Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate when people call me a food snob for not using canned soups. For decades I could only find two soups that didn't have MSG. I avoid MSG because it makes my head feel weird. The two soups that didn't (and still don't) have MSG were Howard Johnson's Clam chowder and Habitant French Canadian Pea Soup. I have used those for years. I also don't buy salad dressing because they all used to have MSG, so I learned easy homemade salad dressings and now I can't be bothered to buy them.

I hate when people call me a food snob for not using canned soups. For decades I could only find two soups that didn't have MSG. I avoid MSG because it makes my head feel weird. The two soups that didn't (and still don't) have MSG were Howard Johnson's Clam chowder and Habitant French Canadian Pea Soup. I have used those for years. I also don't buy salad dressing because they all used to have MSG, so I learned easy homemade salad dressings and now I can't be bothered to buy them.

Being a food snob is not about what you will and won't use when you cook. It's about your attitude towards what others do when they don't do what you do.

I only went to one, I was told that I had an unsophisticated palate!
i have a confession- Kayelle and I had a layover at the Atlanta airport, and there was a wine shop featuring wine tastings. We got these three samplers and I commented on the nose and the taste of the wines. She was very impressed until she found I had read it off the tasting notes that was under the glass!:)
That is when she gave me the "roll eyes" :rolleyes:

I don't use cake mixes because I don't care for the taste or texture, but if one came out that tasted like scratch, I'd probably give it a try. I know exactly why some people use cake mixes, scratch cakes can be tricky to get right sometimes.

DH is very happy with a box mix cake. He remembers his mother who would never made a cake from a box mix. He said her cakes were all dry and tasteless. If he is happy with Betty Crocker, why should I make more work for myself!!!

Speaking of box cake mixes, I read something on FB that in order to make a bakery style cake, suggested adding to a box mix an extra egg or two, and using melted butter instead of or in addition to the oil. Since I rarely bake or eat cake, I haven't tried these ideas.

Duncan Hines used make (for all I know they still do) a snack cake that you just added water and mixed it in the pan. I liked those better than other cake mixes.

DH is very happy with a box mix cake. He remembers his mother who would never made a cake from a box mix. He said her cakes were all dry and tasteless. If he is happy with Betty Crocker, why should I make more work for myself!!!

She obviously never made Hershy's Chocolate cake. :angel:

Duncan Hines used make (for all I know they still do) a snack cake that you just added water and mixed it in the pan. I liked those better than other cake mixes.

I made those in college many eons ago. They weren't bad.

Speaking of box cake mixes, I read something on FB that in order to make a bakery style cake, suggested adding to a box mix an extra egg or two, and using melted butter instead of or in addition to the oil. Since I rarely bake or eat cake, I haven't tried these ideas.

Anytime I would use a yellow cake mix, I always added extra vanilla. And I only used the Ducan Hines butter mixes. They were always a lot more moist.

Two days ago I made the Hershey's Chocolate cake again. Only I did it in three layers this time. I forgot to take a picture of it. How did it come out? I have no idea since I can't have any. Too rich for a diabetic. :angel:

We were at my friend's wedding, the subject of food and cooking came up with some people that I had just met. They were quite nice, but proclaimed that they were "foodies", what came next was some of the most pretentious drivel that I've heard in a long time. It was kind of obnoxious. Why can't people discuss their love for food without saying "I'd NEVER use tomato sauce from a jar" or "the only bread worth eating is from La Farm".

It's totally cool that they have these preferences, I'm OK with that. When you make loud proclamations in mixed company, you just sound snobbish. Good for you if you enjoy $8 a loaf bread, or you are a master of marinara! Just don't try to elevate yourself by your preferences, it's annoying.

rant over! ;)

To put folks like that in their place, you expand the conversation. Go along and assume that they also can their own jellies and jams. Ask them leading questions such as which jams and jellies they prefer to can. Do they buy the berries from an organic farmer? After all you would never eat or use a jar from the store. So why should they. You make all your own jellies and jams. You let them know you are an organic farmer and grow you own berries. Whatever they brag about, you one up them. Your occupation is that of an organic baker. They do give up and finally walk away. And you just had a lot of fun at their expense. :angel:

I'm a fan of certain packaged mixes like taco seasoning. It tastes the way I like it and all the spices are pre-measured so it comes out the same way every time.

When I braise a meat, I leave the braising liquid unsalted. I measure the liquid to equal even numbers of cups, and add appropriately flavored packaged gravy mixes. It always comes out wonderful. Like BakeChef said, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

She obviously never made Hershy's Chocolate cake. :angel:

She would have screwed that up, too! DH doesn't eat chocolate cake. It has to be white or yellow. I've tried all the box mixes and Betty Crocker is my favorite, even though I can't eat cake anymore.

She would have screwed that up, too! DH doesn't eat chocolate cake. It has to be white or yellow. I've tried all the box mixes and Betty Crocker is my favorite, even though I can't eat cake anymore.

Don't feel bad. I had the skinniest slice of that cake. So skinny that I got mostly crumbs. But I made it healthy. I had a glass of cold milk with it. That's my story and I am sticking to it. The milk made it healthy. :angel:

That's exactly what I mean, I'd rather have a box cake than a dry tasteless cake! My dad loved yellow cake made from a boxed mix with homemade frosting and chopped walnuts.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

There are lots of recipes for "enhanced" cake mixes out there, I've made some and the texture and flavor do improve. I know that a lot of wedding cake makers do this. I was on a cake forum and a few years ago when all the companies downsized their mixes and added extra leavening so that they would still rise high, it messed up many people's enhanced recipes.

I'm finding it easier to find msg free canned soups, some of the Campbell's, especially the healthy request skip the msg. Rob has some sensitivities to it, or at least he thinks he does, so we just avoid it. I also found a store brand onion soup mix packet without msg.

I'm finding it easier to find msg free canned soups, some of the Campbell's, especially the healthy request skip the msg. Rob has some sensitivities to it, or at least he thinks he does, so we just avoid it. I also found a store brand onion soup mix packet without msg.

I have heard that it's easier to find canned soup with no MSG. I have looked and it takes a lot of looking. I also have to make sure they don't have soy or sweet potato. After decades of just ignoring most canned soup, I don't often think to look.

I would love to find an onion soup mix packet with no MSG. There are so many recipes that use onion soup mix.

Charlie, as crazy as it may sound, there are federal laws from the Dept. of Transportation covering the sounding of trains going through a crossing that has no gates. If I remember correctly, they have to keep blowing that horn for so many feet after the last car is past the crossing. And they are supposed to reduce their speed while going through that crossing. So it seems like it takes forever for the whole train to pass through. In the meantime, that dang horn is blowing and blowing and blowing. :angel:

That's the thing, there are gates. And depend on city council they can decide to have no sound train. Need to go the council meeting and complain.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Back
Top Bottom