Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are low income, filing on line is the only way to go. IRS now has a Spanish version for those whose English is not quite ready for it. Even IRS has folks available to give you free help. In English or any other language. You can sit down with a human. :angel:
Not in all cases. Often it is better to get someone knowledgeable to do it through a free program. Some of the deductions/credits take a lot of reading to understand and are still clear as mud.

For example, Quebec has a refundable credit for seniors 70 or older. It's called "Tax Credit for Home-Support Services for Seniors". It allows seniors to get back a percentage of rent, grocery delivery fees, cleaning, gardening, and some other stuff. Most people don't even know this credit exists and if they do, they don't know all the stuff they can get a credit for. The form is a nightmare and not the least bit easy to fill in, even in software.

I recommend that anyone who does their own taxes, bring them to a good professional once every few years. The pro may well find a bigger refund. Then you can use the new knowledge to ask for amendments to previous years' returns and to use in future years.

I use H&R Block, the same person for the past several years. I trust him and he takes care of us brilliantly. While he was not recommended to me, I did take care of his Mother when she died. I am happy to give him my business.

I use H&R Block, the same person for the past several years. I trust him and he takes care of us brilliantly. While he was not recommended to me, I did take care of his Mother when she died. I am happy to give him my business.
You got lucky in the luck-of-the-draw. I think you are wise to keep going back to this tax preparer.

Her advice is right on spot. But remember she works on Canadian Taxes. The rules may differ from our. And they certainly have a lot more deductions for the elderly than we do. :angel:
That credit is actually only for Quebec. The QC government figured out that it was cheaper to help the elderly stay in their own homes than to put them in a retirement home.

My cousin went to HR last year, had to pay in several thousand. He knew it was wrong. Went to some private accountant and actually even got couple of hundred coming back to him.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

My cousin went to HR last year, had to pay in several thousand. He knew it was wrong. Went to some private accountant and actually even got couple of hundred coming back to him.

Between TaxLady and myself have had to say, you can see why I am so against HRB. They are more interested in their own bottom line, than yours.

Your cousin can have a licensed accountant familiar with our tax laws, file an corrected amended tax form and get back those thousands of dollars. :angel:

He should complain to H&R Block.

It can go the other way too. A lot of accountants don't like to do income tax, but feel that they should do them.

While I was working for H&R Block, I did the same for a few clients who had their taxes done by Certified Accountants. And yes, I prepared requests for adjustments for previous years, when appropriate.

The enthusiasm and knowledge of the individual preparing the tax returns is important.

Have to buy a new garage door. Ouch!!

I use to work for an overhead door company. One day we got a call from one of the fire houses that they couldn't get the door up. Everyone was out on a job, so my boss sent me up to get it open. A firehouse full of big strong men and not one knew to yank on the pull to release the motor. Then I discovered why the door wouldn't open. One of the bolts on the hinge was loose and the panel was crooked. So I had them get me a large wrench and I tightened it. Door worked fine. They asked me not to tell their Captain.

When I told my boss about it, he told me to charge them an extra $25 and when it came in from the city, that $25 was mine! :angel:

I use to work for an overhead door company. One day we got a call from one of the fire houses that they couldn't get the door up. Everyone was out on a job, so my boss sent me up to get it open. A firehouse full of big strong men and not one knew to yank on the pull to release the motor. Then I discovered why the door wouldn't open. One of the bolts on the hinge was loose and the panel was crooked. So I had them get me a large wrench and I tightened it. Door worked fine. They asked me not to tell their Captain.

When I told my boss about it, he told me to charge them an extra $25 and when it came in from the city, that $25 was mine! :angel:
Three cheers for that boss.

Went to the doctors for an annual review of my prescription (nothing drastic - just Lansoprazole for GERD). Got into trouble with the doctor.

Last week I'd been to Book Group which is held in a room at the local pub. I got myself a drink and went upstairs and on entering the room tripped over a crease in the carpet. I had my arms and hands full of book, study notes, knitting bag, coat, handbag, bottle and glass (non-alcoholic apple and mango juice 'cos I was driving - Honest, guv'nor!) so I fell flat on my face! Pride more hurt than anything else but gave my bad hip a nasty wrench.

When I saw the doctor I let slip that I'd been taking an NSAID (Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drug) pain-killer for a few days as paracetamol (acetaminophen) doesn't work for me and anyway is dangerous in itself. Did I get it in the neck!! Shouldn't take NSAIDs when you have GERD. Yes, I know. However, since they often prescribe Lansoprazole in tandem with long-term prescribed NSAIDs in order to protect the stomach, and I am very sensible about self-medicating, I was a bit peeved to put it mildly.

Don't like this Doctor (he's rude and patronising and talks down to patients) and usually insist on seeing another one in the practice but I needed my prescription and he was the only one available.

My lovely doctor, who I'd been with for 30-odd years and who treated me like a grown-up, retired a couple of years ago and I'd moved house so had to change practices. Only seen this new chap twice in two years and I have nearly gone for his jugular both times.

The first time I saw him he informed me that I was at a very "dangerous" age (I was 64 and "disgustingly healthy" - quote from my old doctor) and I would die if I got the 'flu so I MUST have a 'flu jab INSTANTLY (I never get 'flu but went along with the jab just to be obliging). Then he said that, due to my "dangerous" age, I would die if I didn't have the pneumonia jab at once (I didn't bother). He rounded it off by telling me that if I had surgery on my foot for an injury that interferes with my wearing shoes (I live in rubber wellingtons at the stables and sheepskin Ugg boots elsewhere even in summer), the general anaesthetic could kill me. Durr! Does he think I'm a complete idiot? They do orthopaedic surgery on feet and hips under epidurals these days rather than general anaesthetics! Doctors should look at the person, not the colour of their hair or the numbers on their birth certificate.

I suspect that the NHS pays the practices for persuading us to take 'flu and pneumonia jabs because that saves money in the long run but the surgery on my foot would be charged to the practice. (The NHS has a very strange accounting system. Treatment is free to the patient at point of service but some arcane system charges it to the doctor's practice, which pays for it out of the money the NHS pays them for running the practice. Don't try to understand this - I don't think anyone does.)

(Incidentally, the Book Group choice for the month was "Jonathon Livingstone Seagull" - now there's a blast from the past!)

Last edited:
Jeez, what a harpering idiot (Harper is our PM. I really hate what he is doing, so I use his name as a swear word.) (((Hugs))) and hoping you get all sensible doctors in the future.

Jeez, what a harpering idiot (Harper is our PM. I really hate what he is doing, so I use his name as a swear word.) (((Hugs))) and hoping you get all sensible doctors in the future.
Fortunately, as I said I'm disgustingly healthy and don't take prisoners but if I was a little old lady with health problems who couldn't stand up for herself it would be horrid.

He's the senior partner in the practice so there is no-one to complain to. He has a reputation all over the village for having a bad attitude. The only alternative is the other practice in the village but they are up to numbers and can't take anymore patients at the moment. I wonder why......

Last edited:
I have always done our taxes, as we never had any out-of-the-ordinary deductions. This year I would like to go to the free tax service run by the AARP but from what I've heard, it is always so crowded and there's a long wait. I'm hoping that going toward the end of tax season the crowd will have diminished. If not, then I guess I'll just do it myself.

I have always done our taxes, as we never had any out-of-the-ordinary deductions. This year I would like to go to the free tax service run by the AARP but from what I've heard, it is always so crowded and there's a long wait. I'm hoping that going toward the end of tax season the crowd will have diminished. If not, then I guess I'll just do it myself.
It depends on the setup, Carol. In our town, we do a first come first served. My BIL on the East Coast does it by appointments. It would not hurt to check.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom