"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #3731
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You say traumatized, I say standing up for injustice....
Protesting is good. Standing up for what you believe is wonderful. Whining that you didn't have time to study because you were out protesting? *sigh* The students knew finals were coming. Choices have consequences, but many in today's Generation Snowflake think someone needs to wave a magic wand to make everything all better when they chose and then that choice ends up biting them. They shouldn't get a do-over. If they end up flunking the test for their class, they just might learn an important lesson about life. And then they can do-over the class material and exam.
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #3732
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Protesting is good. Standing up for what you believe is wonderful. Whining that you didn't have time to study because you were out protesting? *sigh* The students knew finals were coming. Choices have consequences, but many in today's Generation Snowflake think someone needs to wave a magic wand to make everything all better when they chose and then that choice ends up biting them. They shouldn't get a do-over. If they end up flunking the test for their class, they just might learn an important lesson about life. And then they can do-over the class material and exam.
I am with you on this CG. Parents are not paying thousands of dollars to send their kids to a very expensive college so they can learn to protest. And exactly what does their protesting get them? A flunking grade!! Their parents are going to love them for this. If they lived in these cities where these events took place, I might understand a little bit. And now Columbia students are traumatized. Give me a break! Did they witness any of these events? Imagine if any of these students are studying to become doctors. I would love to be there when they are assigned to their own cadavers to dissect. Will anybody find a reason to protest that? Not if they want to graduate. Why not? Because they will have no grounds. All bodies are donated to the medical school by the wishes of the deceased or family. But as my son told me, a lot of them faint when first touching the body. Now there's something they can protest. Students fainting in the cadaver classroom and interrupting their lessons. And that makes as much sense as being traumatized by events they didn't even witness.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:35 PM   #3733
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Protesting is good. Standing up for what you believe is wonderful. Whining that you didn't have time to study because you were out protesting? *sigh* The students knew finals were coming. Choices have consequences, but many in today's Generation Snowflake think someone needs to wave a magic wand to make everything all better when they chose and then that choice ends up biting them. They shouldn't get a do-over. If they end up flunking the test for their class, they just might learn an important lesson about life. And then they can do-over the class material and exam.
I agree that choices have consequences (Generation Snowflake ) and students should be prepared to pay them. I was referring to Addie's cracks about students being "traumatized" by events that happened somewhere other than their immediate vicinity. People are being unjustly abused and killed and I'm proud that college students recognize that and are standing against it.

Btw, just so you know, Addie, students all over the country are doing the same. They're not doing it for themselves but for people who need help.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:44 PM   #3734
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I agree that choices have consequences (Generation Snowflake ) and students should be prepared to pay them. I was referring to Addie's cracks about students being "traumatized" by events that happened somewhere other than their immediate vicinity. People are being unjustly abused and killed and I'm proud that college students recognize that and are standing against it.

Btw, just so you know, Addie, students all over the country are doing the same. They're not doing it for themselves but for people who need help.
And they are all facing mid-terms this week. They are smart enough to study and not whine about having to protest. They are in their classrooms taking their mid-terms. We have students and other protesters tonight that are blocking all traffic on main thoroughfares. And they are stating they won't even move if an ambulance comes along. I hope it isn't a family member of one of those protesters.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #3735
Head Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 1,799
I was truly traumatized by the newsreels from Vietnam as a young women, but I didn't ask to let off from school because of it.
I did my own quiet peace protests, but I didn't say to my job at the time that I couldn't come in because I was horrified by the events of the day.
I was shaken to my core by what I saw on television on September 11, 2001, but I still went to work that day with a very heavy heart and tears running down my cheek.
Sorry guys, I just don't get this.
I'll get off my soap box now
Peace everyone
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #3736
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,308
This has gone beyond Petty Vent and is skating along the edge of rudeness and bashing. May I ask that all parties disengage on this subject?

Thank you.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:49 PM   #3737
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
I was truly traumatized by the newsreels from Vietnam as a young women, but I didn't ask to let off from school because of it.
I did my own quiet peace protests, but I didn't say to my job at the time that I couldn't come in because I was horrified by the events of the day.
I was shaken to my core by what I saw on television on September 11, 2001, but I still went to work that day with a very heavy heart and tears running down my cheek.
Sorry guys, I just don't get this.
I'll get off my soap box now
Peace everyone
It's a generational thing. Today's kids feel entitled. I wouldn't be surprised if the students' parents storm the university demanding a reschedule of the exams.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #3738
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
Bakechef, I understand that sometimes you can be involved in something and can't pick up the phone immediately, but I find it hard to believe that every time I call her she's too busy to answer. Also, I only call her once every couple weeks or so, when I need to know something, never just to chat. I guess my issue with my DIL is that I have seen her do that with her phone when she is sitting having a cup of coffee. One time I was at the hospital, with DH in the ER. Neither she nor my son answered their phone, so I had to tell them on VM that his Dad was in the ER. They responded the next morning.
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #3739
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,347
I can relate to not answering the phone. Personally, I hate the phone. I prefer communicating by email. I can control when I check my email, which emails I answer, which ones I ignore until after work.


When I'm working, I only answer the phone at the end of my work day (rarely do my clients call me). I do screen my calls--so if it were related to work, I would pick up.


One of the reasons I do that is to restrict the interruptions. I am very focused and can lose my train of thought and have to backtrack if I'm interrupted when I am working on a particularly difficult concept to describe or editing s/thing written by a non-native speaker. Sometimes I can't get back to the wording I wanted (but my fingers weren't keeping up with my thoughts). That is very annoying. Especially if I had to do a lot of thinking to unravel what the author was trying to convey or a lot of research / background reading to grasp the bigger picture.


A recent studied showed it takes 23 minutes to get back on track after a 3-5 minute interruption. My most productive hours to work are 6:30 - 3:30/4:00 p.m. If I get interrupted by non-work interruptions, I don't get the amount of work done that I've estimated to be able to do in a day. That hurts my bottom line.


I do, however, always pick up if it is my dad, uncle, or brother.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #3740
Sous Chef
 
Silversage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 863
I think what we do for a living often has a bearing on our preferred form of communication. I HATE email! I HATE being on the phone. And I usually prefer reading pleasant posts than actually replying to them.

I telecommute for work, therefore 100% of my day is spent emailing, teleconferencing, talking on the phone, working on the computer, and collaborating online via via GoToMeeting, etc. My friends and family text me - that's the only thing I respond to after work hours. I let my answering machine screen all phone calls and ignore personal emails. Friends have learned just not to bother emailing me because I'm not going to answer. TEXT ME! It's quick, simple, to the point, and let me go. There are those who refuse to move into the 21st century, and I'm content to leave them behind.

In the evening, I no longer want to stay home and cook - I want to get the h--- out of the house and see live people and talk to them face to face!
__________________

__________________
In our house, dog hair is a condiment!
OMG! I decided to blog!
Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.