"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #4141
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

I like Taxact Deluxe online. They import the previous year's info, and you can get any form, which is good as I have a bunch of unusual investment stuff. The only issue I had with it this year was that I did it on the iPad, and it was a bit glitchy. Sometimes the "continue" button wouldn't continue, so I had to back out, go to my emails or another site, then go back to where I had been. Annoying, but not a deal breaker. It costs $22 to file both federal and state. There's also a free version.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:22 PM   #4142
Chef Extraordinaire

Carol, over 65 is probably the easiest one to do. As long as they don't have a large bank account that collects large interest, you will do fine. And if their income is under $35,000 a year, there is nothing for them to claim. The usual ones for over 65, are you blind, etc. are simple enough to answer. What most of them do not realize is that when you turn 65, and your income is under $35,000 and you have no deductions, then you don't have to file.

I am just one step up from being The Family Idiot and even I can do them for the elderly. And don't forget they will train you and there is always someone there to ask for help. So relax. You will have fun and meet and make new friends.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:49 PM   #4143
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
PF, I don't recall what site I was trying to use the last time I tried to do taxes online last year. It said it was free, but when I got to the end it said I owed $19.95. This time I was going to use Turbo Tax Free Site but then decided to go to the AARP to have them do it. They are trying to recruit me to take the tax course they offer and become a volunteer. I'm considering that, but have until next year to decide.
That's okay, I was just going to go look at it and give you some step by step directions if you still wanted to do it online. Now I'll have time to go outside and look for tornadoes.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #4144
Senior Cook

Tax advice

As I stated before, I am a volunteer helping prepare taxes under an IRS AARP program for which I had to take classes.
I do not know where anyone got that $35,000 number, but it is incorrect.
Here is the data directly from the United States Internal Revenue Service(IRS). Please disregard any other sources
You have to file a return if your income other than from Social Security is as follows:
Single
Under 65-$10,500
Over 65-$11,700
Married filing jointly
Both Under 65-$20,300
One under 65-$21,500
Both over 65-$22,700
Old 04-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #4145
Executive Chef

The gentleman who did our taxes said his daughter bought Turbo Tax to do her taxes and he was also doing them on his program to see if he came up with the same number. Turbo Tax found a big item that he missed. I don't remember the details, but it had something to do with her education expenses. She went over the amount allowed for educational expenses, but Turbo Tax listed the difference as something else and she was able to deduct it.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:34 PM   #4146
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I use firefox with adblock plus, Taxy. The ads show up in the space between the line near the top starting with User CP and before the Post Reply button.

This started about a month or two ago and is very annoying. It seems to me that I remember that there was a place where I could tell Google they weren't allowed to use my information. I can't think where to look. Any help would be really great!!
Okay, I've been thinking about this. I don't get that and I use FF. I thought I was using Adblock Plus, but I checked my addons and I'm using:
Updated Ad Blocker for Firefox 11+ 0.7.7
Old 04-11-2015, 09:46 PM   #4147
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
As I stated before, I am a volunteer helping prepare taxes under an IRS AARP program for which I had to take classes.
I do not know where anyone got that $35,000 number, but it is incorrect.
Here is the data directly from the United States Internal Revenue Service(IRS). Please disregard any other sources
You have to file a return if your income other than from Social Security is as follows:
Single
Under 65-$10,500
Over 65-$11,700
Married filing jointly
Both Under 65-$20,300
One under 65-$21,500
Both over 65-$22,700
Thank you for this info. Copied.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:09 PM   #4148
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Okay, I've been thinking about this. I don't get that and I use FF. I thought I was using Adblock Plus, but I checked my addons and I'm using:
Updated Ad Blocker for Firefox 11+ 0.7.7
Just checked mine, I have the same updated program, Tax.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:45 AM   #4149
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks, Taxy! I downloaded it and hope it gives me some relief from this latest barrage of ads.

I didn't know or hear about it before.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #4150
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Thanks, Taxy! I downloaded it and hope it gives me some relief from this latest barrage of ads.

I didn't know or hear about it before.
I didn't notice it was different until Taxy mentioned it, must have picked it when doing a FF update.