Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate to even say this for fear of jinxing myself, but I am way overdue for jury duty. There are2 significant trials coming up in our county. One is a teenager who went on a knife spree in the high school, and the other is the wife of an acquaintance who was stealing drugs from her employer, a small local pharmacy, and selling them, probably to support a gambling habit. I could probably be excused from that one since I know these people, but the school stabbing scares me.

One time I was on jury duty and the trial began and I thought, oh my goodness, I do know something about this case. It turned out I worked with the plaintiff's sister. I raised my hand and told the judge and he asked me if it would make a difference in my decision on the case and I said no and he said I could remain on the jury. I was so glad that at lunch time they settled out of court.

We usually get several months advance summons notice and also a chance to postpone for any reason.
I had jury duty last week but didn't have to show up until Thursday. I showed up on Thursday and I was among about 150 in the room. They kept calling up groups of people throughout the day and at the end of the day I was among a few left who were never called and at 4pm we were dismissed for good. We wont be receiving another summons notices in the mail for at least another year.

Last year I was called for jury duty, and actually was looking forward to it. A very interesting case. However, the defendant didn't bother to show up, so after waiting for quite a while, we were all sent home. And the defendant got a warrent and was in a lot of deep trouble.

Last edited:
I've been called up few times, both federal and local cases. Honestly i do not want to seat on a jury. Luckily, i have been excused.

My step-daughter got a jury duty summons about a week after she turned 21. LOL We couldn't believe it. It was a situation where you had to call the day before and she didn't have to go. Her second time was just recently, at age 46, but she had to go for that one.

I would like to go for an interesting trial, but the high school stabbing would not be my choice. No one was killed, thank God. I do feel sorry for the kid who did it, after being bullied for years. And also for his family who said they had no clue. But that does not relieve him of his guilt.

I would like the drug trial, because I feel very strongly about that. Not just the drug sales, but also the fact that she was stealing from her employers who was paying her a very good wage.

I was in a pool of possible jurors a few years after we moved here. Dear Himself drove me around Worcester two weekends in a row so I would have no trouble finding a place to park or find my way into the courthouse. After sitting in a huge room with about 150 other people, switching between working on cross stitch and reading a book, I was called into the courtroom with others. Turns out they picked jurors 1-12...and I was holding #13. Got to go home.

Himself did Grand Jury duty back in OH. It was for three consecutive months, going in the first workday of the month and going through possible cases. They never saw trials since the only job of a Grand Jury is deciding if there is enough evidence for an actual trial.

I have been a registered voter for 33 years and have *never* been called for jury duty :( I've always wanted to.
I wonder if you'll be getting a summons in the next mailing...:whistling

Dumb thief.
My daughter operates a beauty salon and after servicing a couple of clients yesterday morning she noticed her phone was missing. She immediately called her husband to track the location of her phone using his phone. They tracked the phone to a small apartment building a few miles away from her salon. When they got to the doorstep they remotely triggered the alarm on the missing phone and clearly heard the alarm coming from that apartment unit. Then all of a sudden a woman in her 50's steps out of that apartment with a blaring phone in her purse. The woman, startled to see my daughter there immediately hands her phone back to her telling her that she found it.
That woman was my daughter's long time, regular client from that morning.

Wow. Glad it worked out, Roadfix! Dumb thief indeed! That's a real breach of trust.

Last edited:
Wow, roadfix....that does take a lot of nerve. Dumb nerve, but nerve. :mad: Would have like to see the thief's expression when your daughter caught her red handed. :D

The thief stated she "found" the phone. LOL....
She can clearly see that it was my daughter's phone. The wallpaper showed a pic of her and her kids on the screen.
They're reviewing the salon's security camera records from yesterday to see exactly when and how it happened.
My daughter pretty much doubts she'll ever be back again. Returning for service will be just too awkward.

This was my daughter's 2nd time tracking down her phone. About 6 months ago she left her phone in a public restroom and later realized what she had done. The phone was later tracked to a business location about 10 miles away but unfortunately in that incident she was not able to recover the phone.

Last edited:
Geez, roadfix, what a pain. Glad your daughter was able to get her phone back. I would have gone all postal on that client.

...I wonder if the dumb thief will be back as a client.
If she's smart, she won't be back. I guess I'm expecting a lot, huh? :LOL:

IF she does return, I hope your daughter gives her a "very special" haircut, roadfix! Hee Hee!

How stupid could you be to steal the phone of your beautician?? What a dumb-ss.

Geez, roadfix, what a pain. Glad your daughter was able to get her phone back. I would have gone all postal on that client.

If she's smart, she won't be back. I guess I'm expecting a lot, huh? :LOL:

IF she does return, I hope your daughter gives her a "very special" haircut, roadfix! Hee Hee!

So, I never stole a phone, so why did I get the special haircut? A 1 inch layered look all over. What did I do to deserve this?:mellow:

"But you SAID 'short'! I cut it "short".:huh: And that's how you got your special haircut, PF. :LOL:

She did "snip,snip, snip..." then asked how it looked. I said I had no idea, I needed my glasses to see it. That was an "Oh No!" moment. When Shrek saw it, it was an "OH NO!!!!!" 30 minutes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom