Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I managed to cut a small hunk out of my finger last night while chopping veggies, and the dang thing still hasn't stopped bleeding. In hindsight, I probably should have skipped the baby aspirin this morning. Thankfully I have a good supply of bandaids.

Ouch! I'm sorry that happened. :(

Cayenne pepper sprinkled on a cut will stop the bleeding almost immediately. It has properties that coagulate the blood. I first heard of this about 15 years ago when I was shucking oysters with friends up in Washington state, and cut my hand on an oyster shell. My friend grabbed the cayenne pepper and told me to sprinkle some on it to stop the bleeding and by golly, it worked. I don't remember it stinging much, other than the cut itself.

Cayenne pepper sprinkled on a cut will stop the bleeding almost immediately. It has properties that coagulate the blood. I first heard of this about 15 years ago when I was shucking oysters with friends up in Washington state, and cut my hand on an oyster shell. My friend grabbed the cayenne pepper and told me to sprinkle some on it to stop the bleeding and by golly, it worked. I don't remember it stinging much, other than the cut itself.

Huh. I'm surprised it didn't sting! Thanks Cheryl!

I think I'm just gonna keep changing bandaids...it's got to stop sometime. It doesn't hurt, just messy.

When I was in my first year of secondary school (aged 11-12) whe had a book to read in English lessons called "Poo Lorn of the Elephants" (never heard of it before or since) about, yes, you've guessed it, elephants. When one of the elephants was injured the mahout put cayenne pepper in the cut which we thought was cruel but in view of what you've just said it sounds as if it was a well-known remedy for cuts.

After thought: Just looked on Amazon - There's a copy at £29!!!! (roughly $45) Crumbs!

Last edited:
When I was in my first year of secondary school (aged 11-12) whe had a book to read in English lessons called "Poo Lorn of the Elephants" (never heard of it before or since) about, yes, you've guessed it, elephants. When one of the elephants was injured the mahout put cayenne pepper in the cut which we thought was cruel but in view of what you've just said it sounds as if it was a well-known remedy for cuts.

After thought: Just looked on Amazon - There's a copy at £29!!!! (roughly $45) Crumbs!

When I was in high school, I read all of the Mandingo series. The slave owners routinely salted and peppered the wounds they had inflicted in the poor slaves from the whippings, just to make it hurt more.

I had the opportunity to make some sorority group earn their money. They were camped in front of one of our local supermarkets on a cold, January night, trying to raise money, as they do every year, for the 4th of July fireworks display. I told them that I would give them $10, but that they would have to earn it. They eyed me suspiciously, and rightly so. I proceeded to pull my blues harmonica from a pocket and play a little blues riff. You know the one - da daaa da dun, rest, rest, da daaa da dun. I then told them they would have to improvise blues lyrics on the spot to earn the $10 bucks. Of course there were young, universtiy age guys hanging around (where there's one, you always find the other) who loved the plan, and joined with me in getting them to improvise some lyrics. One of the girls, all red faced finally submitted to our request and gave it a valiant effort. Her blues lyrics include subject matter about how cold it was, that they were freezing, and being forced to sing in public. It was a hoot. Everyone was laughing when it was over. That was a good time.

Had DW been there, I never could have gotten away with such behavior. But when I told her about it, she laughed.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Did they get the 10 bucks? and did lots of other customers put cash in their bucket?

A fund-raiser that's popular with groups like the scouts and the army cadets (a junior organisation for boys and girls of scouting and guiding age) and similar groups, is to pack groceries at the check outs in supermarkets for donations. Most customers play ball and the kids do well. It's safe as well because as well as their own supervisors there are lots of people around so there's less chance of interference from "nasty men" (use your imagination). Better than street collections where it's more difficult to monitor what's going on and because it's indoors there's no problem with the younger children taking part. (It's illegal for children to take part in even licensed street collections over here and if you have a dog with you while you are selling poppies or any other form of collection you can be arrested for vagrancy!)

Kids do that packing groceries thing here too. I usually ask them not to and just give them some money. I hate finding hard things poking into my bananas, etc.

...A fund-raiser that's popular with groups like the scouts and the army cadets (a junior organisation for boys and girls of scouting and guiding age) and similar groups, is to pack groceries at the check outs in supermarkets for donations...

Oh oh. SO would freak out! She insists on personally directing the placement of almost every item that comes down the conveyor belt from the cashier into bags we bring. Trained packers can't do the job to her satisfaction. I can't imagine her reaction to untrained school children.

She's planning on retiring from her job at the end of August. I think she should get a job as a bagger at the supermarket.

Oh oh. SO would freak out! She insists on personally directing the placement of almost every item that comes down the conveyor belt from the cashier into bags we bring. Trained packers can't do the job to her satisfaction. I can't imagine her reaction to untrained school children.

She's planning on retiring from her job at the end of August. I think she should get a job as a bagger at the supermarket.

She would probably do a better job than the "trained" bagger who put a heavy container of deli turkey on top of my freshly sliced Havarti cheese, making the slices stick together!

Dawg, on one of my many trips to the ER, the nurse didn't like the way the paramedics did the IV in the ambulance. She was going to move it. They use heavy duty tape. It really sticks to the skin. Now my skin is very thin due to the loss of collagen. I told her to be really careful as my skin is very delicate. She then proceeded to rip the tape off and took a hunk of flesh with it. Today I have a hole on top of my hand. It took almost three days to get the bleeding to stop. I ended up finding the heaviest books I had in the house, put a 4x4 on the wound and let the pressure of the books control the bleeding. It took 45 minutes. I just sat there with my arm extended with these books on the back of my hand. Of course that is when I wanted to get up and start doing anything. It just seems that the blood vessels are so close to the surface on the hand.

I have heard of the cayenne pepper before. But I didn't have any in the house. So I had to go with pressure. Good luck. :angel:

Thanks Addie! I haven't peeked, but so far it hasn't soaked the bandaid this time.

She would probably do a better job than the "trained" bagger who put a heavy container of deli turkey on top of my freshly sliced Havarti cheese, making the slices stick together!

Your bagger didn't make a mistake. They are trained to pack that way. Put the gallon of milk in the same bag as the gallon of bleach. Bread and eggs always go at the bottom with all the canned goods on top of it. You get the idea! I should ask Poo about my theory. He bagged when he was a kid for about two weeks. Then he quit. Can't say that I blame him. Middle of a really cold winter and he was the only one the manager would send out to bring in the carriages when the checkouts were slow. Freezing cold out and he had no mittens. His bare hands were touching the freezing metal handles. I finally bought him a pair after he quit.

I am such a thoughtful mother. :angel:

Last edited:
The first treatment for bleeding is to apply pressure to the wound. You can only keep a finger(s) on the wound for so long. I have had success with tightly wrapping a bandaid or two on the wound. I like the fabric band-aids. They stick really well.

The first treatment for bleeding is to apply pressure to the wound. You can only keep a finger(s) on the wound for so long. I have had success with tightly wrapping a bandaid or two on the wound. I like the fabric band-aids. They stick really well.

Yes. The fabric ones have worked best so far. The plastic ones leak.

I am on two blood thinners. So that made it a lot more difficult to stop the bleeding. You should see my arms. I have mark and blue backs (childrenese) all over my two arms. I look like I am the victim of severe domestic abuse. I have to even apply heavy pressure when I get an injection. :angel:

I am on two blood thinners. So that made it a lot more difficult to stop the bleeding. You should see my arms. I have mark and blue backs (childrenese) all over my two arms. I look like I am the victim of severe domestic abuse. I have to even apply heavy pressure when I get an injection. :angel:

I'm on 2 daily baby aspirin, along with the Dutoprol for high blood pressure. A friend almost bled out, he was on Coumadin, and one of his cats scratched him.

My Grandfather used to use a spider web to stop bleeding in small cuts.

He just twirled his cut finger in the web and instant bandage.

He still had ten fingers when he died so I guess it didn't hurt him any! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I rarely have a problem with my bags being bagged incorrectly.

I make it a point to unload my cart so that like items are bagged together, saving the produce and bread for last.

I keep the eggs, bread and produce in the smaller top basket and unload them last so I can keep them separate from all the hard stuff.

As I transfer filled bags back into my cart, I keep an eye on what goes where so my tender items are safe from smashing.

Shrek had a knife cut on his finger that kept opening up, even with super glue. Now that it's stopped (this was a few days ago) I found the butterfly closures I knew I had.:rolleyes:

My Grandfather used to use a spider web to stop bleeding in small cuts.

He just twirled his cut finger in the web and instant bandage.

He still had ten fingers when he died so I guess it didn't hurt him any! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I've heard of that one! :ohmy::)

Shrek had a knife cut on his finger that kept opening up, even with super glue. Now that it's stopped (this was a few days ago) I found the butterfly closures I knew I had.:rolleyes:

Those would be handy to have. I don't understand the super glue fix...doesn't it leave a 'ridge' type thing on the skin...? Or does it get absorbed after a while? Just curious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom