"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #4101
Executive Chef

what do you mean, "allow" (the dog to surf the counter tops)? i've had a number of lovable pets, but they were, without exception, smart, devious, and totally without a conscience as to their (mis)behavior. my pets didn't pass up many opportunities, when i was absent, to do precisely those things that were strictly forbidden when i was there. just like it is not possible to "childproof" your home to absolutely ensure your child's safety, i believe a pet owner cannot effectively train a pet to refrain from forbidden behavior in unsupervised situations.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #4102
Hospitality Queen

Ever had a Grrrrrrr moment, when you just want to growl at a situation? Yep. That's where I am. My weekend's plans may all be messed up because of one thing, which has nothing to do with me.

Anyone else having a grrrrr moment?

Old 01-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #4103
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
what do you mean, "allow" (the dog to surf the counter tops)? i've had a number of lovable pets, but they were, without exception, smart, devious, and totally without a conscience as to their (mis)behavior. my pets didn't pass up many opportunities, when i was absent, to do precisely those things that were strictly forbidden when i was there. just like it is not possible to "childproof" your home to absolutely ensure your child's safety, i believe a pet owner cannot effectively train a pet to refrain from forbidden behavior in unsupervised situations.
That's what I was thinking. My cat isn't allowed on the counter, but I can't be sure he doesn't get on them when I'm not home. It's also why I clean the counters and stove before I start cooking.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #4104
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
If you have to leave the home, and you know your animal has a bad behavior problem in your absence, then you make sure that that room is not accessible in your absence.

I get upset with Spike when I see him correct bad behavior from Teddy. I know it is necessary. As Spike says, he will always let Teddy know that he is not the alpha in their relationship. Spike is.

Teddy knows I am the one that will spoil him. So when Spike leaves him here even for a short time, he pushes the envelope. But I am learning. He is much more enjoyable when he is behaving. He will always be allowed to jump up on my bed for his scratches. Just like at home. But he is not allowed to drag his food all over the house and hide it. The dish stays where I put it.

He has some behavior that is pure instinct. Barking when anyone out in the hall gets too close to my door. He does the same thing at home. Protecting his territory and family. He thinks he is a German Shepherd. Unfortunately we have to stop him after a couple of barks. I don't want to stifle that instinct, yet I have to be mindful of my neighbors. No matter what he does wrong, I just love him to death.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #4105
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If you have to leave the home, and you know your animal has a bad behavior problem in your absence, then you make sure that that room is not accessible in your absence...
Sounds right.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #4106
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If you have to leave the home, and you know your animal has a bad behavior problem in your absence, then you make sure that that room is not accessible in your absence.
I don't know that Shreddy gets on the counters in the kitchen. I have two archways into the kitchen, no doors. If I lock him in the bedroom or the basement, I know he will poop or pee where he shouldn't. It's just simpler to wash counters before cooking.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #4107
Master Chef

my Mom says, 'i'm deleting you.'
i said, 'Mom, you spend too much time at your office.'
Old 01-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #4108
Chef Extraordinaire

That is funny Luvs
Old 01-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #4109
Master Chef

Thank you
Old 01-07-2013, 12:24 AM   #4110
Chef Extraordinaire