"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-09-2015, 12:23 PM   #4121
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Another vote for FireFox from me.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #4122
Master Chef

I like both FireFox and Chrome browsers. Currently using Chrome on my PC's.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #4123
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Do you still have to install Chrome in administrator mode for it to be available to other users? I had a real battle with Chrome about that on a previous computer. No one warned me that I had to do it that way and then it wouldn't let me install it for other users.

I do like Chrome.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #4124
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I am having endless problems with Internet Explorer and a couple of months ago I suddenly lost Flash Player and it won't re-install. I wasn't advised that it was time for an update before the disappearance and I didn't do anything to chase it away - it just wasn't there anymore. When I go through the motions to re-install it says it has installed successfully but when I come to try and use it I get a message telling me I need to load it. I'm not sure whether the IE problems and the Flash Player installation problems are connected.

I'm wondering whether, if I uninstall Internet Explorer and load Firefox, it will solve my Flash Player problems? I had to install Firefox to order a magazine subscription recently because the subscription company required it but I de-installed it afterwards (this didn't cause the Flash problem. I had it before the Firefox installation/de-installation).

Any opinions on Firefox generally and my problem in particular? I'm on Windows 7, 64bit.
I like Firefox and Chrome. If you use Firefox, you'll need to manually install the flash plugin, it's pretty easy. If you install Chrome, Flash will be built in and ready to use.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:41 PM   #4125
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I love Firefox! I won't use anything else.

As for Flash Player, completely uninstall from your control panel, re-download and reinstall, see if that works. Remember to restart your computer after uninstalling and after you reinstall.
Thanks PF but I've done that - repeatedly! I've tried everything suggested on several help forums including the adobe one and it'd getting me nowhere. I know Windows 7 is getting close to out of date but it shouldn't be causing problems yet.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:00 PM   #4126
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Same here. I used FireFox for quite a while, then Himself added Chrome to the laptop. I switched, and have stayed with Chrome ever since.

What I especially like Chrome for is because Google keeps track of everything, like all my bookmarks. When our older laptop died on me about a month before vacation, I panicked. After all, links to ALL the places I was interesting in seeing were gone! Um, no, they weren't. Himself started up the smaller notebook, had me log in to my Chrome account...and *poof*, like magic, my entire, intact bookmark bar was showing at the top of the browser window just like it was supposed to. Happiness ensued, and I've been using Chrome exclusively ever since.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #4127
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't like the way Chrome saves passwords. It saves them so anyone can see them. FireFox has a master password that you have to enter to see your passwords.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:29 AM   #4128
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Speaking of Google keeping track of everything, lately I've been getting a lot of Google based ads. They are difficult to add to AdBlock Plus. They usually are random, unless I go looking for something.

Lately, i've needed to find a replacement personal shopping cart. The ads now are almost all about personal shopping carts. I hope AdBlock gets better at removing these unwanted ads. Sometimes I can get rid of the message, but it often leaves a frame, that nothing will remove. Grrrrr.

Is there a way to stop Google from using my history to flood me with ads?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:16 AM   #4129
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Speaking of Google keeping track of everything, lately I've been getting a lot of Google based ads. They are difficult to add to AdBlock Plus. They usually are random, unless I go looking for something.

Lately, i've needed to find a replacement personal shopping cart. The ads now are almost all about personal shopping carts. I hope AdBlock gets better at removing these unwanted ads. Sometimes I can get rid of the message, but it often leaves a frame, that nothing will remove. Grrrrr.

Is there a way to stop Google from using my history to flood me with ads?
I know what you mean Z. If I mention the word bowls, ads about bowls will show up for days to come. Grrrr!
Old 04-10-2015, 08:40 AM   #4130
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Until this latest barrage by Google, I had spent a couple of years without any ads at all.

I once had a similar problem with a TV guide site. I kept adding filters every time I saw an ad until finally I didn't see any at all. I'm hoping that will happen here.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote