"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #3951
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

I feel for you, Bakechef. I have a really nasty sister who took any opportunity she could to stick it to Mom.

You'll be happy that you helped your mom out, even though it will be a PITA.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:48 PM   #3952
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I feel for you, Bakechef. ...

You'll be happy that you helped your mom out, even though it will be a PITA.
This

Old 03-12-2015, 11:09 PM   #3953
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My siblings are useless...
Which is why I no longer regret being an only child. When my Mom died, we were also going through our move from OH to MA. Himself was already living here when I was trying to settle her estate and sell our house. A bit stressed, I unloaded my troubles on our realtor's associate. She made me feel much better by telling me how her three siblings were beyond no help at all when their Mom died. She said at least all the work might be mine, but at least I didn't have the added stress of dealing with undesirable siblings. True dat! Hopefully, Rob is a good shoulder to lean on. Himself was a tower of strength, supporting me as best as he could from 600 miles away, and home every chance he got.

Now, for some sort of a negotiable deal, I would consider helping your Mom move. I could use a vacation south and I like to drive. Pretty sure Himself would not be interested in a road trip with two women though, so maybe your Mom could ship the furniture and stuff and I'll drive her and her personal possessions south?
Old 03-12-2015, 11:48 PM   #3954
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Thanks all! My mom is already in sc, she's been there since November living with my best friend (who is a saint) who lives in the same neighborhood as where mom is building her house. My best friend has helped her every step of the way and is pretty real estate savvy. She even convinced my mom to get her knee replacement surgery done while the house was being built so that she'd have herself and husband to help if mom needed it! I think that my mom has formed a better bond with her than she's ever had with her own daughter. My best friend is a very special person.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:01 AM   #3955
Master Chef

Thank goodness for your best friend, BC.

I've been lucky as far as family - dad passed in 2000 and mom in 2011 - it's only been my brother and I and things went well as far as dealing with it and settling things. I've been going through some of my mom's boxes of things over the past couple of days, so kind of a coincidence to see your post come up now regarding this subject.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:10 AM   #3956
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

BC, am thinking your mom is probably in her 50's or early 60's? If so, there's a lot of life left there! Treasure her! She's lucky to have such a loving son, and you are lucky to have such a good BFF!
Old 03-13-2015, 01:56 AM   #3957
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Thank goodness for your best friend, BC.

I've been lucky as far as family - dad passed in 2000 and mom in 2011 - it's only been my brother and I and things went well as far as dealing with it and settling things. I've been going through some of my mom's boxes of things over the past couple of days, so kind of a coincidence to see your post come up now regarding this subject.
Wow, I knew my mom was an autograph hound for celebrities back in the day, I just found her autograph book and there's a 13 year old Elizabeth Taylor's autograph and Lucille Ball's from 1945. Fun! I may be up for a while....
Old 03-13-2015, 02:15 AM   #3958
Master Chef

Quote:
BC, am thinking your mom is probably in her 50's or early 60's? If so, there's a lot of life left there! Treasure her! She's lucky to have such a loving son, and you are lucky to have such a good BFF!
+1.
My apologies for taking this off course.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:53 AM   #3959
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've also noticed that facial tissues are shorter.
When did this change take place? I buy Puff Plus and they are the same size as the ones I bought last month. I need to see if MB carries a house brand similar to Puff Plus. Since I blow my nose all the time, I need that extra protection from the Plus of the lotion.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #3960
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
She is a healthy and strong 66 this month. That woman can run circles around me. I'm really grateful that she's very proactive with her health. Trust me, she's a handful! We have a very open dialog, so if she's driving me nuts, I can tell her and vice versa. She's developed the same with my best friend, who's very outspoken.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote