"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #4031
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
It took three tries to disconnect the call. I left a message on the land line about this weird call. My concern is that s/thing is horribly wrong and the call was asking me to go pick up the adopted Saint Bernard they have.
Well, lets hope if there was something wrong they would have called back by now... One time I checked in on a cat I re-homed; I had told the people I would gladly take her back if they had any problems. Just give me a call, and I'll come get her. They told me, "Oh, she pooped and peed all over the floor, so we had to get rid of her." WHAT?? She was the sweetest cat, and always used the box while we had her... Hopefully they found a good home for her that would figure out why she was doing something like that. I was too sick and angry to even ask what "get rid of her" meant. Ugh.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #4032
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Well, lets hope if there was something wrong they would have called back by now... One time I checked in on a cat I re-homed; I had told the people I would gladly take her back if they had any problems. Just give me a call, and I'll come get her. They told me, "Oh, she pooped and peed all over the floor, so we had to get rid of her." WHAT?? She was the sweetest cat, and always used the box while we had her... Hopefully they found a good home for her that would figure out why she was doing something like that. I was too sick and angry to even ask what "get rid of her" meant. Ugh.
You'd think. It is not as if we are not in contact. I take care of this big boy when they go on holidays/when they had to go out-of-town because the gal's sister had cancer and was dieing. They take care of my reject Saint when I have to go to MN. We are in touch. I'm hoping it was a bum call. I've never heard that term before. But at that hour? I recently was in email contact with a gal that adopted a shelter dog from our group years ago...hadn't heard from her for quite awhile. She emailed me to let me know he was still alive, not doing great...right before Christmas, I got the email that he'd had a stroke and they had to say good-bye. Most of the people who have adopted dogs from us stay in touch (that is why I now have an 11-yr old retired puppy mill bitch Saint parked on my couch). I took her back when asked, even though I don't need another dog at this point in my life.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #4033
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
It's "bum dialing" because your bum did the dialing.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #4034
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
If my 4-year-old granddaughter also can't figure out how to shut down Windows 8 OS their new OS is not going to be very popular with users.
Absolutely, if the toddlers can't figure it out, it won't be a success. Why is it I look for a child anytime I can't get my computer to work?
Old 12-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #4035
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It's "bum dialing" because your bum did the dialing.
When TB taught at the local Technical Institute several years ago, often in class his back pocket would call home. I would pick up the phone and hear the muffled sounds of him giving a lecture and had no way of telling him to hang up. It would sometimes go on for an hour! He finally started leaving his phone in his briefcase while teaching and the calls stopped. In those days there weren't a lot of unlimited minutes plans so it really cut into his phone time!
Old 12-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #4036
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
When TB taught at the local Technical Institute several years ago, often in class his back pocket would call home. I would pick up the phone and hear the muffled sounds of him giving a lecture and had no way of telling him to hang up. It would sometimes go on for an hour! He finally started leaving his phone in his briefcase while teaching and the calls stopped. In those days there weren't a lot of unlimited minutes plans so it really cut into his phone time!
That's why I have a code on my phone. That time I bum dialed, I had just made a call and I guess I forgot to switch off the phone.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #4037
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That's why I have a code on my phone. That time I bum dialed, I had just made a call and I guess I forgot to switch off the phone.
His current phone wouldn't do that, though mine does if I don't make sure it is locked before putting it in my purse. But this was an older model and he had our home number on speed dial "A" so it was easy to dial - a little too easy!
Old 12-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #4038
Chef Extraordinaire

What about control+alt+delete? Or reading the manual?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #4039
Executive Chef

DH has one of those phones where he can talk to it and tell it who to dial. Well we were out clearing snow this morning and he kept saying to me "What?" I told him I didn't say anything. Pretty soon he asked me again. This happened 4 times. I walked up to him .. stared him in the eye and said I didn't say anything ...about that time I heard it too. I knew what it was so I told him his pants were talking to him LOL He had his phone in his pants pocket and I guess he hit some button and it kept saying "I didn't understand, please repeat".
Old 12-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #4040
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
DH has one of those phones where he can talk to it and tell it who to dial. Well we were out clearing snow this morning and he kept saying to me "What?" I told him I didn't say anything. Pretty soon he asked me again. This happened 4 times. I walked up to him .. stared him in the eye and said I didn't say anything ...about that time I heard it too. I knew what it was so I told him his pants were talking to him LOL He had his phone in his pants pocket and I guess he hit some button and it kept saying "I didn't understand, please repeat".
I love it.