"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-17-2015, 03:42 PM   #3881
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia View Post
What is this "authentication required" thing that pops up...
licia, you might want to ask that over in the Tech Support Forum:
Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums
You'll probably get a faster answer there. Good luck.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #3882
Chef Extraordinaire

Kudos to you CG. Sending her in the right direction and even giving the lead for where to go. Nice doing. Your good deed for the day!

Old 02-17-2015, 05:52 PM   #3883
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
When you've worked in IT for 40 years like Himself did, you know an end-around for every "problem" like that.
Ah ha!
Old 02-18-2015, 02:06 PM   #3884
Master Chef

Kids. grrrr.... love them. Something going on with my son, 19, of course he is not talking. Called his teacher, he knows something but cannot talk till later on in the day. Now I'm sitting here all nervous.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:23 AM   #3885
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Kids. grrrr.... love them. Something going on with my son, 19, of course he is not talking. Called his teacher, he knows something but cannot talk till later on in the day. Now I'm sitting here all nervous.
19 or 39, it never ends. Of course he is not talking. You're his father. Whatever it is, he is more concerned with pleasing you and not disappointing you.

Charlie, you have a wonderful surprise in store for you. But you will have to wait. It takes time. When a child turns 25 or there about, that child becomes magically your friend more than your child. You should hear the conversations I have with all my kids now. I can now talk about "anything." And I mean ANYTHING! No subjects are off limits. It is nice having four new friends that grew up with you. I was 17 when I had my first child. So in a sense we all grew up together. I watched them go through the same pains I did as a child. And because of that I knew what they were experiencing. So be patient. Someday he will shock you and come to you first.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #3886
Chef Extraordinaire

REALLY? This winter has been, to say the least, challenging. Not the snow--we haven't had a lot, but the frigging COLD. My drains to the bathtub and shower have frozen. Hauling wood in with the "crud" cold/flu has been difficult at best. Last night I got home from the commercial kitchen to discover the sump pump hose was frozen and the basement was flooded. REALLY?!!!? I was exhausted because of this "crud" I haven't been able to shake--all I wanted to do was curl up on the sofa and veg. Then I got a call from my dad--my older brother's house burned down. He lost everything, including his dog. Okay, a flooded basement and frozen sump pump hose are not that bad. Losing everything you own, and your canine companion, when you are 59 is hard. My brother was building his house on a "pay as you go" policy. He didn't have insurance because the interior wasn't finished yet. That was this summer's plan. He does own the land free-and-clear, the well is still there, the driveway, and the septic. But losing his dog was what has him the hardest. And, as he said, he has his family, his health, and a job. I guess I can't complain. My house is still standing. And, the sump pump isn't frozen any more. I just have to finish cleaning the basement.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:12 PM   #3887
Master Chef

CWS, I am so sorry for your brother's loss.

I hope you feel better soon - also sorry to hear of what you're dealing with right now while being sick. This crud has sure made the rounds. Take care.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #3888
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
REALLY? This winter has been, to say the least, challenging. Not the snow--we haven't had a lot, but the frigging COLD. My drains to the bathtub and shower have frozen. Hauling wood in with the "crud" cold/flu has been difficult at best. Last night I got home from the commercial kitchen to discover the sump pump hose was frozen and the basement was flooded. REALLY?!!!? I was exhausted because of this "crud" I haven't been able to shake--all I wanted to do was curl up on the sofa and veg. Then I got a call from my dad--my older brother's house burned down. He lost everything, including his dog. Okay, a flooded basement and frozen sump pump hose are not that bad. Losing everything you own, and your canine companion, when you are 59 is hard. My brother was building his house on a "pay as you go" policy. He didn't have insurance because the interior wasn't finished yet. That was this summer's plan. He does own the land free-and-clear, the well is still there, the driveway, and the septic. But losing his dog was what has him the hardest. And, as he said, he has his family, his health, and a job. I guess I can't complain. My house is still standing. And, the sump pump isn't frozen any more. I just have to finish cleaning the basement.
Sorry to hear all this, CWS. I hope things improve soon.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:18 PM   #3889
Master Chef

CW, that is so sad about your brother's fire. And losing a pet companion is far harder on the heart than mere possessions. Hope he can get back on his feet quickly.

You are one busy lady - that crud likes someone who is too worn down to fight back. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:28 AM   #3890
Executive Chef

I have an old-style Prestige pressure cooker which I tend to use for cooking a ham hock, pulses and soups, etc. The rubber sealing gasket needed replacing so I took myself off to the shop.

Bought a prestige own brand rubber gasket with the same reference number as I've bought before. It doesn't fit - too small so lets out steam all round the edge of the lid and I end up with condensation dripping from the kitchen ceiling.

Went back to the shop and got a replacement. Guess what, it doesn't fit.

Prestige were bought out some years ago by the company that owns the Meyer brand of saucepans, etc. They won't answer letters and phone calls are answered by a girl who puts on an air of half-wittedness as soon as she realises you have a problem.

I don't use my pressure cooker a lot but I still like it for some things as it's quick.