"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-22-2015, 07:27 AM   #4061
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I just did our taxes two nights ago, I procrastinate every year, I hate doing them. We always get money back, but I still hate it.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:56 PM   #4062
Master Chef

I usually file extensions for filing our taxes simply because I'm so darn lazy. That gives me up to 6 months to file the returns. But this year I've been on the ball and have so far filed one return, and will file our 1040 and State by 4-15. I use TurboTax and I've been using it for several years now.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:13 PM   #4063
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I gave up and went to HR Block after my MIL died and there was those monies to think about and I hate the Social Security rules for Montana, nothing makes sense to someone who still counts on her fingers.

I got snazzy new glasses with my portion of the return and we paid off Shrek's lift chair with his portion.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #4064
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I gave up and went to HR Block after my MIL died and there was those monies to think about and I hate the Social Security rules for Montana, nothing makes sense to someone who still counts on her fingers.

I got snazzy new glasses with my portion of the return and we paid off Shrek's lift chair with his portion.

Why am I picturing a trebuchet!
Old 03-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #4065
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

I hate HR Block. My neighbor upstairs married a woman with five children. One belonged to the husband. HRB told him year after year that he could not claim her children. Even though the father was in prison and not contributing to the expense of the children. I finally read to him from the instruction book exactly who he could claim. I did his taxes that year and put down the children. I also helped him with the IRS in filing for changes on his previous years that HRB told him he couldn't claim the kids. He got a nice refund. And they went after the HRB office that had been dispensing wrong information. Then they had twins so now they had seven kids to claim each year.

When his parents needed around the clock care, he brought them into his home. Eddie was paying for all their needs. Their SS checks went into the parents bank account until their death. Once the funds were cleared by the bank, they helped pay for the funerals along with the $55 SS paid.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #4066
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I worked for H&R Block for about nine years. It's really the luck of the draw. Some tax preparers love doing income tax and take the time to do a good job. Others are looking more at their commission and rush through it. I found that out when I worked in the verification department. I wasn't allowed to reject a tax return because there were obviously missing deductions/credits. It had to be an absolute error. I also got to see the work that some of the tax prepares who made the highest commissions. I was kinda shocked.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:35 PM   #4067
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I worked for H&R Block for about nine years. It's really the luck of the draw. Some tax preparers love doing income tax and take the time to do a good job. Others are looking more at their commission and rush through it. I found that out when I worked in the verification department. I wasn't allowed to reject a tax return because there were obviously missing deductions/credits. It had to be an absolute error. I also got to see the work that some of the tax prepares who made the highest commissions. I was kinda shocked.
And now you know why I try to tell folks to stay away from them. For the elderly and those on welfare or low income, there are plenty of places that will help you with your tax return free. The Bunker Hill CC have their students that are studying finance, go to the public library every Friday and Saturday to help with filing taxes for free. The City of Boston have a slew of folks who will help the elderly and folks who live in the projects for free. There are so many places that help for free. No need to go to HRB.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #4068
Master Chef

I would assume with the tax softwares preparers use these days errors are limited to clients' information they enter into the system
Old 03-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #4069
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I tell people only to go to H&R Block if they have recommendation for a good tax preparer or as a last resort. I also tell a lot of people to see how they like filing online. We have a few sites that let you file online. All of them allow people below certain income thresholds (varies by product) to file for free. It's usually around $18,000 - 20,000 per year of family income.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #4070
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I would assume with the tax softwares preparers use these days errors are limited to clients' information they enter into the system
Not necessarily. Sometimes they will tell the client that they can't claim that deduction. And when the information they give the client is wrong, then wrong information is entered. Every year there are changes in the tax code. You have to read that instruction booklet from front to back completely. It does point out what the changes are. Not all preparers are willing to study the updates and changes. Your best bet is to go to a CPA. Certified Public Accountant. They take a four year intensive course in all aspects of finances. Then another two years of the area they intend to specialize in. It is not an easy course. A lot fail and quit without getting their degree. Going to a CPA may be a bit more expensive, but it is worth it to protect your money.