"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #3991
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I prefer the plastic bags. They are so much easier to carry than paper bags (think canned goods).

I also tie the tops before transporting the groceries. That way I don't end up chasing my groceries around the trunk. I just cut the knots off when I'm putting groceries away and just ball them all up and put in the trash. I don't feel they are strong enough to be used again safely.

When shopping at Sav-a-Lot where bags aren't supplied, I often forget to bring my own bags, but large plastic bags are available at the cash register, and only cost 10¢ each. It only cost me 50¢ or less, and they are strong enough to be reused. I figure paying for the bags is my punishment for not remembering to bring my own bags.
For years I was laughed at in shops for taking my old-fashioned wicker basket to carry home my goods.

I now find that I'm looked on as very up-to-the-minute! How things change.

On the rare occasions that I end up with a plastic carrier bag I don't consign it to landfill on just one use. I used to use them to line the kitchen waste bin but then the manufacturers started perforating them for safety so they were no longer any use as refuse bags. I now collect them and when I have a bagful I take them to the local charity/thrift shop who are always desperate for packaging for customers' purchases.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:10 PM   #3992
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
You can also make "plarn" out of plastic bags and knit or crochet door mats or camping mats. Some people make mats for homeless people to sleep on. Here in Montreal we are asked not to do that. The people who work with the homeless want them to come to the shelters, especially in winter.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:02 AM   #3993
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think ALL outdoor ice should be bright dayglo orange so you can see it and not fall on your ass taking out the trash.

Sounds like the voice of experience! OUCH!
Old 03-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #3994
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Sounds like the voice of experience! OUCH!
Sadly, yes. Thought it's not as bad as the last time I slipped and fell on ice. Then I broke my wrist and tailbone.

This time I just have a pain in the butt. A change from BEING a pain in the butt.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #3995
Executive Chef

Here's a link.

How to Make a Rug from Plastic Grocery Bags

And for those of us who are more creative

18 creative Designs Made out of Plastic Bag – DesignSwan.com

I remember back when they were making the switch from paper to plastic. If you chose paper, they would put a flyer in it telling you have it was killing all the trees to make all those paper bags. My mother-in-law used to tell them she wanted a paper bag inside a plastic bag and they told her no, it was either or. We still get plastic, but the stores have a big recycle bin where you can return the bags to be recycled. We do that. I wonder what they do with them?

I have a couple reusable bags in the trunk for when I remember to take them into Aldi's. DH usually just gets a box. I saw some people with a great idea. They had a couple boxes in the trunk. They would wheel the cart out to the car and put their purchases in the boxes. That way they can separate them as to what goes where. They use the same boxes over and over.

If our stores ever start charging for bags I will start bringing the boxes in the trunk.

How about those bags they are selling now that sit in the cart while you shop.

Also, what ever happened to giving you a scanner when you came into the store and you scanned and bagged as you shopped. Just pay the total at the end. I guess too many people were taking things and not scanning them. Ya think??????
Old 03-17-2015, 11:15 AM   #3996
Chef Extraordinaire

For some reason, Gmail thinks that email from DC is spam. I have fished every single DC email out of the spam folder. I made a filter "never send to spam" and one that marks it important.

Well, it doesn't go to the spam folder anymore. It gets a big orange message telling me that the reason it's not in spam is because of a filter. Would I like to edit the filter?

It refuses to mark the emails "important", so they aren't in the top section of my email with the "important" email. They are in the bottom section. Several times a day I page down to find the DC emails and mark them important. Stirling assures me that they will eventually stop this nonsense and just believe that it really is stuff I want to see. He said it took about three weeks when he had to do that. grrr
Old 03-17-2015, 11:23 AM   #3997
Executive Chef

With AOL mail, I created a filter than sends DC mail to a folder all it's own. Sometimes it fails and puts them in spam, but not often.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #3998
Chef Extraordinaire

I could do that, but then I would have to remember to look in that folder.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #3999
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
You can also make "plarn" out of plastic bags and knit or crochet door mats or camping mats. Some people make mats for homeless people to sleep on. Here in Montreal we are asked not to do that. The people who work with the homeless want them to come to the shelters, especially in winter.
I understand what they are saying. We have a place here called Pine Street Inn. It can be a very dangerous place to stay at night. Shoes are stolen right off your feet, stabbings, etc. And surprisingly so, a lot of street people do not want to go inside. They are afraid. The Salvation Army understands this. The Pine Street Inn folks don't. The SA passes out blankets and hot drinks, Pine Street Inn folks try to talk them inside. And when they aren't successful, they walk on to the next one.

A lot of people in Boston are what are called the waffle people. They sleep on the grates that are over the steam pipes and wake up in the morning with the marking of the waffle like grate on their skin. The majority of them have one or more large plastic bags. They wrap themselves up in them and find a staircase to sleep in in they can't find a waffle grate. Some of them have been on the streets for so long, they simply do not want to change their lives now. Most of the street folks are schizophrenic. Approach them, and they can be dangerous. So if you have anything to make their life a little easier, you just leave it someplace where they can find it. I can't tell you how many time I would drop a half pack of cigarettes when I would see some of them picking up butts from the gutter. A lot of half packs with the matches would suddenly fall out of my pocket.

I used to have a friend that every Sunday morning before they changed the law, we would go over to South Boston. He carried a package of paper cups along with a half gallon of cheap whiskey in his trunk. He would see the ones who were really sick and about to go into the DDT's. He would give them a half cup of whiskey. Just enough to hold them over until the liquor stores opened. Why did he do this? Because he was one of "them" once." He was lucky. He found his way out.

So if folks want to make the mats for them, they should. You don't know everyone's story.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #4000
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I could do that, but then I would have to remember to look in that folder.

I think after you didn't get any emails for a day or so you would suddenly remember that you have a separate folder! LOL It's very nice to have them all together there.