Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have always done our taxes, as we never had any out-of-the-ordinary deductions. This year I would like to go to the free tax service run by the AARP but from what I've heard, it is always so crowded and there's a long wait. I'm hoping that going toward the end of tax season the crowd will have diminished. If not, then I guess I'll just do it myself.

Spike does taxes for a few couples he knows. One of the couples are both blind and work. Their income has a lot of deductions due to their blindness and expenses related to that. He always manages to get them a really good refund.

Then there is a couple whose van he borrows when his car is up on the rack. He has known them since childhood and was married to the sister of the wife. She is disabled and he works for the city. Then in one year they had three very close relatives die. They paid for all the expenses for the three that the insurance was small and didn't cover. That year was a challenge for Spike. At the first funeral, he wisely told them to start a file for receipts for all funeral expenses.

Sure enough, they got audited. Spike went with them with the thick IRS book in his hands with every page having a post-it note sticking out. They had all of their receipts and when the auditor took a look at them, he knew he was already go to lose. All he did was to make copies of all their receipts and told them they could leave. Haven't heard from them since.

He also does his sons. That one has taken weeks to finish. He is in construction, and when one job is done, the union sends him on another job. So he can have several W-2's. This year there is one company he worked for and never received a W-2. He notified IRS. Still waiting to hear from them. He did receive a letter from IRS that they are looking into the company and the problem. All his son could find was one pay stub. So Spike filed with that and a copy of the letters to and from IRS. For 2015, his son has been on the same job and will be until 2020. Yea! Every night I lose control of my computer. Spike has it doing taxes. April 15th is my favorite night of the year. :angel:

Last edited:
I had a horrible night last night. Neuropathy in both legs. Never in my feet. I spent four hours just standing and walking after taking four gabapentin in a period of four hours. It was the second dose that finally stopped the pain. I see myself back in my wheelchair in another year or so. Now I am fine and able to do some housework that need doing.

My mental state is not so great today either. I need to have The Pirate come and stay for a day or two to help me. Time for me to get busy and get myself out of this funk. It is so not like me. :angel:

(((Hugs Addie)))

I broke my toe five weeks ago. It should be nearly healed by now, but it isn't. I wonder if it's the Sodium Risidronate (Actonel) that I take for osteoporosis. It "slows bone remodelling".

(((Hugs Addie)))

I broke my toe five weeks ago. It should be nearly healed by now, but it isn't. I wonder if it's the Sodium Risidronate (Actonel) that I take for osteoporosis. It "slows bone remodelling".

Thanks for the hugs. I need them today. Any chance of reducing the dosage so the toe will heal faster? Even a major bone like the ulna or femur usually is healed in five to six weeks. As long as there are no complications like a compound fracture. The toe bone is so small, you would think it would heal faster. (((Hugs))) back attcha. I broke one of the really thin bones on the outside of my foot. It was healed in four weeks. I took the cast off myself in week five. Of course that was during my "I know it all. So don't tell me." days. I hope it gets the message and heals more quickly for you. :angel:

Oh boy! I am on the warpath today. Winthrop is trying to get everyone who has a computer at home and are computer savvy to use their new feature "My Chart."

I can use it to make an appointment, order refills, etc. So they send me a list of upcoming appointments. At 6:00 am. Do they really think I am going to go there at that hour? And they are set for just three minutes apart. Five of them are for blood work and they are allowing only three minutes. It takes them at least five minutes just to find a vein.

So I do have an appointment tomorrow that I have known about for six months. I have printed out this stupid appointment list. Including their questionnaire. The same one for every appointment. The last question wants to know if I have been to South Africa and near anyone with Ebola. If they send one more, I am going to give them the answer they never expected. I will be making plans to go there two days ahead and leave for Sierra Leone. Then I will tell them I will be back in time for my appointment. I will start checking off "Yes" on their questionnaire.

Six times they have sent the same notice for this appointment. They must think I am really stupid and won't keep the appointment. I want out of this "My Chart" program. Oooh, I can't wait for tomorrow! :angel:

Thanks for the hugs. I need them today. Any chance of reducing the dosage so the toe will heal faster? Even a major bone like the ulna or femur usually is healed in five to six weeks. As long as there are no complications like a compound fracture. The toe bone is so small, you would think it would heal faster. (((Hugs))) back attcha. I broke one of the really thin bones on the outside of my foot. It was healed in four weeks. I took the cast off myself in week five. Of course that was during my "I know it all. So don't tell me." days. I hope it gets the message and heals more quickly for you. :angel:
Thanks for the hugs Addie.

It would be hard to cut down the dosage. I take one pill, once a week. I am going to phone my doctor. I'm just trying to get the energy to deal with the receptionist and possibly the answering machine. I don't even know if the medication is the problem. Yeah, every other time I have broken bones they have healed in six weeks or less, but I'm not getting any younger.

It depends on the setup, Carol. In our town, we do a first come first served. My BIL on the East Coast does it by appointments. It would not hurt to check.

My BIL went to the one in our area, and he's the one who told me that it's first come first served and he went a couple times and the line was so long he left. Finally he went before they open and was 5th in line. As long as I get there before Apr 15. I have a feeling that now might be a good time to go because there might be a lot of people waiting until the last minute. Some people are in a hurry to get their money back. I know the sooner I get it, the sooner it will be spent.

Last edited:
I washed my swimsuits in the machine, in cold water on delicate. My favorite black and white suit came out with orange sunscreen stains on the straps and back. I've seen the orange stains before, on tshirt swimsuit coverups. So I did what I thought would be most effective, I soaked the swimsuit in Oxyclean. Very bad idea. Now it's oranger than ever.

After checking with my friend, Google, I found out the sunscreen ingredient reacts with Oxyclean, and along with our lovely hard well water, which helps set the stains, makes everything worse. Grrrrrrr.

It's now soaking in Dawn dish detergent. I have a feeling it's not salvagable. And I'm not happy, it was a style I really liked, and expensive to boot.

Last edited:
Taxes

After that red eye flight last week, I helped my BIL in Nassau County (Long Island) with the AARP group.
We were open today, and there were very few people coming in. We were done by 12:30

I washed my swimsuits in the machine, in cold water on delicate. My favorite black and white suit came out with orange sunscreen stains on the straps and back. I've seen the orange stains before, on tshirt swimsuit coverups. So I did what I thought would be most effective, I soaked the swimsuit in Oxyclean. Very bad idea. Now it's oranger than ever.

After checking with my friend, Google, I found out the sunscreen ingredient reacts with Oxyclean, and along with our lovely hard well water, which helps set the stains, makes everything worse. Grrrrrrr.

It's now soaking in Dawn dish detergent. I have a feeling it's not salvagable. And I'm not happy, it was a style I really liked, and expensive to boot.

Dawg, Woolen one piece with leggings went out of style at the turn of the last Century!

History of Bathing Suits (PICTURES)

Don't wait for them to come back. :angel:

OOO-ER!Sorry to hear about your health woes Addie and Taxi.

Thanks for the hugs Addie.

It would be hard to cut down the dosage. I take one pill, once a week. I am going to phone my doctor. I'm just trying to get the energy to deal with the receptionist and possibly the answering machine. I don't even know if the medication is the problem. Yeah, every other time I have broken bones they have healed in six weeks or less, but I'm not getting any younger.
Sorry to hear about your health woes, Taxy and Addie. Hopw things are improving.

We have a General Election pending over here and a would-be Member of Parliament was speaking on the lunchtime news on the radio. He said he’s “in charge” of the National Health Service (for his party, if it gets in, presumably) and was speaking about hospital Accident and Emergency admission delays. He said "People are living longer and being admitted to hospital with more complex conditions" and announced, in a rather threatening voice, "WE HAVE A WAY OF DEALING WITH THIS” :ermm::ermm::ermm:

Somewhat disturbing, I feel. (Rat poison, string across the top stair?) Methinks we’d better start forging our birth certificates.

Dawg, Woolen one piece with leggings went out of style at the turn of the last Century!

History of Bathing Suits (PICTURES)

Don't wait for them to come back. :angel:
That was an entertaining link Addie. The part about the bathing machines reminded me of a spa in Denmark. I remember staying there as a kid. There weren't any bathing machines, but there was a ladies' and a mens' pier with a small house at the end. One walked to the house, disrobed, and climbed down a ladder nekkid to go for a swim. The ladder was in the floor of the dressing room. I don't remember if the walls of the dressing room went into the water or if there were flaps or something, but no one from outside could see you get into the water.

Sorry to hear about your health woes, Taxy and Addie. Hopw things are improving.

We have a General Election pending over here and a would-be Member of Parliament was speaking on the lunchtime news on the radio. He said he’s “in charge” of the National Health Service (for his party, if it gets in, presumably) and was speaking about hospital Accident and Emergency admission delays. He said "People are living longer and being admitted to hospital with more complex conditions" and announced, in a rather threatening voice, "WE HAVE A WAY OF DEALING WITH THIS” :ermm::ermm::ermm:

Somewhat disturbing, I feel. (Rat poison, string across the top stair?) Methinks we’d better start forging our birth certificates.
Thanks MC, getting better slowly.

Some days I really hate politicians. How is the NHS holding up? Here, they keep claiming not-enough-money and the waiting times keep getting longer. I have a number of friends who can't find a GP who can take them as a regular patient. They have to go to walk-in clinics for everything.

We went up to the tax service this morning and they were full and turning people away saying come back on Thursday. It's getting close. When we got home we tried going online but didn't understand what we were doing and DH said we will go back on Thursday, early, before they open and wait in line. I think if I could see it done online once I would understand how to do it in the future. Actually, if we would stop having the taxes withheld from DH's pension check I don't think we would be resquired to file at all, but since we gamble, I like having that money paid in to cover the taxes on gambling winnings, of which we had none this year. So we have to file to get it back.

Taxlady, I'm glad that I established myself with a GP back in my 40's so I don't have to worry about finding a doctor who is taking new patients. As long as I show up once a year for a general checkup I'm in his files.

Instead of rushing during the last week of tax filing deadline you can always file an extension (form 4868) by April 15 which gives you 6 additional months to file your 1040. And if you know you'll owe money to the IRS an estimated amount should also be sent along with your extension.

Last edited:
Thanks MC, getting better slowly.

Some days I really hate politicians. How is the NHS holding up? Here, they keep claiming not-enough-money and the waiting times keep getting longer. I have a number of friends who can't find a GP who can take them as a regular patient. They have to go to walk-in clinics for everything.
The good old NHS struggles on. As a friend who is a senior nurse in A&E was saying the other day, if they employed fewer "bean counters" there'd be more money to pay for what the NHS is there for.

As for GPs, they can't refuse to accept you unless they have really good reasons, which usually means their list is full up. They can't refuse you on the grounds that your illness is too expensive or for any reasons concerned with your life-style. There has been a recent change in the law which means you can sign up with a practice even if you aren't within their catchment area if they have room on their list.

Part of the problem is that people insist on clogging up the system by presenting with minor illnesses or injuries that could easily be dealt with at home. For example people go to the GP with colds or minor injuries. A problem, I suppose with a "free at the point of use" system.

All things considered and despite it's faults, we are very lucky to have it. At least no-one here dies in childbirth or loses a baby because they can't afford the proper care.

Last edited:
The main reason people here are having a hard time finding a GP is that all the GPs already have all the patients they can handle. I have had the same GP since the early '90s. I like her, so I didn't change GP when I moved. She's 23 km/15 miles from where I live now. Yep, even with the problems, it's really nice to have nationalized health care.

Instead of rushing during the last week of tax filing deadline you can always file an extension (form 4868) by April 15 which gives you 6 additional months to file your 1040. And if you know you'll owe money to the IRS an estimated amount should also be sent along with your extension.

Thursday is the next day for the AARP tax help, so we are going to be there an hour before they open. If that doesn't work, then I will just file a paper return again. I actually want to learn how to do it online. I am one of those old people who are not very computer savvy. Once I see it done, I will be OK for next time. They owe me money!

Back
Top Bottom