"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #3691
Master Chef

I would send a mystery shopper in there to see if a clerk is willing to take the time to check stock on an item. If not, I'll hear about this and let the store manger have it.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #3692
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I don't own any Walmart stock....
Not really the point, but I'm sure you know that.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:32 PM   #3693
Master Chef

When I worked retail we always had more of the items in the stockroom now they don't want to have all that money sitting in the back. They would rather run out of the item and then order.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:40 AM   #3694
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Not really the point, but I'm sure you know that.
I think you know me too well....
Old 12-09-2014, 05:35 AM   #3695
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
When I worked retail we always had more of the items in the stockroom now they don't want to have all that money sitting in the back. They would rather run out of the item and then order.
I agree, we live in a zero inventory world, things are ordered as needed automatically by computer and the backroom is pretty much empty.

Like Clara Pelar said in the Wendy's commercials "I don't think there's anybody back there!"

My local Walmart appears to have plenty of staff. I stopped asking them questions because they never know the answer and that makes me grumpy, why ruin each others day!
Old 12-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #3696
Executive Chef

The new Walmart 5 miles from my home is smaller than the one 12 miles away. They don't carry as many items that the larger store carries, but I don't see many things out of stock. Several times I have asked a stock clerk in grocery where an item is and instead of telling me what aisle it is in they take me over to the aisle and show me.

Our Target doesn't have a clerk in every department for personal service, either. Only in electronics. I think that's the way retail sales is done these days. You are on your own. Even shoe stores are becoming self-serve these days. Only in Macy's do you have to stand and wait for a clerk to get a pair of shoes for you to try. I would rather go in and pull the box out and try them on myself. No waiting around unless there is a line at the check-out.

I know that certain items in WalMart are cheaply made, but if you buy a name brand product, such as Bounty Towels, they are Bounty Towels, same as in any other store. Same with laundry detergent. If I can get it a little cheaper, why not?
Old 12-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #3697
Master Chef

If you want good, old fashioned service go to mom and pop shops. I often get fed up with big box stores due to their lack of knowledge and good customer service. I would rather pay a little more and get that Thank You and a smile when I leave the shop.
Of course, it all depends on what you're looking for.....
Old 12-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #3698
Executive Chef

I agree that the smile and thank you are nice, but that doesn't pay my utilities. I would rather do my own service and pay less. Everyone has different priorities, and no one person is wrong.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #3699
Master Chef

Another reason why I order practically everything on-line these days.......except for groceries, beer, nuts & bolts, and lumber.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #3700
Executive Chef

Most of the time, I only order online if I can't find the item in a store, or if the online price is drastically lower than the store price. I could get really carried away with spending if I got into the habit of ordering online.