"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #3761
Executive Chef

Charlie, I am not a lawyer, but my advice is to quit speeding. I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

Joann, I am glad to hear that you and your family escaped that horrible situation. Just recently there was an accident near here where a guy made a left turn in front of a police car who had his lights and siren on. I don't know why he wasn't aware of the police car. Both the policeman and the other driver were killed. I don't know what the answer is. I realize they have to catch the bad guys, but at what cost?

Old 12-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #3762
Master Chef

Re: central heating and cooling. Trying to convince my wife that simply turning up the thermostat is not going to pump "warmer" air. We have this same argument during the summer also.....the lower the thermostat setting does not equal "cooler" air coming out of the vents. We keep going in circles and argue about this every time outdoor temps hit way below or above average.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #3763
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Re: central heating and cooling. Trying to convince my wife that simply turning up the thermostat is not going to pump "warmer" air. We have this same argument during the summer also.....the lower the thermostat setting does not equal "cooler" air coming out of the vents. We keep going in circles and argue about this every time outdoor temps hit way below or above average.
Mmmm, maybe.

The air coming out of the vents (warm air in the winter and cool air in the summer) is at fairly constant temperatures. However, it will actually be warmer/cooler than the air already in the rooms, resulting in warming or cooling the rooms.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #3764
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Mmmm, maybe.

The air coming out of the vents (warm air in the winter and cool air in the summer) is at fairly constant temperatures. However, it will actually be warmer/cooler than the air already in the rooms, resulting in warming or cooling the rooms.
We have high ceilings and the house does not have efficient insulation.
Yes, the indoor temps will (might in our case) eventually hit or come close to whatever thermostat setting its set at.
But I'm trying to convince my wife that it doesn't matter whether she sets the thermostat at 80 degrees or 120 degrees, the indoor temp will never reach say, 75, when it is 35 outside due to our house not being able to hold/contain the heat. The heating system will stay on continuously, fighting to catch up, to the heat being lost through our windows, skylight, lack of good insulation thru walls, etc...
Old 12-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #3765
Master Chef

Roadfix, just tell her the central heating doesn't work like a stove, it won't run hotter, just longer.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:45 AM   #3766
Executive Chef

Here's my problem with heat. Our thermostat is right across the hall from the bathroom. It's a small bathroom and when you have the door shut, it gets really hot in there. I have a habit of closing the vent. Heat still come through, enough to keep the bathroom warm, but DH says that the furnace will keep running because the heat coming out of the bathroom tells the thermostat that the house is warm. I say that it's sending a false message, because the bathroom air is so much warmer than the rest of the house, the rest of the house stays cooler because of the thermostat shutting off the furnace prematurely. Who is right?
Old 12-31-2014, 11:11 AM   #3767
Certified Pretend Chef

If the heat from the bathroom raises the temperature at the thermostat to the set level, the thermostat will shut off the heat before the rest of the house is warmed. So if the thermostat is in a warmer than average location, the rest of the house will be cooler.

I have a similar problem because we have a town house on three levels. I have to adjust the vents in different rooms to maximize the effect the A/C in the summer and the heat in the winter.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:26 PM   #3768
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We came back home on a plane last night. There were at least 8 people on the flight hacking and coughing like crazy, several directly in front of, next to, and behind us.

Thinking I will bring a few surgical masks next time we fly.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:48 PM   #3769
Master Chef

Yea, often times they mount thermostats at odd locations.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:21 PM   #3770
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We came back home on a plane last night. There were at least 8 people on the flight hacking and coughing like crazy, several directly in front of, next to, and behind us.

Thinking I will bring a few surgical masks next time we fly.
It wasn't me, honest!