"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #3831
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Addie, she didn't have a bad commute. She uses Rt. 128 and 3 North. She got home about a half hour later than usual.
Very good. At least you didn't have one cranky person to deal with. I am glad she made it home safely.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #3832
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 43,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Very good. At least you didn't have one cranky person to deal with. I am glad she made it home safely.

Don't assume too much. She usually come home a little cranky from the day's work and commute. It's gone about to minutes after she walks in the door.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #3833
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Don't assume too much. She usually come home a little cranky from the day's work and commute. It's gone about to minutes after she walks in the door.
I am like that. Ten minutes, I am over whatever had me irritated.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #3834
Sous Chef
 
Chef Maloney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: S.California
Posts: 454
They are just rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
So, let me get this straight, they force their employees to spend money on a gift certificate, as a what, punishment for yule? Do the employees at least get to decide which store they will be be forced to get the gift from or is that decided for them?
It is rude in the extreme isn't it? Actually the gift certificate was difficult to use as a lot of stores would not accept it. It was finally used at wal-mart but with difficulty, holding up the line, and a manager to assist with the transaction.
The amount of the gift certificate was deducted from the following paychecks of each employee. Some Gift! Why not be real 'HOT SHOTS' and give $100.00 then take that back later? Jimminy Geeze!!!
I feel that a company this size should give their employees something more. No respect or appreciation shown here at all. CHEAP EH?
Chef Maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #3835
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,863
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
It's raining. I think that is why the door to the underground garage won't open. The little light on my remote comes on. I took the battery out and tested it. It's fine. I want to go to the store. I can't get my car out. One condo rep is on vacation, the other one isn't home. Sigh
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #3836
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
The heat! It is quite hot here today...I guess being only 6 days till Summer gives it the right
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #3837
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,863
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It's raining. I think that is why the door to the underground garage won't open. The little light on my remote comes on. I took the battery out and tested it. It's fine. I want to go to the store. I can't get my car out. One condo rep is on vacation, the other one isn't home. Sigh
The condo member who used to be our handy man opened the garage door manually. So, I got a chance to buy potatoes and a skirt for the Danish Club Mortens Goose dinner tomorrow night.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #3838
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
The condo member who used to be our handy man opened the garage door manually. So, I got a chance to buy potatoes and a skirt for the Danish Club Mortens Goose dinner tomorrow night.
Wonderful! I'm glad you got to do your shopping. :)
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #3839
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,593
I was cooking a ham but was starting to feel really tired and was worried I'd accidentally fall asleep. I decided to take a nap in the living room so I could hear the timer go off. My husband, who was feeling wide awake, said he'd wake me if anything seemed off or if I slept through the timer. Me sleeping in the living room would keep my husband from getting too engrossed in working on the computer to watch for reasons to wake me. My dad had just finished making a jello dessert and was quietly doing things on his laptop. Napping seemed like the best option.

So here is what happens if you try to nap in the living room while Chief Longwind is around.

First, you state your intention of taking a nap and he doesn't hear it because he's focused on watching "Tullovision" (Jethro Tull online concert station). You just start falling asleep and he starts talking loudly, telling you about how great Jethro Tull is. OK, he was distracted and didn't hear you say you were going to take a nap.

"Dad, I'm trying to take a nap." Very calm and matter-of-fact this time around, giving him the benefit of the doubt.

"Oh, sorry."

You settle back and just start falling asleep and he starts loudly talking about how amazing Jethro Tull's guitarist is to watch.

"Dad. I'm trying to take a nap." This time you're mildly annoyed so say his name with emphasis to make sure you have his attention.

"Oh, well I didn't know that."

"I just told you about ten minutes ago!"

"Oh, I didn't hear you. I'll be quiet."

You take a deep breath, thinking about how if he didn't hear you then maybe he shouldn't have answered the first time so you'd have known to repeat yourself. You glance at the DH who grins and shrugs, then close your eyes and try to imagine a nice, peaceful place.

You just start to fall asleep and bang, crash, clang in the kitchen. DH is still on the couch with you.

"Dad! What are you doing? I'm trying to take a nap!" This time you're distinctly annoyed.

"I was just trying to do some cleanup in the kitchen." His voice sounds slightly wounded, like the little kid that just wants to help but knows he's making the task more difficult.

"How, by strapping metal bowls and pans to the feet of baby elephants and running them through the kitchen?" You think this but don't want to hurt his feelings or seem ungrateful for his effort so you don't say it. "It's late Dad. Thank you for trying to help but you should get some sleep."

"Yeah, I'll stop for tonight. I should get some sleep." He lays down on the chase in the living room and in seconds is out.

You breath a sigh of relief and begin working on falling asleep again. You begin to drift off. Beep beep beep beep.

Grrrr. "Daaad, why is your watch alarm beeping?"

"It's so I wake up to go fishing."

...

You can't even respond to that, in part because he's already asleep again, so you just take a couple of deep breaths, ignore the DH's quiet snickering, and try to fall asleep.

You're drifting, almost at the point of losing awareness of your surroundings. Beep beep beep beep.

"Dad. Your watch again." He shuts it off without even waking up. You don't bother saying anything else. You don't even bother with the deep breaths this time. He's asleep and his alarm shouldn't go off again.

You consider just giving up but your eye-lids are so very heavy. You finally reach sleep. You're just beyond awareness of your surroundings. Ding, ding, ding.

That would be the timer. The other sound is the audible laughter DH can no longer hold in.

You look over at Dad, sleeping so peacfully. "The fact that you make amazing eggrolls is why you won't be murdered in your sleep." You don't bother saying it, he won't hear you and DH will only laugh harder. Besides, you have a ham to take out of the oven so that half an hour from now you can finally go to bed.
__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #3840
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,593
By the way, his eggrolls aren't the only reason we keep him around. He also makes darned good smoked turkeys and roasts. His beef jerky and sweet and sour chicken balls are pretty good too.
__________________

__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.