"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #3711
Chef Extraordinaire

I have heard it all now.

The students at Harvard want their mid terms delayed because they were out protesting. They didn't have the time to study.

"It was necessary for them to protest unjust civil matters!" according to one student.

Harvard told them to start studying in a hurry. Mid Terms will be taken on scheduled. Good for Harvard.

Oh Mama and Papa are going to be so proud of you kid. Wait until you have to take out the loans in your own name for next year's tuition.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #3712
Master Chef

Addie, Himself and I were just discussing this. The students chose to protest knowing exams were coming up. Choices have consequences. Now that they decided the chose wrong. they want do-overs? Sorry, life doesn't give you do-overs.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #3713
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Addie, Himself and I were just discussing this. The students chose to protest knowing exams were coming up. Choices have consequences. Now that they decided the chose wrong. they want do-overs? Sorry, life doesn't give you do-overs.
The Pirate and I were saying the same thing. What gets the both of us is that these people who are protesting, don't even live in or near the cities where these injustices happened. Save your protests for event that affect you directly in the city where you live. It will have more meaning. All these protests (?) are, are just an excuse to riot and cause mayhem.

I want to be a fly on the wall in one home who has a child that flunked mid terms because he was busy protesting and didn't have time to study. There will be something to protest in that home when the next payment for tuition becomes due and the parents are saying NO! You flunked your mid exams. Go get a job!

BTW, Mid Term Exams started today.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #3714
Master Chef

Don't even start with on those protestors. I almost missed my flight the other day because of some protests. I wonder if they even know what they are protesting. I bet some of them are thee just to make trouble. I bet if the had Togo to work to feed themselves and the family they would not be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 12-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #3715
Sous Chef

I was a student in the 60's and we protested, and we changed the world.
Hooray for the students today who are taking a stand for what they believe in!
Old 12-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #3716
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Don't even start with on those protestors. I almost missed my flight the other day because of some protests. I wonder if they even know what they are protesting. I bet some of them are thee just to make trouble. I bet if the had Togo to work to feed themselves and the family they would not be there.

We had them laying down on tracks, on the entrance to major Federal highways, etc. If one of them had been killed, they would have one more thing to protest about. It is much easier to protest than to study for exams.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #3717
Chef Extraordinaire

We have two CVS's in Eastie. One down in Central Square and the really big one on the road to Winthrop. While The Pirate was out today I asked him to stop in the small CVS and get me a small bag for a present with tissue paper. He went to check out thinking there would be a cashier to take his money. Nope. Not anymore. They have one personal do-it-yourself checkout. The machine was not working properly and a small line was beginning to form. No a soul in site to assist. It wasn't until the manager saw the line that he came to fix the machine. I don't think we will be shopping in that store again. I really enjoy the personal touch of a live person being there.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #3718
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We had them laying down on tracks, on the entrance to major Federal highways, etc. If one of them had been killed, they would have one more thing to protest about. It is much easier to protest than to study for exams.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

- Edmund Burke
Old 12-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #3719
Chef Extraordinaire

Is it just me? I hate it when s/one calls and doesn't leave a message. I only have one phone (that's all I need) and it is not always convenient to answer the phone (in the basement feeding the woodstove, about to get in the shower, outside letting the girls out, in the kitchen busy, just don't feel like talking to anyone right now). I don't have a cell phone (well, I do, but it is a pay-as-you-go and only a couple of people have the # and I don't refill it unless I need it). What is it about "I can't answer your call right now, please leave a message" that is not clear?
Old 12-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #3720
Master Chef

I hate those no message calls. My son on the other hand tells me not to leave a message, as he never checks them. And he can see that I called on his caller ID. Drives me crazy. Oh, and another one I love is when I answer the phone and say hello I here on the end, instead of hello, who is this? Where did they learn to talk on the phone?