"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #4091
Executive Chef

I have always done our taxes, as we never had any out-of-the-ordinary deductions. This year I would like to go to the free tax service run by the AARP but from what I've heard, it is always so crowded and there's a long wait. I'm hoping that going toward the end of tax season the crowd will have diminished. If not, then I guess I'll just do it myself.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:00 PM   #4092
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I have always done our taxes, as we never had any out-of-the-ordinary deductions. This year I would like to go to the free tax service run by the AARP but from what I've heard, it is always so crowded and there's a long wait. I'm hoping that going toward the end of tax season the crowd will have diminished. If not, then I guess I'll just do it myself.
It depends on the setup, Carol. In our town, we do a first come first served. My BIL on the East Coast does it by appointments. It would not hurt to check.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:18 PM   #4093
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Spike does taxes for a few couples he knows. One of the couples are both blind and work. Their income has a lot of deductions due to their blindness and expenses related to that. He always manages to get them a really good refund.

Then there is a couple whose van he borrows when his car is up on the rack. He has known them since childhood and was married to the sister of the wife. She is disabled and he works for the city. Then in one year they had three very close relatives die. They paid for all the expenses for the three that the insurance was small and didn't cover. That year was a challenge for Spike. At the first funeral, he wisely told them to start a file for receipts for all funeral expenses.

Sure enough, they got audited. Spike went with them with the thick IRS book in his hands with every page having a post-it note sticking out. They had all of their receipts and when the auditor took a look at them, he knew he was already go to lose. All he did was to make copies of all their receipts and told them they could leave. Haven't heard from them since.

He also does his sons. That one has taken weeks to finish. He is in construction, and when one job is done, the union sends him on another job. So he can have several W-2's. This year there is one company he worked for and never received a W-2. He notified IRS. Still waiting to hear from them. He did receive a letter from IRS that they are looking into the company and the problem. All his son could find was one pay stub. So Spike filed with that and a copy of the letters to and from IRS. For 2015, his son has been on the same job and will be until 2020. Yea! Every night I lose control of my computer. Spike has it doing taxes. April 15th is my favorite night of the year.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:41 PM   #4094
Chef Extraordinaire

I had a horrible night last night. Neuropathy in both legs. Never in my feet. I spent four hours just standing and walking after taking four gabapentin in a period of four hours. It was the second dose that finally stopped the pain. I see myself back in my wheelchair in another year or so. Now I am fine and able to do some housework that need doing.

My mental state is not so great today either. I need to have The Pirate come and stay for a day or two to help me. Time for me to get busy and get myself out of this funk. It is so not like me.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #4095
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
(((Hugs Addie)))

I broke my toe five weeks ago. It should be nearly healed by now, but it isn't. I wonder if it's the Sodium Risidronate (Actonel) that I take for osteoporosis. It "slows bone remodelling".
Old 03-26-2015, 02:10 PM   #4096
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
(((Hugs Addie)))

I broke my toe five weeks ago. It should be nearly healed by now, but it isn't. I wonder if it's the Sodium Risidronate (Actonel) that I take for osteoporosis. It "slows bone remodelling".
Thanks for the hugs. I need them today. Any chance of reducing the dosage so the toe will heal faster? Even a major bone like the ulna or femur usually is healed in five to six weeks. As long as there are no complications like a compound fracture. The toe bone is so small, you would think it would heal faster. (((Hugs))) back attcha. I broke one of the really thin bones on the outside of my foot. It was healed in four weeks. I took the cast off myself in week five. Of course that was during my "I know it all. So don't tell me." days. I hope it gets the message and heals more quickly for you.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:01 PM   #4097
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh boy! I am on the warpath today. Winthrop is trying to get everyone who has a computer at home and are computer savvy to use their new feature "My Chart."

I can use it to make an appointment, order refills, etc. So they send me a list of upcoming appointments. At 6:00 am. Do they really think I am going to go there at that hour? And they are set for just three minutes apart. Five of them are for blood work and they are allowing only three minutes. It takes them at least five minutes just to find a vein.

So I do have an appointment tomorrow that I have known about for six months. I have printed out this stupid appointment list. Including their questionnaire. The same one for every appointment. The last question wants to know if I have been to South Africa and near anyone with Ebola. If they send one more, I am going to give them the answer they never expected. I will be making plans to go there two days ahead and leave for Sierra Leone. Then I will tell them I will be back in time for my appointment. I will start checking off "Yes" on their questionnaire.

Six times they have sent the same notice for this appointment. They must think I am really stupid and won't keep the appointment. I want out of this "My Chart" program. Oooh, I can't wait for tomorrow!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #4098
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Thanks for the hugs. I need them today. Any chance of reducing the dosage so the toe will heal faster? Even a major bone like the ulna or femur usually is healed in five to six weeks. As long as there are no complications like a compound fracture. The toe bone is so small, you would think it would heal faster. (((Hugs))) back attcha. I broke one of the really thin bones on the outside of my foot. It was healed in four weeks. I took the cast off myself in week five. Of course that was during my "I know it all. So don't tell me." days. I hope it gets the message and heals more quickly for you.
Thanks for the hugs Addie.

It would be hard to cut down the dosage. I take one pill, once a week. I am going to phone my doctor. I'm just trying to get the energy to deal with the receptionist and possibly the answering machine. I don't even know if the medication is the problem. Yeah, every other time I have broken bones they have healed in six weeks or less, but I'm not getting any younger.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #4099
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
It depends on the setup, Carol. In our town, we do a first come first served. My BIL on the East Coast does it by appointments. It would not hurt to check.

My BIL went to the one in our area, and he's the one who told me that it's first come first served and he went a couple times and the line was so long he left. Finally he went before they open and was 5th in line. As long as I get there before Apr 15. I have a feeling that now might be a good time to go because there might be a lot of people waiting until the last minute. Some people are in a hurry to get their money back. I know the sooner I get it, the sooner it will be spent.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #4100
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

I washed my swimsuits in the machine, in cold water on delicate. My favorite black and white suit came out with orange sunscreen stains on the straps and back. I've seen the orange stains before, on tshirt swimsuit coverups. So I did what I thought would be most effective, I soaked the swimsuit in Oxyclean. Very bad idea. Now it's oranger than ever.

After checking with my friend, Google, I found out the sunscreen ingredient reacts with Oxyclean, and along with our lovely hard well water, which helps set the stains, makes everything worse. Grrrrrrr.

It's now soaking in Dawn dish detergent. I have a feeling it's not salvagable. And I'm not happy, it was a style I really liked, and expensive to boot.