Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chief, you sound like my daughter. When she was a young teen she wanted to be a video game tester!

I would like to be one of those secret shoppers who go around and eat in different restaurants to rate the food, service etc.

I went to Winthrop this morning. I am still recuperating from Tuesday. My legs are so sore I can hardly walk, but I decided to go anyway to see what I could accomplish. Very little. I started the day out with an upset stomach. So that put me in a sour mood. They did do my monthly check on my vitals. I have gone from 145 pounds on July 17th down to 132 pounds today. That is a lot of weight loss in a short time. No even a full month. Enough that even I am concerned. I am chalking it up to this cold that wants to hang on. I have no appetite. I am lucky if I can get one small meal a day down. They will start checking my weight each week for now and see how it goes. Exhaustion, a cold that won't go away and bringing up green phlegm, sudden weight loss, nasty mood, upset stomach, etc. ad nauseum. Tomorrow has to be a better day. This can't go on forever. Can it? :angel:

Last edited:
I went to Winthrop this morning. I am still recuperating from Tuesday. My legs are so sore I can hardly walk, but I decided to go anyway to see what I could accomplish. Very little. I started the day out with an upset stomach. So that put me in a sour mood. They did do my monthly check on my vitals. I have gone from 145 pounds on July 17th down to 132 pounds today. That is a lot of weight loss in a short time. No even a full month. Enough that even I am concerned. I am chalking it up to this cold that wants to hang on. I have no appetite. I am lucky if I can get one small meal a day down. They will start checking my weight each week for now and see how it goes. Exhaustion, a cold that won't go away and bringing up green phlegm, sudden weight loss, nasty mood, upset stomach, etc. ad nauseum. Tomorrow has to be a better day. This can't go on forever. Can it? :angel:

Let's not extrapolate time into the future. None of us know enough to be able to do that, short, or long term. If there is an afterlife, then all will eventually be well. If not, then I don't know any answers.:ohmy: I believe that at some future point, all will be well.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Canning and relatives opinions

This just drives me crazy! I have a MIL who I love very much but she refuses to let the point go that canning is expensive in her opinion. Yes, money is an issue with my hubby and me but for most ppl money will always be an issue. I try to buy in seasons and sales. If I can get seconds to can I jump right on it and still she nags. I love canning and I feel it's an art. I feel like when she gets on me about this issue she is minimizing what I do for my husband and me and our families when the canning is given as gifts. My husband has no problems with my caning but since my MIL does the rest of that side of the family will accept it as law and agree with her except my hubby. Does anybody else have this problem with friends or family? Thanks for letting me vent. She really gets me down. :-(

No, but I have other problems with friends and family and what I've learned is not to let their issues be my issues. I don't know what the root of your MIL's problem is, but I can almost guarantee that it's not about canning or money. I think it's more of a control issue.

So I would suggest that you try to internalize the idea that it's about her, not you. When she says something about it, don't be defensive or try to change her mind. Just smile and say "Thanks for your input, but this works for us." :)

Ty for the sage advice. Now to go practice. "Ty for your input, but this is what works for us." :)

IMO she is probably correct that canning is more expensive and I would concede the point.

Continue canning, maybe in spite of her and maybe to spite her, I'm not sure! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Relax, enjoy your canning and enjoy your MIL.

Good luck!

I have added these two quotes because I enjoy them. I have lots of these little thoughts posted above my computer, they help me understand why I'm me!

Mere parsimony is not economy.... Expense, and great expense, may be an essential part in true economy.... Economy is a distributive virtue, and consists, not in saving, but in selection. Parsimony requires no providence, no sagacity, no powers of combination, no comparison, no judgment.
-- Edmund Burke

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."
--Henry David Thoreau

I'm sorry your MIL feels the way she does, but that's what is.

I enjoy canning, too, but because the end result tastes soooo much better that what I can buy commercially.

Case in point...basic tomato sauce. This one ingredient makes its way into so many dishes in my house I can't even begin to enumerate. Over the years I have developed my own recipe for tomato sauce and can it. I couldn't tell you the last time I bought the stuff in the store.

In addition to tasting good, I know exactly what's gone into the sauce and how healthy it is. Can't put a price on that.

Exactly! And I'm a diabetic so cooking from scratch with high quality ingredients is one way I keep my blood sugar in check! ?

It's the MIL. No matter what you do will be wrong. :rolleyes:

Smile and agree as best you can and then do what you want to that you believe is best for you and yours. ;)

Cost shouldn't enter into the picture because of quality and your caring about what you feed those your responsible for.

You're right. That is how I feel. It's just hubby and me bc we've never been blessed with children but since I am the main cook, I feel responsible for feeding us. Besides, homemade tomato soup is way better with home canned tomatoes. ?

It may or may not be cheaper to do your own canning. But, it would cost more to buy the same quality. It's not really reasonable to compare the price without talking about the quality.

If I make soup from scratch, I'm pretty sure it cost more than a packet of ramen.

Eat, sleep, repeat...:angel:

...I enjoy canning, too, but because the end result tastes soooo much better that what I can buy commercially...In addition to tasting good, I know exactly what's gone into the sauce and how healthy it is. Can't put a price on that.
^ What Katie says.^

If you were me (and be glad you aren't :whistling ) you could tell her "I like canning. It keeps me sane. And the cost of canning is far cheaper than the cost of a psychologist or drugs". Then give her a big, cheesy grin! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom