"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-31-2014, 09:21 PM   #3771
Executive Chef

We adjust the vents in some rooms, too. Since heat rises, is the third level of your townhouse warmer than the other 2 levels?

Old 12-31-2014, 09:25 PM   #3772
Executive Chef

Dawgluver, when I fly, sometimes the people in front of me recline their seat back so far that they are almost in my lap. I start to cough a bit, and they give me a dirty look and raise their seat.

I hope you don't get sick!

Old 12-31-2014, 10:14 PM   #3773
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Dawgluver, when I fly, sometimes the people in front of me recline their seat back so far that they are almost in my lap. I start to cough a bit, and they give me a dirty look and raise their seat.

I hope you don't get sick!

Carol, that's a very good idea! I had a few folks in my lap as well. Maybe I'll do a few hacks next time.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:44 PM   #3774
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
We adjust the vents in some rooms, too. Since heat rises, is the third level of your townhouse warmer than the other 2 levels?
The bedrooms are on the top level. When we switch from A/C to heat, I close the vents in the bedrooms so they'll be colder and more of the heat stays in the main living area.

When we switch to A/C, I open the BR vents and close the vents in the main living area so more cold air makes it upstairs B4 the thermostat gets cold and shuts off the A/C.

We like our BR colder. Also, we have heated mattress pads for the winter. How nice to crawl into a nice warm bed.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #3775
Master Chef

Quote:
Charlie, I am not a lawyer, but my advice is to quit speeding. I know that's not what you wanted to hear?

Ah, going 45 cannot even be consider speeding. My car doesn't even go slower than that.. These silly speeding limits were implemented when cars could barely go over 30, new cars fly compare to the old ones. They are so much better. It's time to go to "use common sense" speed limits. You are on an empty road, on a clear sunny day, no traffic what so ever. Go 45-50, no problem. You are on a hwy during rush hour, driving in the ice and snow, jumping from lane to lane, trying to pass somebody. Arrest such driver and make him/her showed the roads by hand.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 01-01-2015, 07:51 AM   #3776
Master Chef

Quote:
Here's my problem with heat. Our thermostat is right across the hall from the bathroom. It's a small bathroom and when you have the door shut, it gets really hot in there. I have a habit of closing the vent. Heat still come through, enough to keep the bathroom warm, but DH says that the furnace will keep running because the heat coming out of the bathroom tells the thermostat that the house is warm. I say that it's sending a false message, because the bathroom air is so much warmer than the rest of the house, the rest of the house stays cooler because of the thermostat shutting off the furnace prematurely. Who is right?

You both are right in the end. I do not know why builders put thermostats in this weird places. Our is near kitchen. Go figure.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 01-01-2015, 08:22 AM   #3777
Executive Chef

Andy, the way your manage your vents for heat/cooling makes sense. Our house is one 1 floor, but we also have a basement. We keep the heat vent open in the basement so the pipes don't freeze, but it is still much cooler than the living quarters upstairs. That works great for me because my exercise equipment is in the basement and I like it to be a little cooler when I exercise.

I never knew they made heated mattress pads, but I googled, and saw them. I think I will get one but will only use it to warm up the bed, not keep it on while we're sleeping. No matter how warm it is in the house, the sheets are always so cold when you get in bed, until your body heat warms them up. It would be nice to get in bed and have it already warm. I remember that from years ago when we had a water bed.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:28 AM   #3778
Executive Chef

Charlie, I understand completely what you are saying about the low speed limits, but until something is changed, it is best to follow the signs if you don't want to get a ticket. I am one of the people you don't ever want to get behind on a 2 lane road with "no passing" signs, but DH feels as you do. There is a stretch of Interstate 70 near our area that is 45 MPH. He gets so angry every time we go through there, but I tell him to just do it and shut up about it! LOL
Old 01-01-2015, 08:46 AM   #3779
Chef Extraordinaire

Flannel sheets are always warm when you get into them
Old 01-01-2015, 09:04 AM   #3780
Executive Chef

DH doesn't like flannel sheets for some reason. We've already discussed that option.