult to take in the first place).

I have come across rude people whether I have my cane with me or not. But the truth is, whether we have a disability or not and carry a cane or not, people have no business being rude like that. To quote the Princess, GRRR...
And if one is feeling snarky enough, one can whack someone with the cane.

I have thought about bringing mine with me when I take the bus, but I'm afraid I might lose it. Most people don't think I look my age (62), so they don't stand up for me unless I ask, and not always if I do. I really don't want to stand up on the bus because I have osteoporosis and I don't want to get knocked down or to fall.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #3653
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Liquid bandage is made for ticks... if you put it on them they back out on their own because they can't breathe...no digging! Vaseline works, too!
When we lived in Tacoma, I was managing some apartments. Some military tenents had gone home to Oregon for a week. My son was down in their apartment when they were unpacking. That night when I went to give him his bath, I saw a tick in his testicles. OMG. I took him to the ER and they kept pouring alcohol over the tick. It backed out and they put it in a spec jar. It was the kind that will give you Rocky Mountain Fever. A killer.

The next day I had Public Health folks at my door from Wash.DC, Wash. State and the city. It seems that there are no ticks in Wash State. How did it get there? It was in the tenants luggage. Jumped on my son's shorts and found a nice warm place.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #3654
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
And if one is feeling snarky enough, one can whack someone with the cane.

I have thought about bringing mine with me when I take the bus, but I'm afraid I might lose it. Most people don't think I look my age (62), so they don't stand up for me unless I ask, and not always if I do. I really don't want to stand up on the bus because I have osteoporosis and I don't want to get knocked down or to fall.
I have to give our transit system some kudos. If an elderly or handicap person gets on the bus, the driver will make someone give up their seat if none is available. Rather than be tossed off the bus, they do it. There are signs on all transit equipment, that the law states certain seats are for the elderly and handicap. They must be surrendered when asked or the need is there. It is the young folks that seem to be oblivious to the situation. Or they can't read.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #3655
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,201
Dang it! My sweet daughter got a great bargain on a pair of shorts I'd like to take on our cruise but they look like they've been painted on me when I put them on. NOT attractive. I either have to lose a few pounds (likely a good idea anyway) or leave the shorts behind. Phooey.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #3656
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 43,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Dang it! My sweet daughter got a great bargain on a pair of shorts I'd like to take on our cruise but they look like they've been painted on me when I put them on. NOT attractive. I either have to lose a few pounds (likely a good idea anyway) or leave the shorts behind. Phooey.

If your daughter is going to continue buying clothes you'd like to wear, you should fatten her up a bit so you can 'borrow' her stuff.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #3657
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If your daughter is going to continue buying clothes you'd like to wear, you should fatten her up a bit so you can 'borrow' her stuff.
It would take a LOT of fattening. She wears a 2 or a 4 and I wear a 14. Ah the joys of youth! I should have mentioned she bought the shorts FOR me. Stupid me eating all that yummy food and making my butt fat. Sheesh.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #3658
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North
Posts: 20,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Dang it! My sweet daughter got a great bargain on a pair of shorts I'd like to take on our cruise but they look like they've been painted on me when I put them on. NOT attractive. I either have to lose a few pounds (likely a good idea anyway) or leave the shorts behind. Phooey.
Did the store have a deal on your size too?
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffeine-free and loving it!
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #3659
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North
Posts: 20,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have to give our transit system some kudos. If an elderly or handicap person gets on the bus, the driver will make someone give up their seat if none is available. Rather than be tossed off the bus, they do it. There are signs on all transit equipment, that the law states certain seats are for the elderly and handicap. They must be surrendered when asked or the need is there. It is the young folks that seem to be oblivious to the situation. Or they can't read.
We have all those signs all over as well, but I find that unless I have my cane, no one will offer a seat. I don't look 54 and I don't think even if I did they would give me a seat. Once I forgot my cane and showed this guy who was in a designated seat my Handypass and he said he could have one of those made up too and went back to texting on his phone. I did get a seat, but not one comfortable for my leg. This was on the rapid transit train where there are no drivers and rarely any staff at all.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffeine-free and loving it!
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #3660
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
We have all those signs all over as well, but I find that unless I have my cane, no one will offer a seat. I don't look 54 and I don't think even if I did they would give me a seat. Once I forgot my cane and showed this guy who was in a designated seat my Handypass and he said he could have one of those made up too and went back to texting on his phone. I did get a seat, but not one comfortable for my leg. This was on the rapid transit train where there are no drivers and rarely any staff at all.
We have cameras on all our equipment. And there is someone in Central Control watching the monitors. They can and do call the driver or conductor of the bus or train and let them know immediately that there is a problem. Also the transit police are everywhere. So they respond really fast to a problem.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.