Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Protesting is good. Standing up for what you believe is wonderful. Whining that you didn't have time to study because you were out protesting? *sigh* The students knew finals were coming. Choices have consequences, but many in today's Generation Snowflake think someone needs to wave a magic wand to make everything all better when they chose and then that choice ends up biting them. They shouldn't get a do-over. If they end up flunking the test for their class, they just might learn an important lesson about life. :D And then they can do-over the class material and exam.

I agree that choices have consequences (Generation Snowflake :LOL:) and students should be prepared to pay them. I was referring to Addie's cracks about students being "traumatized" by events that happened somewhere other than their immediate vicinity. People are being unjustly abused and killed and I'm proud that college students recognize that and are standing against it.

Btw, just so you know, Addie, students all over the country are doing the same. They're not doing it for themselves but for people who need help.

Last edited:
I agree that choices have consequences (Generation Snowflake :LOL:) and students should be prepared to pay them. I was referring to Addie's cracks about students being "traumatized" by events that happened somewhere other than their immediate vicinity. People are being unjustly abused and killed and I'm proud that college students recognize that and are standing against it.

Btw, just so you know, Addie, students all over the country are doing the same. They're not doing it for themselves but for people who need help.

And they are all facing mid-terms this week. They are smart enough to study and not whine about having to protest. They are in their classrooms taking their mid-terms. We have students and other protesters tonight that are blocking all traffic on main thoroughfares. And they are stating they won't even move if an ambulance comes along. I hope it isn't a family member of one of those protesters. :angel:

Last edited:
I was truly traumatized by the newsreels from Vietnam as a young women, but I didn't ask to let off from school because of it.
I did my own quiet peace protests, but I didn't say to my job at the time that I couldn't come in because I was horrified by the events of the day.
I was shaken to my core by what I saw on television on September 11, 2001, but I still went to work that day with a very heavy heart and tears running down my cheek.
Sorry guys, I just don't get this.
I'll get off my soap box now
Peace everyone

This has gone beyond Petty Vent and is skating along the edge of rudeness and bashing. May I ask that all parties disengage on this subject?

Thank you.

I was truly traumatized by the newsreels from Vietnam as a young women, but I didn't ask to let off from school because of it.
I did my own quiet peace protests, but I didn't say to my job at the time that I couldn't come in because I was horrified by the events of the day.
I was shaken to my core by what I saw on television on September 11, 2001, but I still went to work that day with a very heavy heart and tears running down my cheek.
Sorry guys, I just don't get this.
I'll get off my soap box now
Peace everyone

It's a generational thing. Today's kids feel entitled. I wouldn't be surprised if the students' parents storm the university demanding a reschedule of the exams.

Bakechef, I understand that sometimes you can be involved in something and can't pick up the phone immediately, but I find it hard to believe that every time I call her she's too busy to answer. Also, I only call her once every couple weeks or so, when I need to know something, never just to chat. I guess my issue with my DIL is that I have seen her do that with her phone when she is sitting having a cup of coffee. One time I was at the hospital, with DH in the ER. Neither she nor my son answered their phone, so I had to tell them on VM that his Dad was in the ER. They responded the next morning.

I can relate to not answering the phone. Personally, I hate the phone. I prefer communicating by email. I can control when I check my email, which emails I answer, which ones I ignore until after work.

When I'm working, I only answer the phone at the end of my work day (rarely do my clients call me). I do screen my calls--so if it were related to work, I would pick up.

One of the reasons I do that is to restrict the interruptions. I am very focused and can lose my train of thought and have to backtrack if I'm interrupted when I am working on a particularly difficult concept to describe or editing s/thing written by a non-native speaker. Sometimes I can't get back to the wording I wanted (but my fingers weren't keeping up with my thoughts). That is very annoying. Especially if I had to do a lot of thinking to unravel what the author was trying to convey or a lot of research / background reading to grasp the bigger picture.

A recent studied showed it takes 23 minutes to get back on track after a 3-5 minute interruption. My most productive hours to work are 6:30 - 3:30/4:00 p.m. If I get interrupted by non-work interruptions, I don't get the amount of work done that I've estimated to be able to do in a day. That hurts my bottom line.

I do, however, always pick up if it is my dad, uncle, or brother.

I think what we do for a living often has a bearing on our preferred form of communication. I HATE email! I HATE being on the phone. And I usually prefer reading pleasant posts than actually replying to them.

I telecommute for work, therefore 100% of my day is spent emailing, teleconferencing, talking on the phone, working on the computer, and collaborating online via via GoToMeeting, etc. My friends and family text me - that's the only thing I respond to after work hours. I let my answering machine screen all phone calls and ignore personal emails. Friends have learned just not to bother emailing me because I'm not going to answer. TEXT ME! It's quick, simple, to the point, and let me go. There are those who refuse to move into the 21st century, and I'm content to leave them behind.

In the evening, I no longer want to stay home and cook - I want to get the h--- out of the house and see live people and talk to them face to face!

I guess I'm different from most. If it rings I answer it. First I check the caller ID. If it's a telemarketer, I hang up. Otherwise, I feel if someone I know is calling me, I owe them the courtesy of a response.

I also read all emails and respond to those that need a response.

I don't text. Almost no one texts me. If I get a text, I respond.

To each his own.

I made slow-cooker apple butter for holiday gifts, and prepared to can it today. I gathered the jars, equipment, etc., got the canner water boiling, and... I can't find the dang canning tongs. I'm so freaking aggravated. I'm sick of Christmas already.

I made slow-cooker apple butter for holiday gifts, and prepared to can it today. I gathered the jars, equipment, etc., got the canner water boiling, and... I can't find the dang canning tongs. I'm so freaking aggravated. I'm sick of Christmas already.

Don't get mad GG,Dahling...Get even!:ROFLMAO:

Do you have an Oven Glove.Ov glove whatever the technical term is for them are today?

Had that happen to me.Once canning.Once having to reach into a hot smoker to retrieve a fallen rack of ribs.Got the glove both times worked great.

I guess I'm different from most. If it rings I answer it. First I check the caller ID. If it's a telemarketer, I hang up. Otherwise, I feel if someone I know is calling me, I owe them the courtesy of a response.

I also read all emails and respond to those that need a response.

I don't text. Almost no one texts me. If I get a text, I respond.

To each his own.

Don't you love caller ID? It's my best friend.
I don't answer unless I know the person calling.If it shows up as VOIP recording(Vote for me types) I press the off button.The phone still rings.I just don't hear it.

Question

I have a 6.5 slow cooker. I also have 18 canning jars (pints) that I have been carrying around from home to home. Can I use my slow cooker for canning? Does it have to be a special S.C.? It is too late this year, but next year I am thinking of making some presents of cranberry sauce. I already have the checkered cloth and straw ties for the lids. :angel:

No, you can't use a slow cooker for canning. You can't be sure it will get to the proper temperature for safe infection control.

Thank you. I wasn't sure. It does come to a boil when on high, but I don't want to take any chances. I will go with what I know best. :angel:

Don't get mad GG,Dahling...Get even!:ROFLMAO:

Do you have an Oven Glove.Ov glove whatever the technical term is for them are today?

Had that happen to me.Once canning.Once having to reach into a hot smoker to retrieve a fallen rack of ribs.Got the glove both times worked great.
Munky, I think the Ove-Glove works that way in only a dry environment. They may have come out with wet-use ones since Himself got me one years ago, but even steam goes through the original one.

Bakechef, I understand that sometimes you can be involved in something and can't pick up the phone immediately, but I find it hard to believe that every time I call her she's too busy to answer. Also, I only call her once every couple weeks or so, when I need to know something, never just to chat. I guess my issue with my DIL is that I have seen her do that with her phone when she is sitting having a cup of coffee. One time I was at the hospital, with DH in the ER. Neither she nor my son answered their phone, so I had to tell them on VM that his Dad was in the ER. They responded the next morning.

I understand what you mean completely, but now that we are in the day and age where your phone (for me it's my only phone) is with you all the time, I've had to pick and choose when to answer. Friends and family know that if it's urgent, to ring me a second time and if I can, I'll answer it, if I can't they'll text and say "call me!"

DH and I just got home from our daughters house, where we spent Christmas day. We almost didn't make it up to their house. We were driving to a busy intersection, we had the green light, we were about '5 seconds' away when a car ran the red light (he must have doing at least 70 to 80 miles an hour)because he was being chased by the police. I told my husband that we have never been that close to death before. When we got to my daughters house and told them what happened there were thankful hugs all around.

DH and I just got home from our daughters house, where we spent Christmas day. We almost didn't make it up to their house. We were driving to a busy intersection, we had the green light, we were about '5 seconds' away when a car ran the red light (he must have doing at least 70 to 80 miles an hour)because he was being chased by the police. I told my husband that we have never been that close to death before. When we got to my daughters house and told them what happened there were thankful hugs all around.

Thank Goodness everyone is all right.

Back
Top Bottom