"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #4151
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have an HP printer that tells me to change an ink cart. when there's still a couple of months of printing left in it. I just ignore the repeated warnings until it actually runs out of ink.
This was quite a while ago. Maybe they stopped doing it. It wouldn't print, even though there was ink left. This happened mostly with the colour cartridges.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #4152
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
The problem is, most current consumer PC's come installed with Windows 8. If you're in the market for a new PC, chances are, you'll end up with Windows 8. You don't have much choice there.

you are exactly right, roadfix--i know, cause i am one of those unfortunate consumers who got stuck with windows 8 when i bought a new computer late last year. it makes my blood boil, that i am besieged by defects and glitches -- a regular occurrence with this half-baked, pre-production windows 8 program. (thanks a lot, microsoft)

Old 01-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #4153
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I agree, XP was the best. I still use a laptop with XP. I'm also using another new laptop with Windows 8 and am still learning how to use it. I think Microsoft went the other way on this OS and made it user 'unfriendly' for regular laptops and desktops.
RF, just ignore Metro and you will find it is pretty much the same as Windows 7

Install 3rd party start menu program Classic Shell, my hubby uses it and it is great he says

Classic Shell Start Menu
Old 01-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #4154
Executive Chef

Quote:
I agree, XP was the best. I still use a laptop with XP. I'm also using another new laptop with Windows 8 and am still learning how to use it. I think Microsoft went the other way on this OS and made it user 'unfriendly' for regular laptops and desktops.
3 cheers for XP. Although, in all honesty I still think Windows 98 was pretty cool LOL

I upgraded to Vista a few years back, it was ok but I really missed my XP so put it back on. When that machine died it was time to face the music because you couldn't buy a new one with XP any longer .

But then I thought about my local computer repair shop .. called them up and yep .. they would build me a new computer with XP for less than buying retail without getting XP .. so that's what I did.

I'm still using XP and until it's impossible to get it installed anywhere anymore I will use it .. and when I die I'm gonna be buried in an XP box LOL

I'm just too old and easily confused to use the newer OS .. old habits die hard and this old dog just isn't into new tricks
Old 01-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #4155
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a Mac, so I dont have any issues
Old 01-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #4156
Chef Extraordinaire

Next Tuesday my whole apartment is going to be painted. So I have been clearing the walls and open shelves. Amazing what you find behind things that you haven't pulled out for cleaning. This morning I pulled out a small bureau that I keep all my baking stuff in and for a junk drawer. It is small, but heavy. I managed to get some serious chest pains. I got the message and stopped. I just love my nitro spray. It works in about two seconds.

I am getting different messages from the painter and the office. The painter is telling me not to do any moving, he will do it. Management is telling me that I have to pull all furniture away from the walls. I won't be here when he is painting. Tuesday morning is when I have my appointment with my vascular doctor. When I get back, he will still be here. I am going to grab some stuff I will need for the afternoon and head for my daughter's home. The painter said it would take just one day. He has to put a coat of Kilz on first. Then the regular paint. And he also has to paint the ceilings.

This is a rush job. HUD is coming at the beginning of February for inspections of the apartments and building. The last inspection management got reamed because of the condition of my walls and ceilings. I had a big crack in my ceiling and part of my ceiling fell down. So they know that my apartment will be inspected again. What really has me ticked off to the max is that management has known this for six months since the last inspection.

I refuse to ask any of my kids to help me. It is not their job. This problem belongs to management. If the apartment is not ready for the painter, oh well! Nothing I can do about it. Everytime HUD finds a major problem, management loses money. The inspection is done by points. The more points, the more money management loses.

This building is a "self sustaining" building. It means that we can take care of ourselves with no or a minimum of outside help. How the heck did they come up with the idea that moving furniture is a self sustaining activity? Idiots! I am surrounded by Idiots!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #4157
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Another Spider Solitaire addict.

For copying the pictures, try right clicking on the picture. If you are using FireFox, you should get a context menu with the option to "copy picture". It might work in other browsers too.
Like a charm, taxlady, like a charm. Thanks!

Maybe my problem with Spider Solitaire is just as well -- I'm not spending nearly so much time on it these days. When I see the number of games I've played....
Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #4158
Head Chef

Boys howdy, Addie - it's never a dull moment at your place isn't it?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #4159
Head Chef

Ugh, back to the grind (first day going back to school). But, I decided I'm going to drop one of my classes I'm taking that isn't a prerequisite, and concentrate on keeping my 4.0, and trying to get into the program I want without an AA degree, instead of hedging my bets with classes aimed toward the AA in case I don't get in. If I get in my first time applying, I won't have time to finish the AA anyway, and it would just be a waste of time and money. I'm not much of a gambler, but as long as I keep the 4.0 I should get in without the 2 pts the AA is worth... Ugh I hope I'm right!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #4160
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Ugh, back to the grind (first day going back to school). But, I decided I'm going to drop one of my classes I'm taking that isn't a prerequisite, and concentrate on keeping my 4.0, and trying to get into the program I want without an AA degree, instead of hedging my bets with classes aimed toward the AA in case I don't get in. If I get in my first time applying, I won't have time to finish the AA anyway, and it would just be a waste of time and money. I'm not much of a gambler, but as long as I keep the 4.0 I should get in without the 2 pts the AA is worth... Ugh I hope I'm right!
Sounds reasonable to me. Don't wear yourself out. It seems likely that you are increasing your chances of being accepted on your first try, by concentrating on the prerequisite courses. You can always take those other courses later, if you need to.