"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-16-2015, 03:24 AM   #3871
Master Chef

Kayelle, I started the Thankfulness Club thread specifically because of your kind of comment. Sometimes we're thankful for something that isn't necessarily the last thing that made us smile, but we still want to share what makes us thankful. Just letting you know. After all, we could probably all find something to be thankful for without looking too hard, right?

Old 02-16-2015, 11:12 AM   #3872
Executive Chef

There have been times when we bought a printer instead of new cartridges because it was the same price. Right now I have a 3-in-1 that I really like and don't want to replace it. There is a local store that refills cartridges at a good price, but they don't work as well printing pictures, so we use the original HP cartridges. We also turn in our cartridges at Staples. The problem is, you can't use the credit you get on your current purchase, and the only thing we buy from them is the cartridges. By the time we need them again, the credits have expired. It's a good deal for someone who buys there often.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #3873
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Himself has resorted to refilling them himself (not too sloppy, or else he's very neat) and also ordering the replacements by mail. You send them empty ones in a self-mailer, they send full ones back. The company he has used is Printpal :: Discount Printer Ink Cartridges, Toners & DVD SuperStore. If you do "/coupons" at the end of the address you might be able to get an additional 10% off.
IIRC you can't refill HP cartridges as they have a chip in them.

When I was the "stationery monitor" at the utility company I had to order proper HP cartridges for the managers who had HP printers but Canon, Epson and Lexmark printers would accept "look-alike" ones. It annoyed the hell out of me because it fouled up my financial stats.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #3874
Master Chef

My internet was out for 4 days. FOUR. DAYS. They finally fixed whatever the problem was and I got back online this afternoon. I called several times and got the run around....it was to better serve me, they said. It'll be fixed by this evening, they kept saying....sheesh.

Oh well...it's back and I sure missed without it.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #3875
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
IIRC you can't refill HP cartridges as they have a chip in them...
When you've worked in IT for 40 years like Himself did, you know an end-around for every "problem" like that.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:21 PM   #3876
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
My internet was out for 4 days. FOUR. DAYS.
Wondered where you had been! Make sure you call them back and ask for a credit. We were having intermittent issues with ours, we had to keep rebooting our router because they kept changing the code on their modem. We ended up getting $10 credit on our next bill - 1/3 the total of our $30 bill. Call, complain, and good luck!
Old 02-17-2015, 07:12 AM   #3877
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to work from home. I had and still do have a 3 in 1 color printer. What I loved about it was I could fax my work right from my screen. No printing it out first and then feeding it into the fax. Saved a bundle on cartridges. On the rare occasion I did have to print out copies, the company paid for all my supplies. A dream job if ever there was one.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #3878
Master Chef

I don't do pictures, text and solid blacks only, so I've been happy with my monochrome laser printers I've been using over the years.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #3879
Chef Extraordinaire

I had an appointment this morning with my vascular doctor. With all this snow and ice, I do not leave the comfort of my home. I cancelled the appointment. When I called Winthrop to cancel the transportation, the nurse had a fit and yelled at me! "You can't just cancel appointments and not tell us. Only we can cancel appointments." You are never allowed to yell at any patient that is under the care of the Elder Care Service. Reason to be fired.

"Well I am telling you now and yes I can cancel anytime I want. I am in charge of my own life."

She ticked me off big time. She didn't cancel transportation and they were at my door at seven this morning. So I called the Head Nurse. I am afraid Little Nurse Maria is in big trouble. It seems Sharon has had more than one talk with her to listen to me. I am not one of their Alzheimer patients. I am not only feisty and non compliant, but I know what I will do or won't. And I will not leave the comfort of my home in exchange for a broken hip. Sharon agrees with me. I do know how to make sensible decisions.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #3880
Executive Chef

What is this "authentication required" thing that pops up. I haven't been here in a while and even tho I'm logged in it keeps popping up. How do I get rid of it? If I complete it it still comesback.
Thanks.