Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any extra super glue wears off. An urban myth has Super Glue as originally a surgical glue for skin. Shrek swears by it. I prefer bandages and pressure.

Like most males on construction jobs, when Spike gets a finger cut, he wraps black electrical tape around his wounded fingers. I cringe when I see that. Sometimes I have threatened to sit on him if he doesn't let me put on a clean sterile dressing. :angel:

Like most males on construction jobs, when Spike gets a finger cut, he wraps black electrical tape around his wounded fingers. I cringe when I see that. Sometimes I have threatened to sit on him if he doesn't let me put on a clean sterile dressing. :angel:

When I was cutting wood for a living, and had seriously burned my right shin, I used to put sterile gauze on it, and then put my leg into a clean bread wrapper to keep the dirt out. Then, painful as it was, I was out in the woods again, either cutting trees, or bucking them into 8 foot lengths, then cutting into 18 inch chunks that I split with an 8 lb mall. Never got an infection, and as I had no insurance at the time, no skin grafts. To this day, if I gently bump that shin, the skin breaks and turns into a sore. It scabs over and heals in a few days.

Funny how 30 seconds of time can change your whole life. If you ever get flammable liquids on your clothing, remove it as soon as possible. Nobody should have to endure the months of pain that I did. Though I haven't delivered a baby from this body, I can't imagine that the pain is any more intense than the pain from that burn, and definitely didn't last as long.

In any case, I brought home the family income. Not working was not an option. I did what I had to do.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When I was living in Hawaii, Poo was with his father for Christmas day. So I went down the street to the Shriners Burn Center for Children and read to the kids that couldn't get out of bed. I have a strong stomach, but not for the courage those kids had, some with 80% burns on their bodies. I had to go into the bathroom and vomit a couple of times. They kept a lot of them sedated most of the time. Specially come dressing changing time. :angel:

Yikes Chief! Those burns sound awful. Good thing you never got infections from them. I guess that bag must have been loose. It's really risky to keep air away from a burn that has even a tiny break in the skin. The risk is an anaerobic infection.

You wrote, "I was out in the woods again, either cutting trees, or bucking them into 8 foot lengths,..." Does that mean you were using a bow saw?

My Grandfather used to use a spider web to stop bleeding in small cuts.

He just twirled his cut finger in the web and instant bandage.

He still had ten fingers when he died so I guess it didn't hurt him any! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
That's a very old traditional carpenter's trick. They sometimes put honey on too as it deters bacteria

Yikes Chief! Those burns sound awful. Good thing you never got infections from them. I guess that bag must have been loose. It's really risky to keep air away from a burn that has even a tiny break in the skin. The risk is an anaerobic infection.

You wrote, "I was out in the woods again, either cutting trees, or bucking them into 8 foot lengths,..." Does that mean you were using a bow saw?

Naw. That's just what the guy I was working with called it. I used a chain saw on that job. I cut and split 10 chords of tamarack fire wood. Years later I tried splitting wood with that same mall. Three or four strokes and I was huffing and puffing, but other than for splitting wood, was still in pretty good shape. The difference, when I did it all day long, for weeks, I was 26 years of age. When I did it years later, I was in my late 40's.

Slitting wood with a mall is not something to be taken lightly. It is both aerobic and body building at the same time. It's no wonder that lumberjacks had such a reputation back before chain saws, and hydraulic wood splitters. It was real work. I used to do it with ease. Now, I don't think I could lift the splitting mall (well, I can still lift and swing it, just not for very long:LOL:),

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm on 2 daily baby aspirin, along with the Dutoprol for high blood pressure. A friend almost bled out, he was on Coumadin, and one of his cats scratched him.

My grandmother was on coumadin for the longest time. She would have to go have her clotting factor checked every month.

And speaking of blood thinners, when mom was in the hospital they were giving her preventative doses of heparin so she wouldn't develop blood clots. Her nurses said there were studies that it helped with all bed-bound patients and not just post-surgical patients.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I saw a skunk in my backyard the other night. It snuffled about and then started to dig. It was trying to get under the patio stone where Shreddy (my recently deceased 18 year old cat) is buried. I found another hole today. I packed both holes with dirt. I'll see if it happens again.

If I do, I'll start peeing in a can and use that as skunk repellent.

I didn't pay attention to how many minutes I was using on my free cell phone. I get 250 minutes each month for free. As a rule I will buy 250 more for just $5.00. I forgot to buy the extra minutes and today when I went to use my phone, I had no minutes left. (STUPID ME!) Since this is my only phone (I got rid of the land line) I need to make sure I always have enough for a 911 call. I know, they can be made even if I don't have any minutes. But I feel a lot better knowing that I have minutes to spare.

So I go to purchase more minutes. I got so lost. They needed my pin number. Since Spike is the one who set it up for me at the beginning, he knew my pin number. I am sure he told me what it was but I forgot. Very simple. My pin number is my date of birth. DUH! :huh: So you all can feel safe tonight. I have the market on STUPIDITY all to myself. Spike set up a folder for me with my pin number and other passwords. Now I won't have to go around scratching my head with my mouth hanging open and drooling. :angel:

I saw a skunk in my backyard the other night. It snuffled about and then started to dig. It was trying to get under the patio stone where Shreddy (my recently deceased 18 year old cat) is buried. I found another hole today. I packed both holes with dirt. I'll see if it happens again.

If I do, I'll start peeing in a can and use that as skunk repellent.

Moth balls will work also. At one house we lived in, a family of skunks set up housekeeping under our front porch. Every time someone went out the front door, they would spray. We tossed some moth balls under the porch and they hastened to find new digs. :angel:

I didn't pay attention to how many minutes I was using on my free cell phone. I get 250 minutes each month for free. As a rule I will buy 250 more for just $5.00. I forgot to buy the extra minutes and today when I went to use my phone, I had no minutes left. (STUPID ME!) Since this is my only phone (I got rid of the land line) I need to make sure I always have enough for a 911 call. I know, they can be made even if I don't have any minutes. But I feel a lot better knowing that I have minutes to spare.

So I go to purchase more minutes. I got so lost. They needed my pin number. Since Spike is the one who set it up for me at the beginning, he knew my pin number. I am sure he told me what it was but I forgot. Very simple. My pin number is my date of birth. DUH! :huh: So you all can feel safe tonight. I have the market on STUPIDITY all to myself. Spike set up a folder for me with my pin number and other passwords. Now I won't have to go around scratching my head with my mouth hanging open and drooling. :angel:
Is that a physical folder or a folder in the directory on your computer?

If it is on your computer, then it is possible for someone to hack into your computer while you are on the internet and get your passwords.

I use Password Safe to store all my passwords. It's encrypted. I only need to remember one strong password - the one that lets me see the passwords and user names in Password Safe. Maybe Spike can install it for you and show you how to use it.

:angel:

Moth balls will work also. At one house we lived in, a family of skunks set up housekeeping under our front porch. Every time someone went out the front door, they would spray. We tossed some moth balls under the porch and they hastened to find new digs. :angel:
Mothballs are carcinogenic. I am not putting them in my yard. I don't spray pesticides or herbicides either.

Is that a physical folder or a folder in the directory on your computer?

If it is on your computer, then it is possible for someone to hack into your computer while you are on the internet and get your passwords.

I use Password Safe to store all my passwords. It's encrypted. I only need to remember one strong password - the one that lets me see the passwords and user names in Password Safe. Maybe Spike can install it for you and show you how to use it.
:angel:

It is on my computer. I will tell him about it tomorrow night when he comes tomorrow night. Thanks for the information and the angel. :angel:

Today there are two new holes and one of the two I filled in has been re-excavated.

I'm starting to save pee. I am also starting to save the hair from my comb. I have read skunks don't like human hair.

Anybody know any other harmless skunk deterrents?

Ironically enough, a peeve of mine is those that always complain and never balance this by noticing something positive, e.g. to be grateful for. There are always those so much worse off than us.

Currently a tenant here is persistently irate by my front garden straying on to the communal path by a few inches. She calls them weeds but they are beautiful wild flowers and not obstructing anything (the path is wide). I find it pathetic that this should matter to her but the bottom line is
really that she dislikes these wild flowers. If that is all she has to worry about her life must be great! I said she could cut them back if this is such a problem to her.
icon_rolleyes.gif

She is normally so pleasant and easy going - it's puzzling. I don't regard these flowers as unsightly. To me, it highlights conditioning. Anything wild she probably sees as weeds and therefore not to be appreciated if you cannot buy it. How sad is that? Hollyhocks grow wild and are delightful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom